What is going on here ... more accurately NOT going on here

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jeffreyrichard

What is going on here ... more accurately NOT going on here

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Guys ... I live my herp-life vicariously through this forum ... why is there no action going on? No body herping? (I'm not ...)
No one posting?

I have gotten out exactly once ... in FL back in March ... and I just ran into my 1st 2 snakes of the year in my backyard and while walking the dog (garters ... its something)

WHERE ARE ALL THE POSTERS?
cbernz

Re: What is going on here ... more accurately NOT going on h

Post by cbernz »

This year has sucked for herping. The few days I had free had the wrong weather for the herping I wanted to do: dry and warm in early spring, rainy and/or bloody miserably hot in summer. It's been awesome for my backyard moths, though - I've added over 100 species so far this year and I'm approaching 600 for the yardlist.

I did have some awesome hellbender encounters this week, however. I'll try to do a post soon. The pics aren't much to look at because it's frigging impossible to wrangle a bender and photograph it at the same time, but I have a pretty cool story to tell.
Lireptiles

Post by Lireptiles »

Hope this helps...found in southern NYS.Image
herper1

Post by herper1 »

Yea, I was wondering the same thing about the forum. Guess I am just as much to blame as everyone else, not posting here as much. Personally, I have run into more Pine snakes down here in South Jersey then any other year!
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

I haven't been on here much but still get out in the field from time to time. I've slowed things down a lot because my kids are now 5 and 8 so I am taking them on all of my excursions and taking a look at everything in the woods, not just herps. That being said, when we do look at herps I'm looking for the quality of the experience and not the quantity of herps, so common stuff like garter snakes and green frogs are taking on a good teaching dimension. I never realized how good of a gateway this hobby would be for getting kids to ask questions and to read. Their interest in this is really growing.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I have been chasing numerous "herps with wings" recently. Regular herps are often bycatch from these expeditions.

Exhibit A

ImageEastern Box Turtle by Justin (NoNameKey), on Flickr

ImageNorthern Brown Snake by Justin (NoNameKey), on Flickr

ImageNorthern Red Salamander by Justin (NoNameKey), on Flickr

- Justin
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

Jeffrey, I agree. This chapter has been dead. That being said, I'm equally guilty of not posting. I've still been doing a lot of herping in MA, but I often don't have my camera on me when I am! That being said, I've had a little bit of dumb luck thanks to spending lots of time in the woods and happening across the right place at the right time. I'm hoping to post something here in a bit.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I'm guilty here. I have been doing a lot of herping, but very little posting. I'll post a few things to Facebook, but mostly just rely on Mike to put everything on the blog. I would just copy and paste everything from the blog to here, except that Blogger uses the http image and this forum uses BBCode.

I did recently find a really cute Blanding's, though.

ImageDSC_0026 by Andrea, on Flickr
Kyle from Carolina

Intermedius, that Pseudotriton is stunning. I really gotta get west of the Hudson some more...I remember catching those in the creek and in the mulch when I was a kid. I can't remember the last time I've seen one.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Kyle, have you herped PA or NJ before? I haven't done much in NJ -- YET -- but I've been to PA a few times and I do highly recommend it.
Kyle from Carolina

Andrea, I have yet to herp either of those states, but they're on the list. I'm planning on hitting PA in two weeks...hoping to see some buzztails. I think the chances are good. We'll see though.