N. Pine

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

monklet

N. Pine

Post by monklet »

First off, just found this new forum. Thanks Scott! :thumb:

Just took these shots the other day of my freshly shed Northern Pine. Frankly, the "high white" doesn't last too long in my experience and will get a slight "dishwater" cast in a few weeks till next shed. Not sure if this is because it gets dirty or there's just a subtle shift in pigmentation ...any ideas on this?

With me for size comparison. He's about 6' 2" at 32 months but just came off a long fast (161 days) but only lost like 100 grams!
Tim Borski

Re: N. Pine

Post by Tim Borski »

Brad, your Pine is drop-dead gorgeous!
6' 2" in 32 months?! Wow, they're fast growers. Last October I found a 23 incher (FL Pine) and it's now 33+". How do you measure yours?
Tim
monklet

Re: N. Pine - more goodies w/ growth graphs

Post by monklet »

Thanks Tim,

This particular individual is rather exceptional in his growth rate, which has unforntunately stalled due to his extended fasting. He was five feet on his first birthday and 6 feet on his second!

I measure using a board marked with inches along a wall to create a sort of tunnel. IF they cooperate it works pretty well to get a minimum. Of course there is always at least a bit of "kinking" so I guesstimate conservatively the sum of that. I'm confident in the measurements as stated and if anything, they are slightly shy of reality.

My "desk" is one of those six foot fold-up utility tables and he often crawls across it while I'm working ...never perfectly straight of course but he definitely reaches end to end.

As for your S. Pine - WOW! I'd sure like to see a picture of it. I'd say 10" in 5 months is pretty good.

None of my '09 Pines are growing near as fast as "Azar", in fact, I don't think any are quite 5 feet yet. I have a website that I use to track my feedings, growth etc. which also offers graphs. I've been doing this for all my snakes for just over a year now. It's all by weight though but they do offer interesting trends, especially when meal weight data is given.

Here's links to a few. (they are produced real-time from currently available data).

'08 Northern Pine Male
http://serpentrack.com/?c=graphs&a=image_w&id=34

'09 Black Pine Female - probably about 1000gms. today.
http://serpentrack.com/?c=graphs&a=image_w&id=47

'09 Louisiana Pine Female (has just gone off-feed for who knows what reason)
http://serpentrack.com/?c=graphs&a=image_w&id=55

'09 Southern Pine Female
http://serpentrack.com/?c=graphs&a=image_w&id=48

'09 Northern Pine Female (also off-feed as of recently)
http://serpentrack.com/?c=graphs&a=image_w&id=44

'09 Northern Pine Male
http://serpentrack.com/?c=graphs&a=image_w&id=43
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

that's a monster pine man! Neat snakes.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Great looking animals. Gotta love Pituophis!

-Chris
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Really awesome pine! Lots of white!

The growth rate on that snake is something else!

You have some really nice pines in your collection. I have been to your website before and really like your graphs. I too weigh all my feeders. Always interesting to see how much they are fed compared to what they gain.

After all your great pics I think I'll wait a while before posting my pine! :lol:

Just hope things pick up on this new forum, it will probably take a while!

Gary
monklet

Post by monklet »

Thanks guys! :)

Gary - you (and everyone else) are more than welcome to use SerpenTrack if you want to database your record keeping. ...or do you already use some husbandry tracking s/w? If not, I'm glad to help you get started.

Brad
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I just use excel to track weights on some of my stuff. Others I can't weigh (the retics for instance).
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Brad, thanks for the link. I took a few quick pics of my animal this morn.

I've gotta get one of them black felts to shoot on...
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Those are all very nice pits, Brad! That N Pine is awesome. :thumb: Hubbs claims he has a Florida Kingsnake that can eat it. :lol:
monklet

Post by monklet »

Hey Tim, thanks for posting the pine! Wow, that is a "wild" looking animal - all Pit! Good pics too as they show the animal really well. I use that black cloth because for my captive portrait shots I prefer that the snake is the only element in the image.

Ross, thanks for the compliment. As for Hubbs, he has a standing invitation to prove it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul, I don't know how to use Excel so I wrote my own program to do it all. :D
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

huh. I'd think learning excel was easier but that's just me :lol:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

That is spectacular. Do you know how many generations that is from WC? That is seriously nice.

Thirty two months???????????? Talk about power feeding.

It sucks I can't keep them here in GA. That is a favorite snake for me and that one is especially nice.
monklet wrote:First off, just found this new forum. Thanks Scott! :thumb:

Just took these shots the other day of my freshly shed Northern Pine. Frankly, the "high white" doesn't last too long in my experience and will get a slight "dishwater" cast in a few weeks till next shed. Not sure if this is because it gets dirty or there's just a subtle shift in pigmentation ...any ideas on this?

With me for size comparison. He's about 6' 2" at 32 months but just came off a long fast (161 days) but only lost like 100 grams!
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

So you like you Pines do you? How do you like the Black Pine? I found one in Mississippi way back when. I found they are relatively common where they do occur... if you know what I mean. I found a hatchling in December and 2 road killed adults in a 5 month period. I didn't hunt much.

I bought a pair from the FW Zoo before they hit the pet market. I hated them. Gave me a heart attack everytime I opened the enclosure.

Very impressive animals all around. The best of luck with them.

Btw... are you breeding the Black pines?
monklet

Post by monklet »

Well, one would think I power fed that big pine but I still think not really, a mid-size meal 5-8 day interval...and he even went off feed for a few months (didn't keep records then). I've fed my '09 pines above about the same and they're all growing much more slowly.

Yep, love the big pits. The black pine is extremely healthy and robust and never bites and rarly hisses ...she's just the whippiest, most nervous snake I've ever had ...I know alot of them are pussy cats. All snakes are individuals of course not that some type don't have general temperments. I'd rather she be hissy bitey than whippy. Really hard to appreciate her when she won't be still for a second.

Nope, not really breeding anything this season. Hopefully a pair of rats and deppei next season ...that is if my little girl P. d. d. would pick up the eating.

Glad you enjoyed the post, thanks.

Brad
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

What was really cool is mine never bit but the bluff totally freaked me out everytime. She would strike with mouth open but never bit. It was the coolest behavior but nerves could not handle it.

I wouldn't mind trying to get another pair.

Good luck with them.
monklet wrote:Well, one would think I power fed that big pine but I still think not really, a mid-size meal 5-8 day interval...and he even went off feed for a few months (didn't keep records then). I've fed my '09 pines above about the same and they're all growing much more slowly.

Yep, love the big pits. The black pine is extremely healthy and robust and never bites and rarly hisses ...she's just the whippiest, most nervous snake I've ever had ...I know alot of them are pussy cats. All snakes are individuals of course not that some type don't have general temperments. I'd rather she be hissy bitey than whippy. Really hard to appreciate her when she won't be still for a second.

Nope, not really breeding anything this season. Hopefully a pair of rats and deppei next season ...that is if my little girl P. d. d. would pick up the eating.

Glad you enjoyed the post, thanks.

Brad
monklet

Post by monklet »

Funny thing, it's kind of cool when they get ya ...it's like, ok, Yay champ! - I'd probaby do that to, if I could, if some goon was f'ing with me. :lol:
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

I love that huge high-white guy! Just looks fantastic.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

monklet wrote: As for Hubbs, he has a standing invitation to prove it :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Yeah, he's all bark and no bite.