Got what i think is a Boa?? (Edited): A Reticulatus Python

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jbartron

Got what i think is a Boa?? (Edited): A Reticulatus Python

Post by jbartron »

When i purchase this Snake, i was told that it was a Boa Constrictor from Sumatra, Indonesia. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that could tell me more definitely if this is true and about what age it is (it is about 3 to 3.5 ft long. I bought it at an animal market here in Indonesia... i am from America living here in Indonesia and just enjoy snakes and can buy them cheap when they are from here.... any info would be great

Mattlesnake King

Re: Got what i think is a Boa??

Post by Mattlesnake King »

I believe that is a reticulated python.
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

I just googled it and it looks like that is totally what it is.... would anyone know about what age it might be?
Brian Willey

Post by Brian Willey »

It's a newborn, I hope you are prepared for it to grow!
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

i paid about $25 for it and was wondering if that was an ok price or is it worth more or less
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

jbartron wrote:i paid about $25 for it and was wondering if that was an ok price or is it worth more or less
If your line of questioning is going where I THINK it is,

Sell it. Get $25 for it if you can, but if not, lower your asking price. 8-)

I say that because if you had initially WANTED a boa, but wound up with a retic instead, you're in for a lot of surprises--overall size will be about 3 times bigger, temperament might be 3 times nastier!
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

I agree with Chris, as usual. You ought to get rid of it and get a rosy boa.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
jbartron wrote:i paid about $25 for it and was wondering if that was an ok price or is it worth more or less
If your line of questioning is going where I THINK it is,

Sell it. Get $25 for it if you can, but if not, lower your asking price. 8-)

I say that because if you had initially WANTED a boa, but wound up with a retic instead, you're in for a lot of surprises--overall size will be about 3 times bigger, temperament might be 3 times nastier!
Very good advice from Chris. Retics can differ quite a bit from said boa. My advice for this situation, and for ANY situation involving the purchase of ANY pet/captive reptiles -Read up on them. Educating oneself about the captive care of reptiles (in this case, pythons and boas) is very rewarding and will really help you decide if you want to venture down the path of giant snakes.
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

Yes, get rid of it. Not a good starter snake. :D
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

You are in possession of a baby snake that has the potential to reach over 20 feet in length and can swallow a deer. Trade it for a blood python!
Don

Post by Don »

If you are adventuresome, and have the resources to maintain a giant snake, a retic is (IMHO) better than a boa. Realize that it will grow quite large, has the capability to kill you, and will poop like a St. Bernard. While their reputation is nasty, I've owned and known very placid retics. Once again, it can kill you and will stink when it defecates. I bought one in 1966 that grew to nearly 25 feet in a decade. She was usually mellow, but she had her moments. I'd suggest getting a corn snake. If you can trade even, do it.

About boas: in my experience they are usually more unpredictable than captive raised retics. I have a 7-8 ft female boa that will periodically try to kill me. Not a lap snake!

Good luck!
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

Thanks everyone... i think i might keep it just a little bit longer and be looking for another snake to replace it in the future as i don't have the means to be able to keep a snake of that magnitude in my house, not even having to mentioning the reason of my wife not letting that happen either :)
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

My larger early 2009 female is 16 foot or so.

For reference, the cage is 8'x4'x20" (larger footprint than my bathroom). I was at the far right ont he outside of the cage, she was mostly in the far left part of the cage. I have 2 8's, a stack of 6' and a stack of 4' cages next to each other. She stretches across the 8 and 6 foots and a little bit of the 4 cages when I take her out. That's in less than 3 years with good feeding after a slowish start. She's usually calm and docile but has nailed me 2x now, and both times were godawful messy and painful. For feeding--she eats about a 6-9 lb rabbit or small pig every 10 days in season (she doesn't eat for about 2-3 months during winter).

If you can't even identify it without asking, you're not ready for a retic. Find a local rescue or snake guy that knows WTF he's doing and get rid of it. I love retics, they're wonderful animals, and totally unsuited for a novice. The fact they said it was from Indonesia should have been a clue, as boa constrictor is a Central/South American species.

