SD

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Crazins

SD

Post by Crazins »

So here are some pretty pictures from southern California. It's a very small sample; more can be found at mishimat.smugmug.com

This post (and all my photography) is dedicated to my good friend Young Cage who taught me much of what I know about photography.

Young, I miss you more than I can possibly say. You and the infinite kindness you showed to everyone who had the immense privilege of knowing you will never be forgotten.

On to the show...

Crotes:

Helleri:

Ruber:

Spec:

Cerastes (C. c. laterorepens):

Colubrids:

Coach:

Baja Coach:

Zonata:

Glossy:

Boas:

Hypsoglena:

"Dots and Dashes" Cal King:

Lizards:

Coast Horned:

SD Banded Gecko:

Coronado Skink:

Granite night:

Alligator:

California Legless:

Lone amphib of the post:
Arroyo Toad:

El Rando Pictures:

Thanks for looking!
-Marisa
mishimat.smugmug.com

P.S. If the pics are too big, tell me and I'll upload smaller versions. I have one of those silly macs where you can zoom in and out on the track pad so i don't actually know how large these versions are. :?
MichaelCravens

Re: SD

Post by MichaelCravens »

Some beautiful photos there Marisa! Although, some didn't show up for me. Where are you hanging your hat these days?

Michael
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

yeah... the half that showed were very nice. the dedication was very nice, as well.. jim

ps...'smugmug'... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Owen

Post by Owen »

I want to bring those badgers home :lol:
dickbartlett

Post by dickbartlett »

2 pix--that of Young and the second of the badger kits made the post Marisa. All else was beautiful, too.
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Yeah I don't know why only a few of them are showing, and each time I load the post, different pictures load. I thought it was just my picture. I'll try to fix it...
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Wow, such stunning images! I love the badgers and the crotes, especially, but it's all gorgeous.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Great photos. Give us some background on the badgers! That's an amazing shot and one I personally haven't ever seen. I would love to find a badger while out hiking someday.
The Granite Night Lizard was epic too.
noah k.

Post by noah k. »

You take some of the best photos I have ever seen.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

That night lizard photo is awesome. Very interesting perspective.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Amazing photos especially the humming birds. Cage tough you well.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I also love the night lizard. We don't see enough of those on the forum. Nice to see you posting.
jordo

Post by jordo »

Awesome photos, the hummingbirds are stunning and love the badgers!
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Wow I loved those habitat shots but the badgers take the cake. Awesome photo series

Neil
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

The night lizard was kickass.

The night snake looked pissed off at those mites on his eye. (Well, maybe the camera too)

Ian
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Beautiful images! But if I might be so bold, I really don't think your watermark is doing much to help them. It would look great on a business card or letterhead, but it's too big and distracting on your photographs. Just my personal opinion, you are of course free to consider it total crap, and the pictures themselves are wonderful.
condyle

Post by condyle »

Love the badger and night Lizard. Were those zs agalma? Nice shots all around!!!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

All the pics are posting now...WOW!
When I lived/worked at Willow Beach (a fishing resort on the Colorado) I had a Badger living under my apt. Got to where I was hand-feeding him every day...he'd come right into my living room... till F&G relocated him as too dangerous to be acclimated to humans. Badgers are AWESOME! jim
BTW... that was decades ago... I'd know better now... :roll:
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

I was cruising and the badgers were in the middle of the road. I thought they were hit at first, but they were fine, just sitting in the middle of the road. I had to get out an shoo them off and they didnt move until I was about 10feet away from them. Super cute.

I know my watermark is distracting, but I've had issues with people stealing my pictures. This way, though it's distracting, no one can take my pictures. Muahaha.

The first Z is pulchra and the second two are algama.
justinm

Post by justinm »

You coming back to see me in October when everyone is going to be there? You take nice pictures for a girl. Glad to see a post from you.
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

Great post & photography! Those young badgers are just too cute!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

All too fantastic to choose a favorite. Good Paradise Medicine your post is, for my head today.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Veddy veddy nice!

I am a crote head, but you took some great photos of species I usually care less about (night snake, night lizard, etc) and nice macros of species that can be difficult to get to sit. Great job!

Even though I never met/knew Young Cage, I feel like I met him because of his forum posts on FHF. He just seemed like a genuinely nice man who lived life to the fullest. It was nice of you to include a tribute to him.
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

A fitting tribute...very nice stuff. I found myself wanting to 'nominate for picture of the week' on about every shot!

I will say this though...your 'watermark' drove me nuts...I was seeing rattlesnakes everywhere!
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Good to see you being all nutty and posting again! Love the badgers and the hummers......... :)
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Very nice photos and a great tribute to your friend.

Jason
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Right on! A little time recooping in front of the computer after a long weekend of tequila drinking down south, huh? :lol: Wish I'd been there...

Love that Xantusia shot. Holy hell. The Hypsiglena with the icky Acari on its eye is pretty rockin', too. Pretty much the whole post, really. Word has it that you're a photo-fanatic - it shows.

-Cole
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Your photos are just breathtaking. You are a real artist. Very inspiring.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

A beautiful tribute, to a wonderful person.. :thumb:

Fundad
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Wow, the photo of you and Young choked me up a little. He spent several days at the farm in 2011 and made a lasting impression on Yvonne and I. What a Gentleman! He is truly missed.

He has taught you well, your photography is outstanding!

I remember you writing in Facebook that you were thinking about changing cameras. You were unhappy with some photo results. I responded with, it's not the camera, it's the photographer. I'm thinking you have the same camera and if you do you are controlling it like a pro! Absolutely beautiful work! Well Done!

Daniel
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Just to reiterate- I have had my photos stolen when I had a smaller watermark. Sadly, that means that I have to put up this obnoxious watermark. I wanted to make it big an complex so no one could 'shop it out.

Cole: Thanks for being a good sport when Dell and I were messing with you the other day. Were were drinking a few last shots of tequila together before heading north :). I bet Dell told you about my "photo-fanatic"-ness. I'm worse than others, but not as bad as some :).

Daniel- I'm glad you got to spend a little time with Young. I miss him so much.
You're right about the "It's not the camera, it's the photographer" sentiment, but I got a new camera anyway :). I now shoot [and all of these pictures were taken with] a Canon 7D. Biiiig step up from my little T1i, and I couldn't be happier. If you're bored and want to see what I've been doing with it, check out my SmugMug (mishimat.smugmug.com) or my facebook. I just put a very cool album from the crew's weekend trip. I won't spoil anything here- we're planning a special surprise for the forum. I hope we finally get to cross paths in the field someday.

-M