Kelly - I sent you a pm

KevinS

Re: Lizard Test

Post by KevinS » November 6th, 2013, 9:55 am

He's a beauty!

Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini » November 6th, 2013, 4:28 pm

How is this a test, did I miss something?

Beautiful lizard!

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » November 6th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Haha i hope so - I was trying out my new gadget and testing posting a pic, and it put a link up that i couldnt change. It put the whole roll on including videos of me singing to my cat and an accidental 'On' one where i was making my girlfriend listen to me practice how i am going to say no to a holiday thing i dont want to go to.

El Garia I got your pm about it - thanks

Yes that is the largest of my males. He likes naners.

Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog » November 7th, 2013, 3:41 am

That lizard is a handsome dude!

Tuataurifer

Post by Tuataurifer » November 7th, 2013, 10:44 am

Are you reproducing these guys?

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » November 7th, 2013, 2:33 pm

My group is progeny of a pair that I was keeping for a herpetologist who needed the room to focus on his stehlini, with the agreement I could keep any babies in exchange. I have no plans to breed them for the pet market, no.

justinm

Post by justinm » November 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm

He's a pretty cool looking lizard for sure. What's the story on these. Are there regulations against them being brought in? Why wouldn't you want to breed them. I'm guessing that lizard keepers would go nuts for these guys.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » November 7th, 2013, 3:01 pm

There are a couple people in the US that breed them and other gallotia. I'm not interested in breeding these sibs. Not interested in producing any reptiles presently. They are actually kind of high maintenance extremely quarrelsome , right out of the egg.

regalringneck

Post by regalringneck » November 8th, 2013, 6:56 pm

... after that pix came into focus ... one word came to mind ... geebus ...

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » November 10th, 2013, 7:10 pm

The thing with these guys is they are extremely dashy, require large enclosures with very stable artifact, and they have unpredictable behaviors even in pairs. Females also, cannot be housed together reliably. They mean business - will kill a subordinate.

If you see footage of them in open biome you will note fast,constant power plays between individuals.

Because of their omnivorous habits - they have broad assessment and memory frames with non moving food items and in working with them i have encorperated some of my observations/methods in habituating other (more oblgate insectivore) species - to habituate to thawed insects.

My reason for doing this is, for my own investigative curiousity in exploring how food is assessed and accepted, and also because, for the GP mainstream lizard pet owner, the continued acquisition and upkeep of live insects has identified itself to be the number one reason for relinquishment of their pet.

I have 2 groups of leopard geckos that have been habituated to accept thawed crickets and dubia, without forceps, an Auffenbergs Monitor and all of my bearded dragons i have had for the past few years. They are easy. The leos are a little trickier, sometimes they 'reset' if offered live crickets in equal or significant proportion, but 4 seperate individuals sold as adults continue to eat thawed from a dish, and all but one are owned by kids or young teens.