Making Lemonade in New Mexico & Arizona - lots of pics

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jgjulander

Re: Making Lemonade in New Mexico & Arizona - lots of pics

Post by jgjulander »

Always enjoy your threads! Beautiful animals! Sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. From your descriptions, she is definitely one in a million. Reminds me of my mom. Love that shot of her taking a bite. The artwork is fantastic as well.
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

jgjulander wrote:From your descriptions, she is definitely one in a million. Reminds me of my mom. Love that shot of her taking a bite.
Thanks for your comments! When she and I flipped that TX ratsnake, I grabbed it and could tell right away that it was a biter. She wanted to check it out more closely and I told her that it would probably bite her. She just said, "So?" and reached for it. I laughed so hard when it latched on!
TravisK wrote:you go to have such an amazing mother.
Thanks so much, Travis.
Kent VanSooy wrote:York, I've had a great time gazing upon your Mom's painting, and finding all sorts of surprises - the elephant in the man's shoulder, the hawk wing in the turtle's flipper. The light object in the foreground with the hand at one end, is that a cephalopod? And I feel like I should be finding something in the clouds, but I haven't yet.
Kent, I'm so pleased that you like the painting enough to gaze at it! Many of the images are concrete places/things/animals from my past, but Mom swirled in more obscure images all over. When I had questions about the subtler ones, she wouldn't be penned down. That would ruin some of the mystery, I suppose. I'm 100% sure that she would answer your question like this, "If you see a cephalopod, then that's what it is." I see all sorts of things in the clouds (which is kinda how all clouds are) but mostly I see a whale skeleton that hung from the ceiling of the Natural History Museum she used to take us to when we were kids. Of course, who knows what she saw in those clouds? I like it that way. Thanks, again!
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

I brought this thread back up to the top because York did a presentation at an AHA meeting.

Thanks for coming out here! It was nice to hear your stories and meet you in person! Great job! Those NM klaubs tempt me to get over there!
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Norman,
Thanks for bringing York's post back up. IMHO it's one of the best I've ever experienced on FHF. Although there are some great photos of spectacular wildlife and habitat, the "spirit" of the post is it's strength (IMO). Thanks again York.
caliherp

Post by caliherp »

What a great homage to your mother and i'm sorry for your loss. Your pictures are amazing and really put the viewer in your shoes and what it must have been like to hike some of the most beautiful terrain on the planet, thanks for the virtual escape from work!
snaketracker12

Post by snaketracker12 »

Wow! Great Post. Must of been an epic journey. Did you find that pyro in NM??
double d

Post by double d »

Wow , what a badass post!! SPEECHLESS!!
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

GREAT post --- Just wonderful.

Condolences to you for your mom ... you are a good son.

My FAV shot ... love, love, love, reallllllllllly love that Banded Rock Rattlesnake hangin' out with the Arizona Ridgenose Rattlesnake ...
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Awesome! More plz...
JEDDLV

Post by JEDDLV »

I just loved this post, great pics, & the personal touch with the story. Thank you so much for sharing.
Roki

Post by Roki »

That's a pretty awesome thread. Loved the great photography. I'm not sure I've seen that many great shots of rattlesnakes in one spot before.
Cheers,
Roki