Labor Day Hatchling Craziness!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pjfishpa

Labor Day Hatchling Craziness!

Post by pjfishpa »

Last Monday was pretty cool. My daughter and I found a snapper laying eggs this past spring off the road near our house. We fenced the nest off to keep it save from the raccoons and skunks and 103 days later 37 hatchlings crawled out of the ground! Most of the neighbors got involved too. It was neat to educate everyone on Snapping Turtle life cycle, hatchling and nest predation, etc.. I was getting daily reports the last 20 days or so as it became a daily ritual for the grown-ups and kids alike to "check the nest" from incubation day 80 and beyond.

My wife and I found the first one coming out around 9:00 AM and it didn't take long for the word to spread. We all felt like proud parents all over again LOL! The kids helped cart them off to parts of the ditch and a larger connecting ditch that still held water. As soon as they would come back from letting 4 or 5 go there would be more ready to take. We couldn't believe how many eggs survived to hatch!

Attached a few pics of some neonate hoggies found near the nest site too.

I apologize ahead of time for the quality of some of the pics. Mix of iphone and my canon.

pjfishpa

Re: Labor Day Hatchling Craziness!

Post by pjfishpa »

Mods. Please delete this post. I hit submit by mistake before I was done. The one with the same title but with more pics is the one to keep. Thanks!