Snakes Of Inner Tucson?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jaxl

Snakes Of Inner Tucson?

Post by Jaxl »

Hello! I'm curious, what are some snake species that are possible to find in Tucson? Not including the foothills or outscurts of the city, haha. Thanks! :)
craigb

Re: Snakes Of Inner Tucson?

Post by craigb »

I have spent days trying to memorize this information;
To me this is the most comprehensive site of Arizona reptiles:

http://www.reptilesofaz.org/
Knormal

Post by Knormal »

In my Tucson trips I've never seen any snakes in the city itself. There's plenty in the more residential neighborhoods outside of the main city grid, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. I've heard people find the small insectivorous snakes like sandsnakes and threadsnakes in their backyards, but those guys rarely come above ground.

I have seen a variety of spiny lizards and tree lizards within the city though, and of course Mediterranean geckos are around.
craigb

Post by craigb »

Through the three decades I have herped that area I have seen many of the herps on the az website in vacant lots, and on the outskirts of town. By herps, I mean several different species of rattlesnakes, blacknecked garters, Lyres, gophersnakes, and lizards.

Many good roads extend outward from Tucson. During the Monsoon rains, everything comes out. After the rains, the washes and even flood control channels would be good spots to look.

Timing/conditions are everything... :D

Good luck, take lots of pics and leave the animals... Please.