Any ideas on what this odd wild-caught corn has produced??

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

FLjeep74

Any ideas on what this odd wild-caught corn has produced??

Post by FLjeep74 »

I shared this on another forum too. Just wondering if anybody has any insight to what is going on here. This is some follow up to a wild-caught corn from 2006 and his offspring.

This hatchling corn was found in August of 2006 in Levy County, FL. Here are some pics of him the night he was found.

At this point he seemed to look like some sort of Amel, but not quite like any others I'd seen. Over the next year he started to lose a lot of his 'Amel' look and began to look almost like a Hypo but he definitely wasn't lacking dark pigment. He almost became peach colored around his saddles.

As he's gotten older he's become much more orange and peach looking.

Not being sure exactly what/who to breed him with, I decided to mate him with a normal Miami Phase female that I had. She laid 9 eggs, 6 of which survived. The largest one happened to be a female which was perfect.

This is his Daughter, shortly after she laid this years eggs. She's definitely a bit different looking, almost having a light bronze/pewter color to her.

Of 18 eggs she laid, 14 were odd looking like he was as a hatchling. Here are some of his daughters offspring.

This is one of the 4 'normal' looking corns. This one still seems to have coloring like his mom. Seems most corns continually change as they grow, so who knows how this guy/gal will turn out.

These are some of the ones that look kinda like dad did.

This one is somewhat light throughout.

some of them are very, very orange and their bellies almost blood red.

I'm really not sure what exactly the dad is nor what his 'odd' looking offspring have become. They don't look a ton like anything else I've seen.

If anybody has any insight to what might be going on with these or any thoughts on their genetics it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Mike
Sam Bacchini

Re: Any ideas on what this odd wild-caught corn has produced

Post by Sam Bacchini »

I think that's what they call the Ultramel morph.
justinm

Post by justinm »

There are so many corn morphs that I lost track years ago. There are some good Corn websites with people who could likely give you all the insight you're seeking.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Was the original male in an area that he could have been an escaped/released pet, or offspring thereof? Not trying to step on toes but the youngsters obviously show strong genetics going on there.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Really digging the 4th baby down by the way!
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

'Jeep, good to see you here. Your 5th image looks remarkably similar to this Highlands county animal.

(Count me in as a Mia fan.)

Tim