lousy cell pic of my 1st herp this season

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jeremy Westerman

lousy cell pic of my 1st herp this season

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

I am so impatient to get this herp season started I have been out a dozen times checking on garter dens with nothing moving yet. Weather has been in the mid 50°'s F for the last two weeks and Valley and Wandering Garters were visible this time last year. Although I hear reports that some people have found snakes in Box Elder County already, and seen/heard frogs calling in Tooele County and Utah County but again I have found zilch out so far in Northern Utah.
My first herp sighting of the year are these turtles yesterday basking in the Jordan River, Salt Lake City in these horrible cell pone pics. Not what I was looking for but I'll take it.
Red-eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans)
I can't believe one dove in alarm in response when I was across the river more than 100 feet away. Skittish critter.
simpleyork

Re: lousy cell pic of my 1st herp this season

Post by simpleyork »

Nice, can't wait to find some herps. Did find a garter snake a few weeks ago in my backyard but that has been it.
gbeck

Post by gbeck »

Nice finds, Jeremy. It's amazing how skittish those guys are.

One of our local garter dens has been active with Valley and Wandering (they den together there). We also found a pair of rubber boas nearly two weeks ago. We'll have to get some photos together to post.
DennyZ

Post by DennyZ »

Nice finds! So far all I have found is a recent shed when the weather warmed up, but nothing since it started getting cold again.