borneo bloods hatching

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Markus Oulehla

borneo bloods hatching

Post by Markus Oulehla »

Beside my time in the field I also spend lots of time with my captive snakes.
I started keeping snakes 8 years ago with a little borneo bloodpython, Python breitensteini.
2 years later I got a nice female, quite red, but pattern and the scales indicate P. breitensteini....

here's a picture of the pair as sub-adults...

I saw the first matings a few years ago, spread over the whole year. The female was getting thicker and thicker a few times and all I got was a big load of crap^^

Finally, in june...

24 eggs, unfortunatly just 20 of them fit into the incubator...

The timing was perfect, as they should hatch a few days after I returned from my summer holydays (my mom had an eye on the eggs).
I set the incubator on ~30°C, it was quite hot that time, so I had around 32°C and more in my flat...
Still I had to wait for 71days to see the first one looking out of the egg :)
I cut some open to check if they are fine 2 days before, this was the first who made it by itself

then they others follwed...

here they are, 19 out of 20 eggs (one goes bed in the last days...)

As they are my first snakes I'm really happy to have these little worms, although they're just breitensteinis they all look a little different and some are real stunners!
Of courese they all are suuper cute and not snappy at all, rather shy, actually it's quite hard to feed them....
But I'll keep you updated.
Sam Bacchini

Re: borneo bloods hatching

Post by Sam Bacchini »

That's awesome, congrats!
pete

Post by pete »

Beautiful!
Congratulations :thumb:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

What great animals and a great post.

I love Bloods - I have always seen them as shy. They are heavy and cryptic and not able to flee quickly, and they know it. Its funny .. with animals that remind us more of ourselves, even in a simple organizational way, when they bite or fight when cornered its recognized as fearful and defensive behavior, yet when snakes do the same, it registers in our human psychology as aggression. Even by snake people sometimes.

Great photos - Lovely and special
TerrencexYK11

Post by TerrencexYK11 »

Nice hatchlings! I'm planning to breed briets as well in the coming years. Currently collecting WC specimens and they're feeding good. Any tips to share? Do drop me a PM if you wish =)
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Congratulations!!! Being a father is the best feeling in the world! Just for the record, these are officially called "Bornean Short-tailed Pythons".
dery

Post by dery »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Congratulations!!! Being a father is the best feeling in the world! Just for the record, these are officially called "Bornean Short-tailed Pythons".
Yes it is. Most of my hatchlings are anoles though. So They escape or get eaten within a week or so. :(
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

A big tub o' slugs! Squee! Congrats!!