Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Jeremy Westerman

Re: Spring lutosus encounters.

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Love it Jason. Great stuff, piles of crotes never gets old. I have yet to see rattlesnake "combat" in the wild. Nice to see that others still have not located your winner spot, I believe it was a little too close for comfort to areas frequented by the 'ignorant yokels who might destroy them' crowd.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Nice work Jason. Those snakes are breeding in the spring? They need to read my paper and learn that they are supposed to breed in the summer and fall.... Really cool observations.

I also like the picture with the cheatgrass in the background. I might use that if you wouldn't mind?
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Thanks dudes!

Jeremy, I'm always surprised to see five rv's and multiple ohv's parked out there in front of that place just to go back shortly after and see those snakes have not been disturbed at all. Last year during the drought someone had even cut off the bottom of a Gatorade bottle, filled it with water and set in out at the main entrance for the snakes. Kind of funny but it was better than seeing dead snakes.

Bryan, I will be sure to let them know that they aren't supposed to do that and give them a copy of your paper. I've actually seen multiple examples of them breeding in April. Mostly at lower elevation sites. Your welcome to use that shot if you'd like.