If you like boas and pythons--look at sand boas, spotted or children's pythons, rosy boas, balls, smaller Morelia pythons maybe, dwarf boas like Hog Island boas, savu pythons, maybe dumeril's boas (although they can get large)...there's lots of better options for a novice. Don't get hung up on getting your money back or whatever.
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

Thanks for the info... i am from America and living here in Indonesia and not familiar with what snakes are here, but saw this one in a market and bought it... I love all kinds of snakes and have handled many in my life time just not had the chance to own one for a long period of time as a pet, so i figured i'd start at the local animal market where i can pick up some cool looking snakes and at a cheap price.

Thanks again for the picture and info and i may end up selling or trading it in on something else i see at the animal market next time i go...
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

jbartron wrote:Thanks for the info... i am from America and living here in Indonesia and not familiar with what snakes are here, but saw this one in a market and bought it... I love all kinds of snakes and have handled many in my life time just not had the chance to own one for a long period of time as a pet, so i figured i'd start at the local animal market where i can pick up some cool looking snakes and at a cheap price.

Thanks again for the picture and info and i may end up selling or trading it in on something else i see at the animal market next time i go...
I picked up on the Indonesia bit early one, and the Blood Python option someone else mentioned therefore makes a lot of sense...to a degree.

The concern I see now is that like retics, bloods have a reputation for being feisty, especially wild-caught. My guess is that the "animal market" in Indonesia would have these snakes readily available--as wild-caughts. Not sure how much captive breeding is going on in your area.

How long are you going to be living in Indonesia? If only temporarily, I'd suggest waiting until you return to the US where I'd imagine you'll have a better selection of "ideal" snakes (more variety of species, with the bonus of being domestically-bred and healthy). If you're living in Indonesia permanently, try to network with local folks who can point you toward domestically-bred animals to improve your odds of success.

A reticulated python is a heck of an impulse buy! :lol:
jbartron

Re: Got what i think is a Boa?? (Edited): A Reticulatus Pyt

Post by jbartron »

Yeah i am going to be living here for many years to come now... i have a few great pet shops that i have recently found and have been eyeballing them. And about the impulse buy, it was either this or a viper and i was not about to go for a viper :)
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Yeah, avoid vipers :P anything that can kill you is a bad first snke.
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

I was thinking the same thing :thumb:
Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn »

See if they have any Beauty snakes available.

Great snakes which get good size but nowhere near as big as a retic.They also make great display animals since they climb a lot and don't always hide.

Native to SE Asia although I don't know if Indonesia has any endemics....
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

Paul White wrote:Yeah, avoid vipers :P anything that can kill you is a bad first snke.
Yeah, like a retic, lol.

The first thing I thought of when I read the first post is: Bait

I'm getting old.
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

i would suggest a corn or beauty snake. those sound just a bit better than the world's longest snake.:)
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Yeah, like a retic, lol.
Hey, I did say they were an awful first snake :P.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Where are you in Indonesia? I'm hoping for some nice field herping posts from you!

Curtis
monklet

Post by monklet »

Paul White wrote:Yeah, avoid vipers :P anything that can kill you is a bad first snke.
:lol: Bad last snake too.
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

Curtis Hart wrote:Where are you in Indonesia? I'm hoping for some nice field herping posts from you!

Curtis
I am currently living on the island of Java but am soon going to move to Kalimantan... i am stoked to see what is in those jungles
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

I like all the others think that a Retic is not a good first snake, but my goodness arent they a beautiful snake! lol
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

And if you paid $25 for it, was that US or Indonesia currency? If Indonesian, what is the exchange rate? Did you just pay $1.75 US? haha jking
jbartron

Post by jbartron »

jayder85 wrote:And if you paid $25 for it, was that US or Indonesia currency? If Indonesian, what is the exchange rate? Did you just pay $1.75 US? haha jking
That was US currency and the current exchange rate is going up right now and is a little over RP 9,000 per $1 :) And i am enjoying the snake for now while enjoying some herping around central Java :thumb: