Help in Ohio

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jerry Hartley

Help in Ohio

Post by Jerry Hartley »

Hey Columbus crowd, I just found out that I’m going to be flying in to town in a couple of weeks for work training at Zulily and was hoping to get in one night of road cruising as I have never been to the Midwest. Are there any roads near town that are not a secret that might offer an idiot from out of town a chance to see and photograph some “never seen in the wild before” critters? If not, I get it, but I figured it can’t hurt to ask. I’d pay for fuel if somebody wants to drive. Thanks a bunch…….
JBBoiler

Re: Help in Ohio

Post by JBBoiler »

I was hoping someone would help you. I am in Columbus now and would love to find a few snakes even if they are common creatures. It can be more rewarding to find things on your own even if much more difficult in a new area. Best of luck!
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

I've never roadcruised around Columbus in the summer and can't really imagine what you would find. There are exceptions, but roadcruising tends to not be a common method to try in Ohio.

Is there a specific target in mind?

Jason
JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler »

Thanks for asking Jason. I am back home now and didn't get a chance to search for anything. Central Ohio is pretty empty in the data base. I would have been happy to find a garter snake, but again, I didn't get a chance on this trip. I am not sure when Jerry, the original poster will be in town.

I would have liked to have done some hiking in or near Wayne National Forest. It looks as if it has some nice habitat.

I will be in the Sandusky area in a few weeks. Hopefully I will get some time to herp up there.

John B
Jerry Hartley

Post by Jerry Hartley »

I'm here now and love all the green I'm seeing. Don't see that in my neck of the woods in northern NV. I'll try a country road or two and see what I get. Thanks though.....
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

Your best best is to try one of the state forests, national forests, or state parks within 30 mins or so of Columbus. Should be able to turn up a few snakes, and a bunch of salamanders if you try hiking in a morning and flipping in the creeks and seepages. I've roadcruised vipers in the heat of the summer at night but not much else. Just not anywhere close to Columbus though.

J