Diablo Range Gartersnake (Thamnophis atratus zaxanthus) 8
California Red-sided Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis) 1

Western Pond Turtle (Actinemys marmorata) 5
Red-eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans) 2

Vouchered in Database but Reproductive Status Unknown

Chinese Fire-bellied Newt (Cynops orientalis) 1

Spiny Softshell Turtle (Apalone spinifera) 1
Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta) 1

# of photo vouchered records with gps coordinates in NAHERP Database, as of 2/25/2014

Not Yet Vouchered In HERP Database But Expected Or Known To Occur

Foothill Yellow-legged Frog (Rana boylii)
Western Spadefoot Toad (Spea hammondii)

San Francisco Alligator Lizard (Elgaria coerulea coerulea)
Mediterranean House Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus)
Western Sagebrush Lizard (Sceloperus graciosus gracilis)
Western Side-blotched Lizard(Uta stansburiana elegans)

California Glossy Snake (Arizona elegans occidentalis)
San Joaquin Coachwhip (Coluber flagellum ruddocki)
California (Diablo) Mountain Kingsnake (Lampropeltis zonata zonata x multifasciata)
Western Long-nosed Snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei)
Western Black-headed Snake (Tantilla planiceps)
Coast Gartersnake (Thamnophis elegans terrestris)
Valley Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis fitchi)
California Red-sided Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis) 2014 Luke Talltree

Of Possible Occurrence

California Striped Racer (Coluber lateralis lateralis) - Presence of pure C. l. lateralis questionable. Questionable specimens would most likely be euryxanthus/lateralis intergrades. Possiblility of typical lateralis in county's eastern grasslands.

Giant Gartersnake (Thamnophis gigas) - Historic range. Current status in county unknown.

*Not included in the above accounting are 103 records that lack photo vouchers or gps coordinates

*43 of these records have photo vouchers but lack gps

*60 of these records lack photo vouchers
Calfirecap

Re: Contra Costa County Species List and Database Gaps

Post by Calfirecap »

Thanks Derek,
Looks like there aren't too many gaps to fill, but we are going to have to increase some of those numbers if we want to make the Data Base a good representation of what's really out there.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I am sure Jared has a few of the non-recorded species...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Derek

I found a typical striped racer in C.H., so they may occur in the eastern grasslands into Contra Costa County. I also found a DOR coachwhip on a road in Alameda County a mile or two from Contra Costa, so I would add that to the potential list.

Jeff
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Calfirecap wrote: Looks like there aren't too many gaps to fill, but we are going to have to increase some of those numbers if we want to make the Data Base a good representation of what's really out there.
Lawrence - Agreed... our records need to be representative of the actual ratios of each species' occurrence. I would say that Contra Costa's records are fairly representative of what species one could expect to find, and in what numbers. The quality is there, we just need to voucher the remaining species, increase the quantity of records, and work on some range limits and range extensions. Makes for an interesting county to herp.
Jeff wrote: I found a typical striped racer in C.H., so they may occur in the eastern grasslands into Contra Costa County. I also found a DOR coachwhip on a road in Alameda County a mile or two from Contra Costa, so I would add that to the potential list.
Thanks a bunch, Jeff! Your input is always appreciated. I was hoping that you'd chime in...
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

There are San Joaquin coach whips in Contra Costa county at it's borders along Alameda and San Joaquin counties. I was hiking in Contra Costa county mid day in late July, temps were getting waay hot and was headed back to my car, I stopped and flipped a log in the shade right next to the trail and caught a glimpse of a large adult head raised and bolting through the grass then into a burrow. That long braided tail was a dead give away. I'll have to put on excessive sunscreen and bring lots of water to get that voucher, apparently they like it hot. :beer:
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

jared68nova wrote:I'll have to put on excessive sunscreen and bring lots of water to get that voucher, apparently they like it hot. :beer:
I've found coachwhips active in the day in 100 degree weather before. But if you can flip them when it's cooler, they're a lot more docile and easier to photograph.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Zonata may very well be there. You'd think one would have been vouchered by now somewhere, but there is a good chance that they are in the Mt. Diablo area. They get mighty close in Alameda Co.

FH
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

I've been lagging on database entries--only a year behind :? I'll quadruple the nightsnake numbers once I get around to it...should be soon. Also, lots of norpacs, gophers, and diablos to be added.

Luke- :mrgreen:
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Mr.Talltree wrote:I've been lagging on database entries--only a year behind :? I'll quadruple the nightsnake numbers once I get around to it...should be soon. Also, lots of norpacs, gophers, and diablos to be added.
Excellent!
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

I sometimes still wonder about Zonata in contra costa county, I have definitely seen some really good habitat for them there. But you would think with all the foot traffic throgughout that whole area around Mt. Diablo someone would've snapped a picture of one by now, lots of joggers and birders in the area. I have a buddy in the excavation business and he's done some work on some of the roads and trails up there, he says he finds a ton of Longnose snakes up on and around Diablo. I am almost willing to bet those Longnose's made up the vast majority of reported sightings of Zonata in Contra Costa county and especially on Diablo.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Thanks, Jared! I'll add coachwhip to the list. :thumb:

FH and Jared - I couldn't find any info. on zonata. I'll have to consult a Brian.
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

I'm really interested in the Alameda county list. In the next few weeks I hope I can add a Valley Garter voucher to the list, suckers are fast but they are here.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Mt. Diablo
Has Zonata, this is a known fact to science..

Great Work Derek.

