power outage

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pete

power outage

Post by pete »

Due to last weekends storm I lost power for three days straight with night temps in the low teens.Sadly my dart frog colony did not fare well during the cold snap. ( three epipedobates tricolor and three dendrobates leucomelas)The terrarium is well planted and I'm debating more frogs. my big question is.... are there any arboreal snakes that would do well in a humid densely planted vivarium? I was wondering about bromeliad boas in particular.
thanks for any input :)
herpseeker1978

Re: power outage

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I know our zoo here kept eyelash vipers with their dart frogs, don't know if you're into venomous...

Josh
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Josh!! I would love to return to venomous, state laws say no though. :( I was thinking a snake would be easier to remove and keep warm. In years past I had a woodstove for household heat and this was never an issue.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I came home a few weeks ago to the front storm door being in the yard, no power and a scared dog that pissed on my bed...

I had to bag the snakes up, put them in a large cooler and put hand warmers in it. What a night.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Power outages in winter are a big deal. (Same can be said for summer, but I won't go there, here.)

Backup/contingency planning is important. While safety concerns (e.g. death by CO) are real, and still a little unresolved or controversial, ventless propane and natural gas heaters are available and not really that expensive. Besides keeping your herps (and maybe fish, and maybe orchids, parrots, etc etc) alive, they could also help keep you and your family comfortable. And keep your pipes from freezing etc - "side benefits".

Just trying to offer some hope & ideas. Don't wait until the lights are out and the snow is halfway up the door to think about this. Take care of you & yours.

Cheers,
Jimi