New to Forum and Costa Rica compilation

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ClosetHerper

New to Forum and Costa Rica compilation

Post by ClosetHerper »

I have lurked here for some time, but living in Alaska, don't have many opportunities to see and photograph herps. I have recently registered to pick some of the brains of Forum members for an upcoming trip to Australia. I thought that I would also take the opportunity to share some of my images of herps (and other creatures) from 4 trips to Costa Rica between 2004 and 2009. In my travels, I am quite happy to find and photograph the common species, and probably spend more time with mammals and birds, but enjoy it all.

Forgive my use of common names and I am open to any corrections on ID.

Travels on the Caribbean coast from Tortuguerro to Manzanillo have perhaps been most productive for my herp hunting. In no particular order:
Neotropical green anole

Brown Basilisk

Strawberry poison dart frog

Green and Black Poison Dart Frog

Red-eyed tree frog

What has to be one of the most spectacular lizards...

Emerald Basilisk

My first snake in Costa Rica was this one. I let it bite me while capturing it and, while not sure if it was related or not, felt achy, especially in my joints, for 12 hours or so???!!!
Brown vine snake

My wife spotted this one from the car
Common boa

And probably the neatest herp I have ever seen.
For a bright yellow snake, it still takes a bit of scanning to spot them in the rainforest
Eyelash vipers
While talking to someone on a trail my wife spotted this one behind us
And while photographing this one:
She found this one:

While looking for the green alligator lizard (unsuccessfully) at 10,000 ft in the Talamanca Range
La Palma Salamander

And just a few from southwest Costa Rica

Spectacled caiman

West-slope form of red-eyed tree frog

Gladiator tree frog

Drab tree frog

And my only Fer de Lance (a neonate)

A spectacular crab in the mangroves of Golfo Dulce (I have not been able to identify this)

And some misc tropical bird and mammal life:

Male Three-toed sloth
Female with young

Baird's tapir

Wrinkle-faced bat eating fruit (spotted by my wife on a night hike)

Common tent making bats

Mantled howler monkeys

Spider monkey

Squirrel monkey

Bi-colored antbird

Chestnut mandibled toucan

On a night hike, the eyeshine from this Common Parauque on a nest at first looked like a huge snake's head!

Emerald toucanette

Groove-billed anis

Sunbittern

Great tinamou

And no trip to Costa Rica would be complete without a Resplendent Quetzal

thanks for looking!
Dr. Dark

Re: New to Forum and Costa Rica compilation

Post by Dr. Dark »

Fantastic photos! You (and your wife) found some great stuff in my favorite country in the world! That photo of the anis is spectacular!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Whoa, great photos! Whats the focal length on the lens you're using for the monkey and bird shots? Sounds like your wife is a pretty good person to have along with you out there she found alot of stuff for you!
I let it bite me while capturing it and, while not sure if it was related or not, felt achy, especially in my joints, for 12 hours or so???!!!
I would imagine that could be related to its venom, it is a rear fanged species. Was it in all your joints or just near the bite site? I was bitten by a Coniophanes and the joint of the finger that was bitten ached for a few hours as well.
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

Milo

Wonderful photography. Those bird photos are outstanding! Also, the schlegelii photos are great. I always have trouble with getting the colors of the oropel phase to come out with my photos, you nailed it!

Matt
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

That quetzal alone is enough to make me hate you forever!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I see you've been holding out on us! The boa shot is beautiful, the caiman is wonderful, but the bat holding the fruit is one of the coolest wildlife shots I've seen in a while.
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

Antonsrkn wrote:Whoa, great photos! Whats the focal length on the lens you're using for the monkey and bird shots?
Thanks for the comments.

I shoot Canon gear and the bird and mammal photos were mostly taken with a 600/4 lens, and a few with a 100-400/4.5-5.6. I use the 600 more than anything else, but on some hikes, take the 100-400 for convenience. The herp images were mostly taken with a 180/3.5 macro, although some of them (i.e. a few of the basilisk images) were taken with the 600 or 100-400. I am pretty low tech when it comes to flash: many of these are with natural light, or when using flash, with a single 580EX, often connected by a cord and held flat along the barrel of the macro lens.
pete

Post by pete »

Glad you came out of the closet!! Fantastic photos sir!
justinm

Post by justinm »

Every single photo was amazing, I enjoyed them all. Don't hold out on us ever again, your shots are really great. The Basilisk photos were some of the best I've seen of those guys. Great bird shots too. If you have more Sloth shots don't hold out, I have a special place in my heart for Sloths.

Justin
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

I had forgotten pics of a couple of snakes from the Osa Peninsula. Not pictured from that area are a 6 foot+ neotropical bird snake from our first trip to CR (slide film) and a huge DOR tiger rat snake:(. I'd love to see one of those alive.

Barred forest racer (in situ)

Brown chunk headed snake
Antonsrkn wrote:I would imagine that could be related to its venom, it is a rear fanged species. Was it in all your joints or just near the bite site? I was bitten by a Coniophanes and the joint of the finger that was bitten ached for a few hours as well.
As I recall it was all my joints that ached. I have heard varying reports of bites from vine snakes.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Awesome finds and photos. That wrinkle faced bat is a surreal looking critter. :shock: I had never heard of one before. The yellow eyelash viper has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Must've been cool to see those in the wild.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Great collection of photos. Your trips have sure been productive. Hope to get back to C. R. someday. .. :thumb:

TC
Lizardman1988

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Fantastic series of images! Makes me itch to get back to Costa Rica.

I think this guy is not Agalychnis callidryas, like your previous photos, but a different species of Agalychnis, most likely Agalychnis saltator. I'll try and confirm it when I get home.
Roki

Post by Roki »

Great shots! Love the post. I really love the shot of the pumilio, but really you have some amazing shots in here. I can definitely tell you got around to a wide variety of spots. The tapir shot is also one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.
Roki
ClosetHerper

Post by ClosetHerper »

Lizardman1988 wrote:Fantastic series of images! Makes me itch to get back to Costa Rica.

I think this guy is not Agalychnis callidryas, like your previous photos, but a different species of Agalychnis, most likely Agalychnis saltator. I'll try and confirm it when I get home.
Thanks if you can correct the ID. If it helps, this image was taken in the Golfito area
Lizardman1988

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Looks like that frog is indeed Agalychnis callidryas.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Really enjoyed this post a lot. I've been down there 3 times now and am hitting it for a 4th time this upcoming March. I've seen a decent amount of stuff but as I'm always on the Pacific coast near Dominical...I have yet to find an eyelash viper yet. Love seeing the ones on here. I really need to find one somewhere near there.