testing for crypto

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kfen

testing for crypto

Post by Kfen »

Just wanted to share my experience in having fecals tested for crypto. I initially paid about $150 for a single test from a vet. After looking around online, I found a place that does it for $24.50. It is called Avian Biotech and they are out of Florida (I think they also have a lab in the UK under the name Animal Genetics). It couldn't have been easier. Call them up or go on their website and they will send you test kits for free. Put some stool in baggie and send it back. They don't really advertise that they do it for reptiles, but they do. Their form you have to fill out doesn't even include crypto as one of their tests, you have to write it in.
The hardest part was figuring out you have to shut off your antivirus software to get on their webpage.
www.avianbiotech.com/
justinm

Re: testing for crypto

Post by justinm »

Thanks for the tip. Years ago I lost some very nice and expensive animals to this. It's horrible and my vet at the time couldn't diagnose until necropsy.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Kfen wrote:Just wanted to share my experience in having fecals tested for crypto. I initially paid about $150 for a single test from a vet. After looking around online, I found a place that does it for $24.50. It is called Avian Biotech and they are out of Florida (I think they also have a lab in the UK under the name Animal Genetics). It couldn't have been easier. Call them up or go on their website and they will send you test kits for free. Put some stool in baggie and send it back. They don't really advertise that they do it for reptiles, but they do. Their form you have to fill out doesn't even include crypto as one of their tests, you have to write it in.
The hardest part was figuring out you have to shut off your antivirus software to get on their webpage.
http://www.avianbiotech.com/
Are you sure they test for lizard / snake Cryto? Which is much different than Avian Cryto. Could give false positives and negatives.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

They do :thumb: Good looking out though.. :)

Awesome resource
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Kelly beat me too it, but yes, I confirmed it over the phone.