found magic knife in AZ

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Sam Sweet

Re: found magic knife in AZ

Post by Sam Sweet »

I'm still stuck on this lost knife thing and how it can be lucky. Is it a matter of "lucky for whom", like rabbits' feet? I never did understand that one. Clarity, please -- both children and adults want to know.
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Sam Sweet wrote:I'm still stuck on this lost knife thing and how it can be lucky. Is it a matter of "lucky for whom", like rabbits' feet? I never did understand that one.
The knife is lucky because when Mike goes herping and the knife is on his person he finds super cool herps. Hence magic, mojo, "lucky", knife. Jeez Sam, sometimes the stupid does burn doesn't it?

-Dell
Sam Sweet

Post by Sam Sweet »

Hence magic, mojo, "lucky", knife.
Waaal fudge, I thought that was due to skill. Thanks a heap for clearing that up.
gbin

Post by gbin »

M Wolverton wrote:Someone lost a gun! Flip out, panick, call the bomb squad, the ATF, and the UN!

This isn't like a knife, it's a gun, shut everything down!
Someone pointed out an instance of a herping gun owner being dangerously irresponsible on an internet forum where gun ownership is frequently discussed (and where people being dangerously irresponsible with venomous snakes are frequently called out for it)! Make a joke of it, exaggerate, ridicule, be an ass!

Mission accomplished, M Wolverton! :thumb:

Gerry
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Gbin, please do not derail my thread with one of your attempts to start a 9 page debate. He lost a gun and I'm sure he is sorry, lets move on.

Sam, I hunted AZ with no experience for 2 days for Lepidus with no luck. I found the knife turned to descend and heard the buzz of my target. From that point on my trip went well. I took it back to AZ the following year and after flipping a few critters I felt bad for Fundad who hadn't found anything. I let him borrow the knife and wouldn't you know. It may be that I learned alot since finding the magic knife but where is the fun in that. I would rather be lucky then good.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

So how dangerous is this knife, as opposed to a *gasp*(the drama) gun?

Apparently Gerry is trippin' balls, should that be some kind of yard stick?
gbin

Post by gbin »

Mike Waters wrote:Gbin, please do not derail my thread with one of your attempts to start a 9 page debate...
Mike, please do not hypocritically misrepresent me or the situation. You know as well as I do that all I did was simply (but firmly) make a point, and that many more posts than I made on the subject were made by others attempting to ridicule me for my stance (as M Wolverton is continuing to do). Though they might not act like it, they're responsible for their behavior, not I.

Not to mention that this thread went three pages before you bothered to tell us what you felt was magical for you about this knife, herp-wise. :roll: Pretty much all the rest was just folks ribbing each other in various ways, anyway.

Congratulations on the rock rattler, in any event. :thumb:

Gerry
M.J.FRANETOVICH

Post by M.J.FRANETOVICH »

Image :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Yesterday I took my knife to an unconfirmed range for zonata. I found a gartersnake. That's one more for the magic knife. I took my gun and did not lose it. That makes me feel like a responsible gun owner.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I just lost my 4 d-cell Maglight a couple of nights ago, and not as in 'I forgot where I put it'... as in... it rolled down a steep bank into a pond (I was photographing amplexus in Red Spotted toads) and kept rolling deeper and deeper into the murky water, till it was no longer reachable or retrievable ... :(
I was really lucky to make it back up the bank, without going for a swim... that pond was inordinately steep and deep... :shock:
Glad to hear you and Brian had some good luck, Mike... :thumb: jim
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

hellihooks wrote: I just lost my 4 d-cell Maglight a couple of nights ago, and not as in 'I forgot where I put it'... as in... it rolled down a steep bank into a pond (I was photographing amplexus in Red Spotted toads) and kept rolling deeper and deeper into the murky water, till it was no longer reachable or retrievable ...
I was really lucky to make it back up the bank, without going for a swim... that pond was inordinately steep and deep...
:?: Jimbo :?:, what did that have to do with anything? :roll:

