Rescued Mojave cage setup

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pahothand

Rescued Mojave cage setup

Post by pahothand »

Had some rescued rattlesnakes brought by this weekend. And included in the lot was a green Mojave(which I swore I would never keep) the type A venom scares the crap out of me. I don't plan on keeping him/her long but want to set it up as comfortable as possible while I have it. Does anyone else out there keeping these guy use cypress mulch or is the consensus sand and pebbles to keep the humidity down? The sweater box he was brought to me just had indoor outdoor carpet in it. The snake is very thin bodied and took a small mouse within 20 minutes on getting into the tank. So appetite is not going to be an issue. Thanks for any insight you can give.
Jimi

Re: Rescued Mojave cage setup

Post by Jimi »

Since it's a rescue why not use a lab-type quarantine setting for the next couple months? A dark plastic hide for security, on paper? Sheet paper, or carefresh if you like.

If you go with frequent small meals to get weight back on him, you're going to have a constant supply of feces & urates to deal with.

That animal does not want humidity.

I wouldn't keep that animal in a sweater box. Accident waiting to happen IMO, unless you are incredibly diligent with your tools and your hands, and also with closing up shop when done servicing.

Good luck and be careful.

Cheers,
Jimi
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

As I understand it these Crotes came from a guy who got himself in a bit of trouble and won't be home to take care for them for a very long time. I am using a quarantine set up with them all I have not used carefree before but might try it. I ordered a sand desert rock mix too. I have a dark hide for it but have yet to see it use it. It seems to like sitting on the rock pile in the cool side of the enclosure.
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Sounds like you're on the right track. Sand and cover. Try and set the amount of cover items somewhere between what you'd do for C. atrox and C. cerastes, since scutes tend to occupy that habitat in nature. You tend to find them where the sandy flats meet large mountains (and accompanying vegetation), so that's what you're shooting for.

I agree with Jimi about the shoebox thing. If you thought atrox were pissy, you're in for a rude awakening. They're not very big, but you're probably going to want to leave yourself some room to work. ;)
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

Sand mix here will set him up in a new quarantine enclosure today. He has been taking a small mouse with enthusiasm every 3 days. Will keep on the frequent small meals regiment for a few weeks until I see how his digestive system is working.
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

Well this fella has yet to keep a meal down for more than four days. He eats with vigor then regurgitates after a few days. I am now going to try hoppers and see where that takes us.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Do you deworm your rescues? A little panacur/flagyl mixture may help this guy out. You can inject the appropriate dosage into a hopper before feeding.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

If he is regurgitating every time he eats maybe you should give him some time before you medicate by feeder proxy. Its a useful method in cases like this but if it gets regurgitated again there is no point.

Continuing to feed him one after another coming up can consummate in weakness, refusal to eat , and death.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Im sure here, it goes without saying that drug injection of feeders is done with Dead Feeders. Not live ones.

I don't know if your snake is ill, or just thin. Or any specifics that would warrant an accurate throwing out of how many days to wait.

But I tend to think of it as a major physiological event that required time for the snake to stabilize is my priority. Its case by case but I lean towards being patient. It is truly case by case. There are a range of effects from electrolytes and fluids loss to disruption or temporary injury of epithelium.

I also re start the snake on very small prey that are not meant to be a meal. Weight gain becomes secondary. The pinky or fuzzy is a low impact Tester, and consecutive ones 'Nurser-Alongers'. lol
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Two questions immediately come to mind...

First, what are the temps like in your enclosure? Scutes like it hotter than many other crotaline species, so it's possible that low temps could be a factor.

Second, is it wild caught? That could also be a contributing factor.

If your temps are good, you might do well to cover the cage. I've had to do that for other high-strung rattlesnakes before, especially wild-caught animals. Hopefully, your problems are external rather than internal. Are you able to post any photos of the animal and it's enclosure?
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

I am thinking that it may be a temperature issue if you say they like it hotter than most crotaline. The room temp is 68 the in cage temp is 74 with a hot spot from a under tank heater. I will try to get some pictures to put up later. What would you suggest I adjust that in cage temp to?
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

pahothand wrote: What would you suggest I adjust that in cage temp to?
Maybe just a few degrees hotter than you'd want for C. atrox. Low- to mid-nineties in the basking spot should do the trick.
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

pahothand wrote:I am thinking that it may be a temperature issue if you say they like it hotter than most crotaline. The room temp is 68 the in cage temp is 74 with a hot spot from a under tank heater. I will try to get some pictures to put up later. What would you suggest I adjust that in cage temp to?
Damn, that seems really cold to be trying to feed. When I kept snakes, all rooms were kept over 80 degrees. That could very well be the problem. But if the snake is already emaciated, definitely keep to small meals.
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

Yes but about 2/3 of my snakes are under for the winter so the ones that are awake are all getting localized heat and warming heaters under there tank I won't start waking them and bringing temps slow up for a week to 10 more days.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Joshua Jones wrote:Two questions immediately come to mind...

First, what are the temps like in your enclosure? Scutes like it hotter than many other crotaline species, so it's possible that low temps could be a factor.

Second, is it wild caught? That could also be a contributing factor.

If your temps are good, you might do well to cover the cage. I've had to do that for other high-strung rattlesnakes before, especially wild-caught animals. Hopefully, your problems are external rather than internal. Are you able to post any photos of the animal and it's enclosure?

Temps are universally important with this issue, and species specific acuity to stress and stimuli. Because of this , its better to step away from the car and let an actual crote guy address those things. This is a good thread. I love when this happens for rescues
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

You love this when this happens for rescues?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yes. When compassion and focus ball up like a comet between strangers for a lost little one, I like it.
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

I didn't answer this in my last post but I do not know weather it was a WC specimen or not.
pahothand

Post by pahothand »

The acute seems to be doing better. I moved him to a smaller enclosure a few days ago. He has kept his meal down for 5 days and had a small BM. I adjusted his cage temp to 75 with a a hot spot. Thanks for your help.
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Good deal. Let us know how things work out.