anyone use heat cable in a rack?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jayder85

anyone use heat cable in a rack?

Post by jayder85 »

Justbuilt a new rack and had every intentions of using a six inch strip of flexwatt on each shelf. But then I saw online an ad for heat cable? How well does it work and do any of you use it?
Jeremy Westerman

Re: anyone use heat cable in a rack?

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

We use it with no problems at my work, in a standard manufactured breeder rack that has built in heat cable holder tabs. Several configurations were possible for laying the heat cable so it was time consuming making sure each tray had a hot and cold spot. Only problems I have experienced are sometimes the trays snag a loose loop and it has to be put back, but that might not be an issue with homemade racks. We use for colubrids and ball pythons etc. I don't think it is mind blowing cool or anything it just gets the job done.
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

The issue I will have is that my rack has top amd bottom melamine shelving. I guess I could use a router to make a channel for the cable to fit in?
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

i use a heat cable with no issue. i have it zig-zaging up a laminated partical board bookshelf and i just taped it down with electrical tape. cages are sterilite boxes with snap lids from wall mart. i also bent some large paper clamps to be sure that they stay shut.
the heat cable is the way to go for heating convenience. i've accumulated alot of heating pads over the years but i think that i am going to make the switch to cables and racks now that my collection is to big to house in aquariums and heat matts.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I have two animal plastics racks that have this. They've got a channel on the base boards that houses the heat cable. I've bred a lot of snakes with this setup.