SUCCESS! TX Banded Gecko Hatchlings

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

SUCCESS! TX Banded Gecko Hatchlings

Post by chris_mcmartin » August 2nd, 2013, 3:40 am

Well, after several unproductive years of coming very close, I finally took two clutches of Coleonyx brevis eggs from mating, to laying, to incubation, to hatching. They took 47-48 days at a temperature of 82.5 deg F.

The baby on the upper right of the photograph does have a tail, it's just tucked behind its body.

Don Becker

Re: SUCCESS! TX Banded Gecko Hatchlings

Post by Don Becker » August 2nd, 2013, 5:01 am

Was there any thing you changed this time to account for the success, or do you think you just finally got lucky?

Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover » August 2nd, 2013, 6:54 am

Super nice, Chris! Coleoxny are some of my all-time favorites, but I'd much prefer to get captive bred animals over the wild caught stuff usually offered on the interwebs. Congrats on the little guys. I produced some about ten years ago and they were a blast... wish I still had them, actually.

-Cole

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » August 2nd, 2013, 6:57 am

psyon wrote:Was there any thing you changed this time to account for the success, or do you think you just finally got lucky?
Yes. I changed incubation substrate from vermiculite to Repashy Super Hatch. I prepared it according to the instructions, but then never added any water, meaning the substrate gradually got drier and drier (though there was still available moisture as evidenced by the condensation on the container lid. In the past I had been maintaining the humidity WAY too high throughout the incubation period, and I had several dead-in-egg babies because apparently the eggs couldn't dent giving them an opportunity to break out.

I also finally used a more "formalized" incubation process (styrofoam cooler with a thermostat).

Cole--I'll have to verify with my notes for these two clutches, but at least two babies are from WC parents. For the other two, they may be a mix of 1 WC and 1 CB parent, but I'll double check.

Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover » August 2nd, 2013, 7:21 am

Chris - very cool. What I meant about the WC availability is that I've seen ads from some large dealers showing emaciated, thin, probably parasitized critters. It's gratifying to see a WC animal adapt well enough to breed in captivity, isn't it? Sort of lets you know you're doing something right. It's especially cool when the F1 animals get to breeding size.

-Cole

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » August 2nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

Just looked back in the records and two of these babies are from a Pandale Male (now deceased) and a Black Gap (border end) Female; the other two are from the same Pandale Male but an F1 Female from a South TX Male (real screamer; now deceased) and a Black Gap (NW end) Female (also now deceased).

justinm

Post by justinm » August 3rd, 2013, 11:52 am

Congra
a

Congrats, sounds like you've earned some success.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » August 4th, 2013, 12:00 pm

justinm wrote:Congrats, sounds like you've earned some success.
Is that a jab based on the other threads I'm arguing on the Board Line? :lol:

I'll write up my experiences for the SWCHR Bulletin, probably for the December issue by the time I finish all my other herp projects from this year (local herp survey results, Snake Days results, herpers survey forthcoming, etc). In my previous search of literature, both professional and avocational, I didn't see anything about letting the incubation substrate dry out to the extent I did, other than people telling me "yeah, you should do that" AFTER my D.I.E. experiences. :?

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » September 5th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Well, that initial success was short-lived, as all four hatchlings expired within about three weeks of hatching. Not quite sure why, but I might've been keeping them too humid.

I have three new hatchlings that are about a week old, and I'm housing them individually (the previous four were housed together) and keeping them drier. So far, so good. Two more eggs should hatch next week, and one to two a couple of weeks after that, and that will be all for the season.

Jlassiter

Post by Jlassiter » September 9th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Awesome Chris....Congratulations!

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla » September 9th, 2013, 12:47 pm

chris_mcmartin wrote:Well, after several unproductive years of coming very close, I finally took two clutches of Coleonyx brevis eggs from mating, to laying, to incubation, to hatching. They took 47-48 days at a temperature of 82.5 deg F.

The baby on the upper right of the photograph does have a tail, it's just tucked behind its body.

Those are very cool!

justinm

Post by justinm » September 9th, 2013, 1:44 pm

chris_mcmartin wrote:
justinm wrote:Congrats, sounds like you've earned some success.
Is that a jab based on the other threads I'm arguing on the Board Line? :lol:

I'll write up my experiences for the SWCHR Bulletin, probably for the December issue by the time I finish all my other herp projects from this year (local herp survey results, Snake Days results, herpers survey forthcoming, etc). In my previous search of literature, both professional and avocational, I didn't see anything about letting the incubation substrate dry out to the extent I did, other than people telling me "yeah, you should do that" AFTER my D.I.E. experiences. :?

Sorry,

I think I did that on my phone... Not a slight on you at all.