anyone been to Fraser Island in Australia?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bryceman

anyone been to Fraser Island in Australia?

Post by bryceman »

Has anyone here herped around Fraser Island area? Snorkeled? I am headed out there in Feb and would like to hear of anyone's experiences on the island. I would love to go herp it and get in the water. I am an avid free diver! Are sea snakes common there?

Thanks for any replies or stories!

Bryce
quasimoto

Re: anyone been to Fraser Island in Australia?

Post by quasimoto »

I went with a school trip when I was studying Marine Bio in Queensland back in 2010. Unfortunately we were not allowed to do much real herping due to concern about non herp-savvy people getting bitten, but I did come across a big coastal carpet python wrapped around a branch right next to a main trail, and a small eyed snake during a night insect survey. Others saw an eastern brown as well, all of these were in the 'rainforest' habitats, though we had a few lace monitors that would come through the sandy/drier area where we were camped out. Also, many of the lakes have tons of turtles in them, but be careful swimming in those lakes cuz you might get nipped! We didnt get to go in the ocean because of the risk of box jellies (school policy again), but at least where I was on the ocean-facing side the water was pretty turbulent and not ideal for swimming/looking for anything interesting. Hope that helps and enjoy!

Rory
bryceman

Post by bryceman »

Sounds like a great trip you had ! Looks like a beautiful place. Is one allowed to roam the island without going on a tour? Or is everything done with a tour? I would love to just rent a 4x4 and camp myself if possible. Do they allow that?
page whatley

Post by page whatley »

Just the northern territory, it was a dream come true for me. Hope ours is as rewarding
speedy

Post by speedy »

Hi Bryce,

Fraser is a great place, I spent some of my honeymoon there. Unfortunately didn't get to do any herping, but there is plenty on the island. You are able to travel around the island yourself, you will need a good four wheel drive, a park permit (about $40 for a month) and it pays to have some four wheel driving skills. We came across a lot of stuck vehicles, they were usually only stuck because they didn't know what they were doing.

Cheers

Ryan
Rags

Post by Rags »

Hi Bryce,

We visited Fraser Island in 2004 as part of an organised tour, two days and one night, it was a beautiful place. As Ryan said, it is possible to do the island on your own with a four wheel drive. The main beach/road runs the length of the island and can spring some nasty surprises on the unwary drivers. We were advised not to swim off the beach due to strong currents and the presence of sharks. There is a hill overlooking the sea which is a good shark watching point, it may have been called Indian Heads or similar. The perched lakes on the island are superb for swimming. Lake Birabeen was full of fish and terrapins but not as clear as the other lakes. Dingo are ever present.

During our visit to the mainland area we stayed at the Urangan Motor Inn at Hervey Bay. Cheap and clean with a little swimming pool. One of the most spectacular sights were the thousands of fruit bats that leave their roosts at dusk and fly over to the island to feed. The sky seems to be full of them, it was truly memorable. Back then one of the roosts was behind Tesco in Hervey Bay. There is a place to hire push bikes in HB too. Also chance of Humpback Whales at certain times of the year.

Have a great time, Rags.