Small array of arachnids

Field and captive invertebrates discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AsydaBass

Small array of arachnids

Post by AsydaBass »

Hello,

I've been reorganizing my website lately and have been going through some older photos. Thought I'd share a few of the spiders with everyone.

I'll start with my favorite species, the Golden-silk Orb Weaver (Nephila clavipes). A spider that truly holds a special place in my heart.

Golden-silk Orb Weaver (Nephila clavipes)

Anyone who has worn a headlamp at night in a tropical forest knows this beetle. You also know how fast they fly and the impact they make as they plow into your forehead, mesmerized by the light. Tensile lab testing aside, the fact that Nephila silk can stop these guys mid-flight is testament enough for me to the silk's strength!

I've been fortunate enough to work alongside a research team (I work with herps and birds) that has researched this spider and their silk for the past 19 years.

Male and female Golden-silk Orb Weaver (Nephila clavipes)
The female is the large spider and the male is the dimiutive spider in the upper right of the photo.

Sticking with the orb weavers...

Silver argiope (Argiope argentata)

Tropical Orbweavers (Eriophora ravilla) grow quite large and can have just the orb portion of their web be a meter across.

Just a little closer... Tropical Orbweaver (Eriophora ravilla)

The only spider in Costa Rica that still invokes the a little arachnophobia in me. The large, toxic, and aggressive:
Wandering Spider (Cupiennius coccineus)

This Regal Jumping Spider (Phidippus regius) displays a beautiful iridescence on its chelicerae.

I'll try to get some pictures of the other invertebrate groups posted in the near future. Hope everyone enjoyed the spiders!

-Don
http://www.RainforestDon.com
Rags

Re: Small array of arachnids

Post by Rags »

Nice selection of tropical spiders. Loved the last jumping spider shot. Looking forward to more photos!
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Now you're talking my language, Don. With great images to boot!

Thanks for showing them to us. I'm looking forward to see your other invert photos.

Daniel
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Thanks guys. It's been great fun going through the old sets of photos. It amazes me how quickly images become "lost" when you don't use them right away.

-Don
RCampbell

Post by RCampbell »

WOW!!! Fabtastic photographs! Thank you for sharing.
On a note for you on the Cupiennius coccineus, their toxcicty is no where near that of the Phoneutria species with which they are often confused. With specific regard to the Cupiennius coccineus it has been demonstrated that their venom causes pain, but no long lasting effects in humans, and no species in the genus Cupiennius is currently considered dangerous to man.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Great shots, I like everyone one of them.