Google Earth Roadcruising

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Google Earth Roadcruising

Post by chrish »

I was trying to pin down the exact coordinates where I photographed a bullsnake a few years back so I could enter it in the database. I had an "in situ" type photo and I knew the general area I had taken it, so i tried going to google earth and using the street view to drive along that street looking for the exact spot of the photo.

Then it occured to me....I wonder if I could spot a roadkill as I cruised Google Earth street view along this road.
No luck so far, but has anyone else found an AOR or DOR herp on Google Earth while "street viewing"?

I would like to see a screen capture of that (or just post the coordinates).

Can you enter that record in the database? :lol:
Chris Smith

Re: Google Earth Roadcruising

Post by Chris Smith »

Interesting idea... I have not but I did find this once while road cruising... Lol.

Should I enter it as "Snake." :mrgreen:

-Chris
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

It's a banana peel I bet. They are always damned banana peels.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

psyon wrote:It's a banana peel I bet. They are always damned banana peels.
It comes from a snake crossing hotspot... but I too hate those damned banana peels!

-Chris
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

It's been a while, but I have searched aerials for 'gators in areas where I know big ones are common. And still no luck.

Here's a quick fly-to, a croc farm in Darwin:

12°24'42.81"S
130°55'42.55"E

One of my favorite herping memories involved lifelisting salties along the Victoria River, NT. I doubt I'll ever see them again from ~500 ft at 250 kt :(

Shane
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Because I live on an almost reptile-less island off the coast of England, herping Google StreetView is as good as it gets for me. One of my favourites below...any guesses for the location?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristianbell/6936319877/
Herping Google Streetview by Kristian Bell, on Flickr
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

interesting idea. it's getting cold in the north. maybe a little contest could be put together. pick a state, and get folks to search at the same time. winner get's bragging rights. something to pass the time in the winter. seems like a good saturday morning event.

someone posted a manatee once.

as far as trying to find spots using coordinates. i'd go to bing maps instead. google puts me in the wrong place when placing coordinates. i like the color/resolution better as well on bing. i was searching an area a few weeks ago, and i found the path of a tornado. turns out, the twister went through the area last spring. newer images it seems as well. unless the weather service requests images for tornado paths, and bing just updates the images for the location.

-ben
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

muskiemagnet wrote: something to pass the time in the winter. seems like a good saturday morning event.
Sure beats putting the ball python under the sofa cushions and "flipping" for her.

I'm hoping to pass the time in the winter by uploading to the database, and get my 2012 finds (my first was mid-March) in before the end of the year. I'll probably have at least one weekend day of weather that's so cruddy I won't even want to get out of my PJs. This sounds like loads of fun as well, and I will admit to going to Google after reading this thread.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:
muskiemagnet wrote:

I'm hoping to pass the time in the winter by uploading to the database, and get my 2012 finds (my first was mid-March) in before the end of the year.
I wish I heard more of this!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

brick911 wrote:
ZantiMissKnit wrote:

I'm hoping to pass the time in the winter by uploading to the database, and get my 2012 finds (my first was mid-March) in before the end of the year.
Hm. I really do appear to be doing some major butt-kissing here, don't I? :lol:

Truth be told, I love databases and documenting. I created an Excel spreadsheet this year, with the names of all local species across the top and a date and place column to the left so I can keep track of our finds. There appears to be no "nerd" emoticon here, so I'll just leave it at that.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I think the nerds are the only ones dedicated to the database. Glad to have you aboard.
JacksReptiles

Post by JacksReptiles »

brick911 wrote: October 15th, 2012, 12:27 pm
ZantiMissKnit wrote:
muskiemagnet wrote:

What database are you talking about?