Thank You :thumb: :beer:
Fundad
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

Do have an article or any voucher info on that Fundad. I have never heard about any actual confirmed sightings there, I would be really interested to know for sure.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Hey Brian,

Unless you have info that I am unaware of; no z's have been officially reported from Contra Costa Co. They are in the Diablo range, for sure, but the closest (I am aware of) have been found in Alameda Co---only a few snakes. The vast majority (still rare) come from further South in the range. Mt. Diablo proper is isolated from the rest of the Diablo range. I still have not seen a verified z from Mt. Diablo, despite the anecdotes. SHOULD be there, though, and if not now, certainly once were in the past.

FH
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

List Updated
Owen

Post by Owen »

I have to wonder if Giant Garters occasionally touch the eastern border with all the canals, sloughs and islands in the delta.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

My thinking was that they had long been extirpated, but after reading this paper: http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/depart ... rofile.pdf, I'll add Giant Gartersnakes to the list.

"Some experts consider Contra Costa County outside the current range of giant garter snake; however the lack of records from the County may be due to a lack of survey effort" (Hansen pers. comm.)
Owen

Post by Owen »

I wonder if Hanna saw any close to the county during her work with the giants.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Fundad wrote:
Mt. Diablo
Has Zonata, this is a known fact to science..

Great Work Derek.

Thank You :thumb: :beer:
Fundad
I am intrigued by this, as well.

Was there a voucher?
jared68nova

Post by jared68nova »

I thought I would add some more info on the Diabl. Zonata debate. In late Aug 2013 I was hiking on mt Diablo with a lady friend right at sundown, we ended up underestimating the hike back to the car and were stopped by a ranger as we walked up to the car. The ranger had to double back on his route on the mountain to open a gate for us to leave, he was a nice guy and turns out he was out into herps. I asked him about Mt Diablo Zonata...his reply was, that after 9years of "road cruising" his route throughout the whole park, 5 nights a week, during all seasons that he has seen just about everything and in great numbers, but never a Z. Ranger said he's convinced no dice on Diablo and with 9years of cruising to back it..I agree
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I'm also interested to know what Fundad is talking about.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I'm sure Brian (Fundad) was just referring to the Diablo Range, and not Mt. Diablo. It's easy to get the two confused when you don't live in the area. There have not been any confirmed sightings on Mt. Diablo, and considering the number of hikers that go there, I doubt the snake exists since nobody has ever gotten a pic of one. However, there still might be an isolated population somewhere on the mountain or nearby that just hasn't been discovered. Anything is possible...even aliens... :shock:
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

In my youth, I found San Francisco Alligator Lizards in Tilden Regional Park (yes positive not Southern)

In my youth, I found Coast Gartersnakes in San Pablo and Pinole

In my youth, I found a single California Red-sided in Pinole

The Cynops record is mine, locality was Tilden where pets are often released, it is doubtful they are breeding.

-=-

First week of June I will be looking for Contra Costa Rana boylii - where I believe they may still be present - but previous searches in this general area have only turned up occasional Rana draytonii utilizing the creek.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Gary, I just double checked the road where I found this little guy and yep, no doubt, I got my lifer in Contra Costa. The road has a long straight away and then climbs up some steep hills to a special place a lot of the well-known bay area herpers know about. I won't give away that location, but I found this little guy half way up to the top of that road, well with in the county line. I had no idea where to look for them out there :lol: Which is why I ended up cruising that road, instead of the well known road for rhino on the other side of the county line.So, I just went by the landscape and found it about 20 feet from a baby gopher snake. But, yep lifer...contra costa. It's been in there since 2010 but you might not have seen it due to my FHF member status. I didn't realize that I wasn't a member until we had all that personal arguing between members on here. I thing Fundad or someone stated that not all of us were members sometime around that time... idk. They look really yellow up there. When I told Devlin where I found it, he said he always wondering if they were up there, but as far as I know, no one found one before this... I didn't know it was a big deal until right now :mrgreen: :roll:

ImageScreenshot (60) by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Porter

Post by Porter »

...Also, I was DETERMINED as hell to get a Rhino that night :lol: If I remember correctly, the temps in that area had dropped below 60 degrees and I finally found him around 3am. My girlfriend passed out cold next me...lol "Oh...yeah...that's great babe... can we go back to the hotel now?" :sleep: It was in September when all the taratulas were migrating. Those too were lifers. b-day weekend trip
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Western Side-blotched Lizard(Uta stansburiana elegans) I've found in CC, But I haven't entered into the database in sometime.

I'll try and add this along with some other finds soon.

Cheers,
Chad
Porter

Post by Porter »

El Garia wrote: *Not included in the above accounting are 103 records that lack photo vouchers or gps coordinates

*43 of these records have photo vouchers but lack gps

*60 of these records lack photo vouchers
Just saw this :roll: I added the GPS. The record is good now. There were a couple places where the find could have happened... when descending down that road, there's a quick drop, then sharp turn to the left. Then you have a small canopy of trees on the right and a dropoff extending down the road on the left. I'm pretty sure I have the marker at that exact spot. It's hard to tell by looking at the map without driving it and I'm don't know how current the map image is (if the trees grew later?) There is one other debatable area that partially fits that quick left portion of the road (not really), higher up into contra costa county. Where I put the marker is closer to the Alemeda county line and would make the voucher undisputed as far as county records. No doubt, contra costa :thumb:
yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

Glad to see a database gap post resurfacing! I always thought these were some of the most interesting discussions and they always tipped people off to enter records they either know had but didn't know were missing or go look for new records. Might be interesting to update some of the existing counties to see how much we've done and/or complete some that never got posted. I think I might have a word file for a few NorCal counties that I never posted that I'll update and throw up here.
Good luck on boylii FunkyRes!
-Elliot