Oct 10/11th fall in Wisconsin, temp forecast says 77!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Russ Jerome

Oct 10/11th fall in Wisconsin, temp forecast says 77!

Post by Russ Jerome »

I've been successful in years past (we have had some cool nights now this year) with these temps into early October, hoping it holds out.

Anybody else still out looking this year or have you confirmed ingress of bluff critters yet???

I'm going regardless, have a new bore scope with 8' soft lead to peak into caves and it takes pix (black and white).
Russ Jerome

Re: Oct 10/11th fall in Wisconsin, temp forecast says 77!

Post by Russ Jerome »

YES! Well into mid 70's at least, about died doing three bluff climbs today, paid off. South Central Sauk.

I was on top of first "go to" spot for Timbers but thinking I was too late not seeing any in known crevices I started down a steep rocky hillside at 1130 sun now well over head, clear and sunny getting hot. I always seam to see a Bull snake or two but today the hillside dens were teaming with them. Nearly impossible to pull phone out and turn on before they "crashed" into holes and outcroppings (you could hear them before seeing them)
They lay outside there hides and first sign they would bolt. Saw my first Black rat snake in Sauk area, in a burrow. Usual Blue racers hauling off only tails disappearing in cover, assuming racers as I still have not figured out how to corner one as they fly off. 6 lined racer under some tin, did not expect to see him in October but that gate is undeniable as they tear off.
The flexible black and white bore scope idea worked great, its soft rubber tip with LED light did not scare the Bulls or Rat snake when under cover, clear enough to see tongue flickering but they did not pull back or flee. Need a cord to capture pics to phone for importing. Great day, yes they are still out!
Brian Hubbs

Re: Oct 10/11th fall in Wisconsin, temp forecast says 77!

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Nice...show the B&W pics when you get them.