Breeding Broadhead Skinks (request)

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

justinm

Re: Breeding Broadhead Skinks (request)

Post by justinm »

I have to admit as a kid I tried to collect a few and of the three times I can clearly remember trying to keep them they didn't eat any of the myriad bugs I found and offered.
pete

Post by pete »

I've bred fasciatus before. Kept a pair in a twenty long for several years. I would brumate them in my basement for two months. I didn't have access to UVB lights back then(30 years ago) but a 60 watt bulb over a stack of rocks provided a basking site. i think UVB would be very beneficial. A pile of bark slabs on the other side gave a cool retreat. I used dolomite for a calcium supplement and the female would produce multiple clutches per year. The eggs would hatch in 35-50 days.
Laticeps should be similar, very easy to keep if you give them good hiding spots. After a period of time they get used to you and hide less.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

...hope somebody answers in considerable detail, or mebbe even cuts n pastes txt or links from bygones ...
i've raised several w/c n-american skinks over the years & generally observed & enjoyed robust health & growth, w/ crickets, canned & vegetable food, but never, interestingly enough, despite the former... i have never had any of these native skinks lay eggs, nor produce live young. hhmm .
One thing to try is a white light insect trap (at night) to feed a maximum of seasonal variation in prey to them.