Copperhead morphs

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gainesvilleherp

Copperhead morphs

Post by Gainesvilleherp »

does anybody know of or have seen any copperhead morphs? I've heard rumors floating about the internet but have not been able to find any photo proof. link to some pics if you have 'em.
Jeff

Re: Copperhead morphs

Post by Jeff »

I found an adult in Louisiana that was completely striped from head to tail base. It came from an area that produced a striped juvenile. I have a slide of the adult, but no scan.

Jeff
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

The NC Museum of natural sciences had a melanistic copperhead for about 20 yrs before she finally kicked the bucket maybe 5 years ago. I never photographed her, but I know some people have. When they found her back in the 80's she was gravid. Gave birth to all norms, attempts were made to bred back with the mom, but she never mated again.
DracoRJC

Post by DracoRJC »

Kevin Messenger wrote:The NC Museum of natural sciences had a melanistic copperhead for about 20 yrs before she finally kicked the bucket maybe 5 years ago. I never photographed her, but I know some people have. When they found her back in the 80's she was gravid. Gave birth to all norms, attempts were made to bred back with the mom, but she never mated again.
Here she is - http://toddpusser.photoshelter.com/imag ... VKu3J4Aqfs
Kevin Messenger

that would be the girl

that was toward the end, in her chunky days
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

DracoRJC wrote:
Kevin Messenger wrote:The NC Museum of natural sciences had a melanistic copperhead for about 20 yrs before she finally kicked the bucket maybe 5 years ago. I never photographed her, but I know some people have. When they found her back in the 80's she was gravid. Gave birth to all norms, attempts were made to bred back with the mom, but she never mated again.
Here she is - http://toddpusser.photoshelter.com/imag ... VKu3J4Aqfs
Dang, that'd be an easy way to get bit. Imagine making the grab for that snake. I'd never guess it was a copperhead just from looking at it.

This is the only funky "morph" of a copperhead I've ever seen. Mostly grayish/pink with a weird pattern:

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix (Southern Copperhead) by Kyle L.E., on Flickr
Gainesvilleherp

Post by Gainesvilleherp »

sweet copperheads, im starting to breed them and just wanted to see some things i can dream about lol.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Here are a few I had saved on my computer. I have no idea where the first two came from (probably from FHF), but I'm pretty sure the last one is from an old friend in Mississippi who caught it many years ago.

MuayThaipan

Post by MuayThaipan »

That spotted morph is common in a certain mountain in Ky I had 2 I collected but unfortunately both where males its apparently a co-Dom trait as well would be neat to see what to bred together would produce.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

There was another specimen from WV. I thought you were around when everyone in the lab was debating that specimen (preserved).
Kevin Messenger

Nshepard wrote:
There was another specimen from WV. I thought you were around when everyone in the lab was debating that specimen (preserved).
Yeah. I was around. I remember it. But I also remember we weren't 100% sure on the ID, but more like 90% sure. Since it was too degraded
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Kevin Messenger wrote:
Nshepard wrote:
Yeah. I was around. I remember it. But I also remember we weren't 100% sure on the ID, but more like 90% sure. Since it was too degraded
Huh. I believe I have photos of it somewhere, I'll have to check.
beanie

Post by beanie »

There are quite a few in Louisiana. Here's the original male that produced the hets.

John Martin

Post by John Martin »

beanie wrote:Image
Ding, ding! We have a winner! Although I really dig the spotted morph also.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Morph, smorph....a good looking laticinctus blows all the striped and spotted ones away IMHO.

I've always said if Copperheads were restricted to a small region of China or worse, a few mountains in central mexico, they would be considered the most gorgeous snakes in the world and would be $3000 a pair in captivity.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

chrish wrote:Morph, smorph....a good looking laticinctus blows all the striped and spotted ones away IMHO.

I've always said if Copperheads were restricted to a small region of China or worse, a few mountains in central mexico, they would be considered the most gorgeous snakes in the world and would be $3000 a pair in captivity.
I'm sure with you there. I've always thought that Copperheads were the most beautiful North American snake.
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

What Chris said.

AtroxKR

Post by AtroxKR »

I'm with Chris and Mark on this one!

However, I did see this pic a while back of the Axanthic found in College Station, here in TX. Though I prefer a normal, this is one sweet looking snake.

chris drake

Post by chris drake »

Found this southern last night. Love the aberrant pattern.

and this BB from the same area last year.

Chris