Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DaneConley

Peeling Bark?

Post by DaneConley »

umop apisdn

Re: Peeling Bark?

Post by umop apisdn »

Generally, springtime. Just take notice of how all of the dead trees get stripped right around that time. :(
DracoRJC

Post by DracoRJC »

NO SCARLET KINGS FOR YOU
DracoRJC

Post by DracoRJC »

NO SCARLET KINGS FOR YOU
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

DracoRJC wrote:NO SCARLET KINGS FOR YOU
Get the hell out of here! You got buttermilks and atroxs, let me be happy!
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I believe it was Terry Dunham who told me that some herpers would take carpet and wrap it around the base of trees (secured with rope or other form of tie) as a form of AC (artifical bark may seem more like it).

Has anyone tried this? I'd imagine the carpet would hold moisture well, but may not provide good enough heat retention.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Dane, I sincerely hope you are kidding, or just stirring the pot here. Man, peeling bark is one of my greatest pet peeves. Surely you realize that once you've done the act, that habitat is gone forever - who knows how many years that bark may have otherwise provided homes to so many animals, and not just reptiles. I've never heard of Zach's method before, but I can see a lot of merit to it! Please, please do not peel bark... (end of tirade).
periglenes

Post by periglenes »

Last year I explained to my students why they were prohibited from peeling bark in the woods owned by the college. Then the entomology class came through...stripped every trunk clean.
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

Don't do it.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Try to just peek under areas of loose bark--no "peeling" or ripping required. That being said, I have found WAY more Sks under artificial cover/trash and on roads than under bark.

FH
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

When you guys say "peeling bark" are you talking about lifting dead bark to peek under on fallen decaying trees, or pulling away healthy living bark on standing trees, or both?

Bart
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Generally this means loose bark on dead trees/logs.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I can count on one hand the number of SK's I've ever seen under loose, dead bark. (Heck, I've seen more in palm trees than pines.) On the other hand, I've seen a couple hundred or so while flipping AC early in the mornings and on the crawl while shining on foot after dark. Where I live, if you want numbers, you go to where you know they live and walk it after dark. Don't get too hung up on pines/bark...it's not necessarily their favorite habitat.

In my opinion they appear to be an abundant generalist; there's probably no need to ruin habitat in search of them.

Tim
pete

Post by pete »

Words of wisdom Tim!
People get hung up on the idea that certain habitats are the ONLY place to find sks or coastals. Lots of good herping is missed because of this!
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

I like the carpet idea. Might have to try that.

Well I am glad people have enlightened me how bad peeling the bark really is. There are really no species besides skinks and tree frogs that would hide under bark around my area. So I have never really peeled bark. I appreciate that no one bashed me for it.

I guess I will look under loose bark on fallen trees, that I can look under with a flashlight without pulling it off. The place I am looking for them there is not any AC or palm. Pretty much just pinelands.

Although Tim's night idea seems to be good, will probably just do that.
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

can count on one hand the number of SK's I've ever seen under loose, dead bark. (Heck, I've seen more in palm trees than pines.) On the other hand, I've seen a couple hundred or so while flipping AC early in the mornings and on the crawl while shining on foot after dark. Where I live, if you want numbers, you go to where you know they live and walk it after dark. Don't get too hung up on pines/bark...it's not necessarily their favorite habitat.
To echo this, the only times I've had any consistent success finding any snakes under bark is if there is standing water around the trees. IMO, they go up in the bark only when they have few other options.
justinm

Post by justinm »

periglenes wrote:Last year I explained to my students why they were prohibited from peeling bark in the woods owned by the college. Then the entomology class came through...stripped every trunk clean.

Seems about right. I've seen horrible damage done after following behind college field study classes. Most professors seem oblivious to the permanent damage done, and get indignant if you press them about what has happened.

Dane,

I hope you're just trolling, this is considered very bad form by the herp community as a whole.
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

justinm wrote: Dane,

I hope you're just trolling, this is considered very bad form by the herp community as a whole.
I have never really peeled or known anything about it. So never talked to other herpers about it. Figured I asked before I did it, glad I did. I was completely unaware of how bad it was. Wasn't trying to start drama or trying to troll. Where I am the only thing that would show up under bark were skinks, I havnt peeled bark since my middle school days. I am planning on going more south soon, and scarlet kings come into range, and I am glad I made myself look like a fool here without doing it. Than actually do it and be a complete moron/ass.
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

wow.... this might be the most mature thread I've seen on here in a while... I actually didn't click it for a bit assuming it'd be the normal BS. Someone was honest and proposed a question and without a ton of condescending elitist answers and bashing -someone learned something and said they'd make the effort to move in the positive direction!

... maybe someone should punch him just too be sure this whole positive reinforcement thing is a joke?

:beer:
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

"Herper I am and bark I peel, these herps are in my bags cause, gotta have good photos of 'em, gotta have good photos of 'em. I want your snakes! I need your snakes!"

Sorry for those of you who don't get this corny reply. :lol:

Bart
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

have you heard the yonder cover? it's no misfits but it's mighty diggable!

(did i get it?)
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

will lattea wrote:have you heard the yonder cover? it's no misfits but it's mighty diggable!

(did i get it?)
No and yes. Yonder?? Linky?

Bart
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

yonder mountain string band... too many good live options to pick just one :)
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

will lattea wrote:yonder mountain string band... too many good live options to pick just one :)
I'll check it out.

Bart
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

will lattea wrote:have you heard the yonder cover? it's no misfits but it's mighty diggable!

(did i get it?)
That made me smile
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Yeah, pretty funny. Reminds me of Richard Cheese.

Bart
keown

Post by keown »

Following up on Zach's post about wrapping the tree trunks with old carpet, I thought I would add this.

Back a number of years ago, I was visiting a herper friend who lived in prime Scarlet King habitat. He took me out to show me some Scarlet Kings. I though to myself that he was over confidient about finding them. He made it sound easy. We drove to a forested area that was almost bog like and with many old dead pine stumps throughout. I noticed that he carried a roll of twine in his pocket which I thought was a bit odd. Then he began to point out a number old pine stumps that had twine tied around them. We stopped at one of those stumps and he cut the twine and removed it from the stump and very carefully removed the loose bark on the stump and WOW there was a beautiful Scarlet King. While I was photographing the snake my friend stayed busy replacing the bark with new twine. We then released the snake back under the now replaced bark. Over the next hour or so we checked a number of other stumps that had twine wrapped around them and found a total of 9 Scarlet Kings. He told me that he had been checking these same pine stumps every year and that he could always find the Scarlet Kings usually under to same stumps every year. That day we did find two snakes under one of his stumps. The only other herps that we found in that spot were a number of skinks and a couple of Slimy Salamanders.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

I think the last time I peeled bark was back in 86 when I was 15. It felt wrong to destroy the home of so many animals. Nice to see everyone being so mature about this, goes a long way in helping out. I am sure in time Dane would figure this out on his own. Dane, another spot you may want to check is under shingles. I have found SK's 6" deep in shingle piles. I have no idea of how they are able to squeeze under something that lays so flat and quite dense too. Hard work though.

Derek
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Dane, sorry if I came across a bit sanctimonious, but I'm glad that you have taken everyone's criticisms and suggestions to heart. :thumb: And keown, your friend is a genius! :beer:
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Peek, don't peel.