2012 Rattlesnake Recap

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brendan

2012 Rattlesnake Recap

Post by Brendan »

One more year in the books and the idea of a few weeks of non-herping time is actually sounding good. I'm currently unable to work due to a recent shoulder surgery but I can finally get my arm up onto my desk to type. I figured if I was going to post any sort of year end recap I should do it now because January is right around the corner and by then I'm about ready to see some herps again.
Historically my posts are always short on commentary and a bit heavy on the crote photos. Why change a good thing? :)
In no sort of chronological order here is a small cross section of animals I was fortunate to encounter and observe.
I guess until putting together this post I realized that I didn't photograph a single scute all year. In fact I can't remember if I even saw one. Only 16 species of crote this year. Guess I need to pick it up next year.
I didn't photo many colubrids either….
A two fer…..CalKing and Atrox in one.
Semi-domesticated nasty
Sleeping in a tree
Two-striped cannibal
Some non snake shots...

Some scenery…….

Ok sorry for all the filler, I'll get this ship back on course
herpseeker1978

Re: 2012 Recap

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Wow! Great shots man! Too many favorites to list! There are some awesome animals out there! Thanks for sharing!

Josh
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Great job Brendan! Hope you a speedy recovery! Of course, you know I love the specks (especially funky colored ones like the first you posted and the fifth to last) and panamints, but there were a whole bunch of cool stuff all together in here-crote variety, crote behavior, scenery, vacations, landscapes, in-situ photos, the crotes and beer pics,etc. I am always jealous of those in-situ pricei pics you get! Seeing those nice big green NM klaubs - makes me almost want to make a trip for them - but I think if I go to NM, it would be for the other little montane and some sauggies first. Funny you say that about the scutes - I only got one this year and only one cerastes. Surprised you didn't get any in hog territory.

Look forward to next year's season and your next year's season recap! Thanks for sharing!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Awesome! There were several times that I thought it couldn't get any better, but then you topped it again and again. Excellent all around, thanks for taking the time to put this together for us!
BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl »

Always a highlight for me.

Thanks for sharing Doc!
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Beautiful work Brendan! I didn’t know tiger rattlesnakes could be such heavy drinkers though.
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Nice stuff. I enjoyed it all, especially the gregarious whipsnakes!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Incredible.. :shock: :shock:

I nominated one of the photos for picture of the week.

The Gilas, That stuffed Cal King, The pyro, and oh amazing rattlesnake photos, including that one with all the beer bottles.

Perfect Job B.. Congrats.. :beer:

Fundad
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Holy crap, that was awesome. The white speck, probably the best snake of the bunch.

Great photography work, and great job finding all that stuff!
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

Those cloud photos were my favourites. Mental pics all the way though.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Some very nice in situ shots. I really like the natural history shots showing behaviors such as breeding, feeding, etc. Funny how many of us yearn to find ONE gila head at the entrance of a crack lol. Too many photos to pick one favorite for me right now.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Lepidus!
The chuck with his mouth open is neat too.
Thanks for posting!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate those who take the time to view my posts each year. Norman you have great eyes in the field and even better eyes for photos. You picked out snakes in other peoples shots that I never even saw.
In 6 of my scenery shots there were snakes/herps that went from really obvious to really hard to see. I took a ton of the "where's waldo" shots this year and posted many along the way on my FB page. Some of them stumped even the best
herpers and others were far too easy. Here are the 6 snakes in those photos in order of appearance,
Here are a few more "where's waldo" shots
And a few that are lots more obvious

Thanks again for the comments.
Brandon La Forest

Post by Brandon La Forest »

Great stuff as always B! Thanks for sharing and showing how vast and rewarding insitu herping can be!

and Norm you stay away from my funky specks :P

-Brandon-
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

I liked the filler! I found the shot of the butterflies particularly striking. The shots with multiple heads looking out are great, then there's the shot of multiple rattles!

On the other hand, you already know how I feel about that pyro :x, and I could have lived without the helleri.... ;)
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

WOW! So much ground covered and so many cool finds! Obviously some great photography too. I'm dreaming of another trip to the SW right now!

I'm also curious just how much time some of you guys spend in the field each year. The hours must be like a full time job some months.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Beautiful as always B !!

I knew that it was about time for this when I found myself sifting through one of your old posts to get my fix.
The pyrrhus are just incredible.

Here's to a speedy recovery. :beer:
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks guys! This represents about 10% of the animals I photographed but after a while things get a bit redundant so I tried to show a decent cross section.

Jon, I spend countless hours in the field. I never added it up but some months I herp every day. In fact there is usually never a month that I don't get out several times. It is a labor of love.

Paul I totally agree. Anyone can implant a snake with a transmitter and follow it around. It takes a bit more skill to monitor a snake for half the year, year after year with nothing to go on but your eyes. :beer:
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Brandon... I may never see your funky specks because I have only herped one boa range in AZ - and I never have great hunting like you and Brendan do there. I still need to knock out some AZ & CA lifer crotes before I get to do photograph more speck color variations.

Thanks Brendan! OOooh more pics. The only one that gave me trouble is this photo. Sneaky blue speck! I spooked a couple this year by not spotting them first, and you watched me walk by a few as well! I blame lack of sleep! haha. Can't wait for the next couple seasons or decades lol to compile enough photos to put together a cool thread like this one
Brendan

Re: 2012 Rattlesnake Recap

Post by Brendan »

Did you find her? She lives in that section where the sneaky tiger lives. Always slips away without a photo. The morning you and your dad were out this female speck was in this rock pile. She blends really well. I stepped right over the top of her the first time.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Impressive, Brendan!
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Awesome as always B! Looking forward to next year
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

I found her in the pic, but never seen her in person. Maybe one day you could find the tiger and speck out together in that spot.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Brendan, Nice stuff...as always! Too much greastness to reflect on any one here, but was that Vine at night? I've always thought that would be the easiest way to find them, didn't pan out when I tried back in 2010 but always wondered if you AZ guys had luck with that method.

