Shedding mystery?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ThatFrogGuy

Shedding mystery?

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Well I've got sort of a mystery. On Thursday I noticed my corn snake was going into the shed cycle, and it proceded to get the dull colors and cloudy eyes. Yesterday I noticed its eyes were back to normal..but no shed. Today its colors seem to be back but there is still no shed anywhere in the tank. What should I do?
Kelly Mc

Re: Shedding mystery?

Post by Kelly Mc »

Just wait . All is well . The shed will come .

Unless its fully retained for some reason , too dry or the snake has some lack of fitness - but if he has been eating and your ducks are all in a row with his env , that doesnt happen normally . And when it does its pretty obvious - the snake wont coil in the usual manner and has a distinct stiffness dermal - creased where he curves .

Its easy to worry . When I got my first tiny neo tarantula every time she was due to molt I was a nervous preocupied mess . Looking at her all the time . Then I would find the little molt and the sky was blue again .
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

they usually clear up a few hours to a few days before actually shedding (the time increases with age)
Gyri

Post by Gyri »

The gray color is caused by a secretion between the old skin and the new one to help loosen or lubricate the layer that is about to come off. That fluid is reabsorbed back into the body prior to shedding and the gray color disappears. I have 5 snakes and have had some others in the past and found that they all cleared up for at least a day but a couple individuals would go as long as a week. I found that feeding them or bathing them a couple days after they clear up often prompts a shed almost immediately, but this is more for your interest than the snake's benefit. As long as the snake is not dehydrated it will eventually shed on its own accord. If the shed comes off in lots of pieces or flakes off without proper shedding then the environment was probably too arid and you should bathe the snake to get rid of the loose pieces and mist more often, especially as the snake enters a shed cycle
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Thanks for the help everyone! It shed succesfully with a small piece left on the tail, I pulled it off and put some wet moss in a hide for next time.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Good deal! :) ...and just for anyone else reading this thread who may not already know this:

Always check the tail of a snake post shed as a stuck tip if not removed will ultimately strangle off the tail tip. Use mineral oil or at least some water and cox it off very gently. If it doesn't come off with gentle rubbing, keep coated/moist for a few hours or so and try again.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

You know, I always check the toe tips of my Leopard Gecko, but I never thought about checking tail tips on snakes.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

If a tail tip is left on - it will tighten up , breach blood flow and the tip will eventually fall off - and ) : no longer perfect specimen .

Snakes that become mysteriously defensive snappy should always be checked for a necrosing tip - the living tissue adjacent beams with pain signals , as a constant source of adverse stimuli . If you find it in time or if there was still some circulation it will heal and the little marr will fill in but if its dead - its best to come off .
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Brad and Kelly---I have found several snakes over the years in the wild that have had that small piece of skin on the tail. Sometimes with the end just barely attached. I used to think it was caused by freezing during Winter. But trouble in shedding makes more sense.

That FrogGuy---A good subject to bring up!

Gary
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Gary I think your reason has merit too - makes just as much sense . Could be both things happening .

Its a great subject - agreed!

That FrogGuy , you may soon need to change your handle to That Frog&SnakeGuy