-Dell
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Hey Mike, I've got a good herp trip coming up, do you think I could borrow the magic knife? I'll pay all shipping required, and promise to return the knife after the trip is over. I really need some mojo on this trip.
You'll get the knife back I promise, and a nice surprise along with it. ;)

-Dell
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

Dell Despain wrote::?: Jimbo :?:, what did that have to do with anything? :roll:
I'm having pizza for dinner.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Dell Despain wrote:
hellihooks wrote: I just lost my 4 d-cell Maglight a couple of nights ago, and not as in 'I forgot where I put it'... as in... it rolled down a steep bank into a pond (I was photographing amplexus in Red Spotted toads) and kept rolling deeper and deeper into the murky water, till it was no longer reachable or retrievable ...
I was really lucky to make it back up the bank, without going for a swim... that pond was inordinately steep and deep...
:?: Jimbo :?:, what did that have to do with anything? :roll:

-Dell
I don't know... multiple meanings for 'lost' and 'lucky' ? :roll: ...just got back from 4 days of scaling mt ranges, walking dunes in 104 heat, and cruising late into the night has me as dull as this thread is getting... :crazyeyes:
'Lucky' is a relative term... scored 3 lifers (including Panamint speck) but lost my flashlight and didn't find any target species (admittedly very unlikely{Ca. Regal Ring/ Ca Gila... :roll: })
So... was I lucky or unlucky? No matter how skilled a herper you are, some luck is always involved... should'a invited Mike and his lucky Knife... :roll: :D jim
r.edwards

Post by r.edwards »

everyone is irresponsible to somebody......and there was no way we were going to report a lost gun, especially one that was purchased for around $1,000, that would have derailed our herp trip by a couple hours........and we didn't have that much time to waste filling out paper work.......actually that was the first thing we did, heck maybe a REAL american would have done the right thing.

what was even more irresponsible was the herper who moved and left his library in an abandoned old herp room that I discovered 20 years later......I walked out of there with a little more than a grand worth of vintage herp books including klaubers book on rattlesnakes. I did the right thing and contacted the famous herper from the late "70's who left it behind. His reply you can have all that stuff I don't need it anymore.......hell ya!

r.edwards
Owen

Post by Owen »

This thread is getting lost. Time once again to play the...

Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Daryl Eby wrote: I'm having pizza for dinner.
Ha! ;)
-------------------------------
I used to have a long pony tail, but now I don't.

-Dell
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

So Mike... did you and Brian find what 'every body needs'? No crying over spilled milks, now... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

When I was little I went to the dump with my dad and I found a pocketknife. I was 5 and he said I could keep it, and showed me how to open and close it right and not to walk or play. My mom found the knife in my box of special sticks and dinosaurs. She let me keep it too.

I was so happy - but only so much later did I realize how lucky I was. And I wish I could tell them.
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Dell Despain wrote:Hey Mike, I've got a good herp trip coming up, do you think I could borrow the magic knife? I'll pay all shipping required, and promise to return the knife after the trip is over. I really need some mojo on this trip.
You'll get the knife back I promise, and a nice surprise along with it. ;)

-Dell
Sure, your testimony would contribute a great deal of truth. Pm me your shipping address and ill send it. However if it is not returned by midnight of the third full moon a naked Indian (native American not red dot) will sneak in to your room and bludgeon you with a stick. So yeah if you want to borrow the mojo then sure, what kind of person would I be to Bogart all that mystical power. With great power comes great responsibility
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

:lol: :lol: Thanks for specifying which ssp. of naked Indian one could expect to show up!.. :lol: :cry: :lol:
Mr. Woolery

Post by Mr. Woolery »

If you read this thread carefully you will notice sarcasm, racial undertones, dead relatives, the second amendment, and the fact that a knife and gbin are both tools.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

And now a new low... insults.(however funny) :roll: :lol: :lol: jim