Getting rid of pesky drain flies from your herp facility

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BillMcGighan

Getting rid of pesky drain flies from your herp facility

Post by BillMcGighan »

Coincidental with a recent topic, someone asked me to share my method of eliminating unwanted tiny black flies (Dung, Sewer, Drain, etc.)

Whether vectors of bad things for a collection, or not, a tiny fly that lands on fresh fecal matter, then cruises the room for more, or a thawing mouse, is just not healthy.
I never got them when I kept herps in the house. Now I get them every year when I put out damp sphagnum egg boxes. They come in from the drain of my deep sink, or just when I open and close the door to the shed.

Every year I kill them all. This has worked well for me:

. I put out some 2 small plastic cups (like round margarine containers), with about an inch of apple cider vinegar in them.
. To this I add one drop of dish detergent (this breaks the surface tension).
. Additionally, I hand fly paper spirals (at any feed and seed or walmart) above the vinegar cups.

This double whammy generally cleans them out in no time. Of course, my shed is only 12’ X 16’, so you may need more or less, based on room volume.

Many ways to skin the cat -
You may already have a protocol that works well for you. Please feel free to add to this.

Regards, Bill
ThomWild

Re: Getting rid of pesky drain flies from your herp facility

Post by ThomWild »

I have also tried the apple cider vinegar (not in correlation with the paper though) and have been extremely pleased with how effective it has been. As Bill mentioned it really doesn't take long at all to wipe them all out.

-Thomas
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I use the same pair of tricks for fruit flies. With them it takes a little while (~ 2 weeks) to wipe them out, but it is highly effective if you stay on it (e.g., don't let all the vinegar evaporate). Thanks for posting.

cheers,
Jimi
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Thanks for the idea! I don't have too many now as its colder and drier, but had quite a few last summer. I will try this method for sure. Even if the flies cant be vectors for anything, it will make my wife much happier!
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

variation on a theme...

Take a common glass jar with lid. Poke or drill a tiny hole going from outer surface inward( top of lid inward). Add a 1/2" or so of apple cider vinegar to jar. Attach drilled lid. Flies go in the hole and exhaust themselves and drown in vinegar. Vinegar and trap effectiveness is a long time, as evaporation is minimal. Unlike others, I have never wiped them all out, but it keeps them to a tolerable level and reduces the new recruits that seemingly appear from nowhere. I will try adding a tiny drop of detergent and see if that increases efficacy...

This trap is a good thing to deploy before you have an infestation... You may have some of these devils around without realizing it. They are obnoxious pests and a threat to eggs.

Please advise us if you know a better way.

Good luck, Vic
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Where do they breed in herp rooms? I only have seen drain flies occasionally as pests in a bathroom. Bleach down drain fixes that pretty quickly.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Vic, I think your method sounds most effective and least intrusive. I have to try that if the need arises.

Joseph, I tried to make the title less gross and used the euphemism of “drain fly”, but the more appropriate common term for herpers is “dung fly”.
These could be Sphaeroceridae or Scathophagidae.
In my case they come into my shed through a deep sink drain (and you’re right bleach takes care of that) but, once in, they find moisture in moist hides, egg laying media, and fresh herp feces. It’s the fecal media that is most worrisome for cross possible contamination.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Where do they breed? Consider we are quite likely lumping together several species which may or may not have similar life histories . I think almost any organic matter will provide the larvae with sustenance. Damp sphagnum moss with an overlooked piece of shed skin or feces for example. Fluids from breeding, feeding, egg laying in substrate. Over looked item in water dish. Overlooked food items, a trash can that needs cleaning/emptying. Overlooked amphibian eggs, etc.

I came home from vacation and found feces infested with tiny larvae once. More commonly I have seen a few buzzing around and in my incubator, much to my dismay. Cleanliness /sanitation prevents plauges of them, but a few may recruit into your vivaria from outside sources and become a chronic problem . I keep a few traps going and find a dozen or so flies within every few weeks .
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

We could be lumping more than just species, but families together. I have heard of people referring to "their" flies as scuttle flies, or fungus gnats, both of which are separate families from the ones listed above.
Joseph S. wrote:Where do they breed in herp rooms? I only have seen drain flies occasionally as pests in a bathroom. Bleach down drain fixes that pretty quickly.
I have never had flies in any of my drains, but often have them in my cages. I keep mostly humidity loving species where there is usually at least some damp spot at all times.
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Ah, you must be talking of phorid flies. Yes, those are difficult beasts to eradicate.
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Yes, phorid flies are what I get from time to time in the summer. I never used to have them until I had a cricket colony. I think they came in with the crickets and I haven't truly been able to get rid of them since (though I can keep the numbers way down by keeping things clean). I will try the above methods to see if they help.