1200 mi, 40 hrs, 1 lifer

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

1200 mi, 40 hrs, 1 lifer

Post by hellihooks »

Didn't get to herp but about 1/2 hr, the whole trip (10 min here, 10 there) but managed my lifer Shasta Alligator lizard, a couple of Northwestern Fences, and a yoy Sharptail, which rivals the smallest snakes I've ever seen (the other 2 being a yoy Tantilla and yoy Dekays)
This guy was SMALL... bout 3 3/4 in, and pencil lead thin... :shock:
NW Fence
Shasta Ally (lifer)
Sucked for me that Soquel wasn't on the 4th...I'd have found a way to make it... :? :D jim
RobertH

Re: 1200 mi, 40 hrs, 1 lifer

Post by RobertH »

I would say that's darn good for 30 minutes of herping. Only too bad you didn't have more time. I hope it wasn't because of more car trouble. You've had enough of that on past trips, that's for sure.

Sorry that you can't make it to Soquel next weekend. Hopefully, it'll work out next time.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Alternator went bad... burned my battery and the spare battery I brought... bought a new battery in Manteca, then another new battery outside Bakersfield, to make it home... :roll: other than that... no prob... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
I had hoped to get my Shasta Black, in my 10 min of herping in Lake Shasta... but, not a realistic hope. :roll: I was actually pretty stoked to see a snake and get a lifer, for something that wasn't planned as a herping trip... :crazyeyes: herpers herp... whenever they can, and where ever they are... :beer: jim
monklet

Post by monklet »

Jim, with all the breakdowns and fixings you do ...one might expect a negative feedback loop to sort of negate the issue. ;-) :lol: :crazyeyes: ...sorry man, couldn't help it. Glad you finally made it home.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Oh man, I was worried it might be the car again. I don't know how you manage. Anyway, I am glad that, despite all, it was still sort of a successful trip. That little Sharptail is too cute, and, well, you got a lifer Shasta Alligator Lizard.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

monklet wrote:Jim, with all the breakdowns and fixings you do ...one might expect a negative feedback loop to sort of negate the issue. ;-) :lol: :crazyeyes: ...sorry man, couldn't help it. Glad you finally made it home.
There are no such things as 'problems'... only opportunities for improvement... :D
Actually... come to think of it... I herped for bout an extra 1/2 hr, in Manteca... waiting for batteries to charge....place was dead... :(
thx Robert... that little sharpie tripped me out...Thought I found a little slender sal, at 1st, the way it was curled up, with the reddish orange showing. it would have been small, for a slender... :shock: :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Congrats, Jim!
Sorry to hear about more auto-troubles though.
occidentalis

Post by occidentalis »

That alligator lizard appears to be E. multicarinata rather than E. coerulea shastensis.
Owen

Post by Owen »

occidentalis wrote:That alligator lizard appears to be E. multicarinata rather than E. coerulea shastensis.
true.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I agree that looks like a southern more than a shasta. Sorry to hear about your car troubles, and even if you didn't get a lifer, still got some cool finds for this time of year up north.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... You're right. I didn't realize southerns ranged that far north, and only checked the range maps for northerns, not southerns... :roll: rookie mistake... :? Still a cute little fella, and I was glad to find him... next time for sure... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
PS... thx for the ID corrections, guys... :thumb:
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Southerns come all the way up to central Washington. It's cool, I'm sure you'll find a shasta next time you're looking in their range.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Given the red on its back, I'm guessing that southern is California subspecies and probably male.