Nice beach / pool shots, intriguing scene.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks guys. I'm sure we will find them together at some point Norman. Nice job on spotting them all. That one was hard. I've got a couple cool shots of a speck sitting about 3ft from a pair of tigers. I didn't even see the second tiger until I was walking back past them and noticed the male camo'd in the bush next to her.

Nate the vine was sleeping at night. We have a small group of oxys that hang out in a concentrated area so after seeing them during the day we went back after dark to see if they stay in the same trees and they do.

Jeff next year is only weeks away!! :)
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

A great post. Those dark 'cerbs' are absolutely gorgeous.
Crimson King

Post by Crimson King »

Fantastic! All those shots are top shelf and worthy of "Photo of the Week/year"
Also, is that the 1st instance of a herper with proof that he's carrying a mouse in his shorts?..:)
Good stuff!

:Mark
scott s

Post by scott s »

Awesome, amazing, fantastic, great pics!!!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

LOL.......Franks always got a mouse in his pants. That cw is a pig! She waits outside the mouse house and gets filled like a pez dispenser. The next day it's back for more.

Thanks again for the views and comments!!
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

Brendan, you have some great stuff here, great specimens and photography. That's the first time I've ever seen 3 Gila's together...is it common for them to over-winter together?
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Brendan wrote:Nate the vine was sleeping at night. We have a small group of oxys that hang out in a concentrated area so after seeing them during the day we went back after dark to see if they stay in the same trees and they do.
Sounds like a cool little place you guys got! My real only hunt for them turned up two mountain lions at night...I'll take it!
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Fantastic. High quality shots too!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Tonia Graves wrote:Brendan, you have some great stuff here, great specimens and photography. That's the first time I've ever seen 3 Gila's together...is it common for them to over-winter together?

Tonia they do over winter together and share burrows and crevices during the active season. We found 6 within a few feet of each other that day and a total of 15 in a few hours of searching.

Nate it makes for some cool observations. I'm learning more than I thought I wanted to know about them with the help of a friend who does a great deal of watching this species.

Thanks Jeroen.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Nice! Thank you for the vicarious adventure. Sitting here looking out the window at a dusting of snow, it's somewhere in the high 20's F right now...ugh. Downer downer downer.

Thanks again for the boost. Just gotta make it to March. Maybe I'll make it to your part of the world this spring. If so, will holler.

Cheers,
Jimi
dery

Post by dery »

What a year you had.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

I always look forward this! And I am never disappointed. Thanks for taking the time to knock our collective socks off.

-Mike
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed the post. Here are a few videos that are worth a few minutes to view. The gila hole was filmed using a time lapse camera which could have been placed a little better but we know now for next year.
Anyone know how to link videos hosted on flickr to a thread like you can with youtube? If so I have some cool videos of specks drinking rain water during a storm.

RCampbell

Post by RCampbell »

As always...FANTASTIC!!!

Thank you for sharing, homesick as I am for the desert Jason, yourself and Rich keep me from completely losing it.

I hope that shoulder heals flawlessly my friend!

-Riley
rosy-man

Post by rosy-man »

great stuff loved the whipsnakes!!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

RC you just need to get waist deep in a pile of timbers and you'll feel much better.

Glad u liked the whipsnakes RM.
Terry Basey

Post by Terry Basey »

Brendan, I'm just in awe at your photos! And just stunned by the photos of the three gilas! How much time is represented by the timelapse video?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks TFB! I think that was probably about 4-5 days of timelapse represented in that video. The camera is set to take a photo every 5 secs while there is enough light. I think this year we will do a better job of camera placement and camouflage. I am amazed at how aware those lizards are of their surroundings.

Cool avatar dude!
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Brendan wrote:Thanks TFB! I think that was probably about 4-5 days of timelapse represented in that video. The camera is set to take a photo every 5 secs while there is enough light. I think this year we will do a better job of camera placement and camouflage. I am amazed at how aware those lizards are of their surroundings.

Cool avatar dude!
Brendan, what camera did you use for that time-lapse?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Nate it was a wingscapes plant cam I got off of amazon. The newer one's are better and have more settings. I hope to get a small group of them set up this year to see what footage we might come up with.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Brendan wrote:Nate it was a wingscapes plant cam I got off of amazon. The newer one's are better and have more settings. I hope to get a small group of them set up this year to see what footage we might come up with.
Thanks man, I'll have to look into them. Every spring I walk past a couple stump hole with a nice 'coiled' depression....
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

I'm speechless !
A ridiculous number of amazing shots, poses and species !
Congrats !
monklet

Post by monklet »

My favorite photographic post ever. Off-the-scale! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Nate you'll learn a ton of stuff that you'd never otherwise be able to observe otherwise.

Thanks AHock! Glad you enjoyed the post. I thought it was long since burried.

Thanks Brad! Much appreciated but your being far too kind. :)
monklet

Post by monklet »

Kind? Nah, nothing to do with it. That's just as good as it gets. Firing on all cylinders. :thumb:
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

:beer: Much appreciated my friend!