Subocs...

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tbrock

Subocs...

Post by tbrock »

I recently hatched a couple subocs, one of which is extremely aberrant - from a generic pairing.

The normal looking one.

The aberrant one.

-Toby Brock
Tom Lott

Re: Subocs...

Post by Tom Lott »

Toby - Congratulations on the subocs and your continued success with Senticolis. It should be interesting to see what happens as that little aberrant suboc grows - from the picts it appears to be a little smaller than the normal hatchling (or is it just my imagination)?
tbrock

Post by tbrock »

Tom Lott wrote:Toby - Congratulations on the subocs and your continued success with Senticolis. It should be interesting to see what happens as that little aberrant suboc grows - from the picts it appears to be a little smaller than the normal hatchling (or is it just my imagination)?
Thanks Tom - good to hear from you!

Not sure on the size difference between these - could be, but I am thinking it might be the camera angles and the normal one might look bigger because it is stretched out. Not sure, but when I look in on them, they seem to be about the same size to me, although I did not weigh them. Interestingly (to me) these little guys are very feisty - strange being offspring from such normally docile snakes.

BTW, I have gotten some well known and expereinced suboc breeders to look at the aberrant one, and got some comments at opposite ends of the spectrum from two of them. I may post them later. I can hardly wait to see how it develops and what else comes from these snakes...
Jlassiter

Post by Jlassiter »

Sweet subocs Toby.
I still say striped blonde......lol
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Congrats and good luck with that aberrant.
tbrock

Post by tbrock »

Jlassiter wrote:Sweet subocs Toby.
Thanks John - that's what it "looks" like to me too. Its sibling just shed yesterday, and I was hoping that it would have shed by today - this baby has me a little bit excited. I hope it is a male and its sibling is a female, so I can breed it to a blonde too...
tbrock

Post by tbrock »

Ross Padilla wrote:Congrats and good luck with that aberrant.
Thanks Ross!
Jlassiter

Post by Jlassiter »

tbrock wrote:
Thanks John - that's what it "looks" like to me too. Its sibling just shed yesterday, and I was hoping that it would have shed by today - this baby has me a little bit excited. I hope it is a male and its sibling is a female, so I can breed it to a blonde too...
................And back to it's mother...............
tbrock

Post by tbrock »

Jlassiter wrote:
tbrock wrote:
................And back to it's mother...............
Yeah - that too!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Cool Babies. Has anyone who ever kept these guys ever given them vertically oriented hides? I found out accidentally with one specimen and then repeated it in the env of others and noticed how they glom to that strategy of shelter/repose. It means a little pleasurable inventiveness for us as conventional hides - be they purchased or appropriated from household artifact are usually visualized as flat floor open 'arches' or caves. But a myriad of cryptic space dimension exist in biome, where snakes assume a variety of rest and ambush positions, and when given those opportunities to use, sp often do in a way that shows a defined intent. just a fun notation/inquiry.

* by vertically i dont mean arboreal - but enveloped laterally from the floor up.
tspuckler

Post by tspuckler »

I don't know what I would call it, but I sure do like it.

Tim
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Wow, Toby,
It looks like the inverted Hs like a blond, with hollow centers and stripes.
You have got to take a pic every year to see how that ends up. :thumb:
tbrock

Post by tbrock »

Sorry I missed your comments Kelly Mc, Tim, and Bill - haven't been to the site in several days.

Kelly - I have envisioned a very tall cage with a rock or faux rock wall in the rear - reaching to near the top of the cage, with hides built into the wall, and maybe with pull-out hide / drawers (somehow) built in. I have an old computer hutch I am eyeing for the project - but can't decide whether I want to keep a pair of green rats in it or a pair of subocs. Having seen them on rock cuts in their native habitat, I would be aiming for the same thing inside a cage - maybe even with tunnels / pass throughs from one hide to another, and heated, unheated, dry and moist hides available. I am sure the same effect could be created in a much less elaborate setup as well.

Tim - Thanks, and me too!

Bill - I am probably going to take pics of it every couple months! Yep, one of the suboc gurus I talked to thinks it looks like a "striped blonde" which is unknown at this time. That is what it looks like to me too...

-Toby
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

tbrock wrote:
I have envisioned a very tall cage with a rock or faux rock wall in the rear - reaching to near the top of the cage, with hides built into the wall, and maybe with pull-out hide / drawers (somehow) built in. I have an old computer hutch I am eyeing for the project - but can't decide whether I want to keep a pair of green rats in it or a pair of subocs. Having seen them on rock cuts in their native habitat, I would be aiming for the same thing inside a cage - maybe even with tunnels / pass throughs from one hide to another, and heated, unheated, dry and moist hides available. I am sure the same effect could be created in a much less elaborate setup as well.

-Toby

That sounds incredibly cool!
mwentz

Post by mwentz »

tbrock wrote:Sorry I missed your comments Kelly Mc, Tim, and Bill - haven't been to the site in several days.

Kelly - I have envisioned a very tall cage with a rock or faux rock wall in the rear - reaching to near the top of the cage, with hides built into the wall, and maybe with pull-out hide / drawers (somehow) built in. I have an old computer hutch I am eyeing for the project - but can't decide whether I want to keep a pair of green rats in it or a pair of subocs. Having seen them on rock cuts in their native habitat, I would be aiming for the same thing inside a cage - maybe even with tunnels / pass throughs from one hide to another, and heated, unheated, dry and moist hides available. I am sure the same effect could be created in a much less elaborate setup as well.

I love that idea, I currently have a few different hides in my kingsnake enclosures. moist hides, dry hides, and a few different temperatures. I see the snakes cruising from one hide to another all the time. The only time I see them spend all day in one hide, is the day after feeding, and they sit on the heat all day. I think with the different hides, I get to see them more active, than without.
Matt

I forgot to add, different substrates also. wood shavings, moss, coco husks, etc....
tbrock

Post by tbrock »

Thanks Kelly - the computer hutch is still being used as a computer hutch, but I do plan to liberate it in the near future.

mwentz - I have been provinding multiple hides of different types, sizes, temps, moisture etc. for years, and I think it is the only way to keep many snake species healthy and thriving in captivity. Aside from providing security, thermoregulation, and moisture - this also adds interest for the snakes. I will sometimes rearrange furnishings, or put different hides in the tubs / cages, and also will sometimes use a different substrate.