Rubber Boas?

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Lucas Basulto

Rubber Boas?

Post by Lucas Basulto »

Hey All, I am just curious about if anyone here keeps or breeds rubber boas or knows of anyone who does? I have been trying to acquire one for about 2 years now for an educational program for the Bureau of Land Management, hounding the kingsnake and fauna classifieds to no avail...I am trying to avoid collecting one at all costs. If any can help at all I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

L
regalringneck

Re: Rubber Boas?

Post by regalringneck »

... sounds like you need to get a hold of the Hoyers; http://www.rubberboas.com/
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Hey Luke,
I may be able to get you a cb. We So Cal herp Ed talk guys use NRB to show what SRB would look like (only smaller) to let folks know not to touch/collect them.

That said... the positive utility gained for the species at large far exceeds the negative utility associated with removing one boa from the wild. Also... check with F&G and local Animal Control... when they get them in, they euthanize herps rather than re-releasing them. You should be able to get a 'salvage permit' for educational purposes... :thumb: jim
Lucas Basulto

Post by Lucas Basulto »

regalringneck wrote:... sounds like you need to get a hold of the Hoyers; http://www.rubberboas.com/
Thank you!
hellihooks wrote:Hey Luke,
I may be able to get you a cb. We So Cal herp Ed talk guys use NRB to show what SRB would look like (only smaller) to let folks know not to touch/collect them.

That said... the positive utility gained for the species at large far exceeds the negative utility associated with removing one boa from the wild. Also... check with F&G and local Animal Control... when they get them in, they euthanize herps rather than re-releasing them. You should be able to get a 'salvage permit' for educational purposes... :thumb: jim
If you could get me a CB that would be ideal and I would be extraordinarily grateful! Yes, you are right about the positive educational benefits of taking one individual from the wild, I would just like to avoid possible flack from some people since the snake will be used in a government education program. We are supposed to promote sustainability in every possible way during these classes otherwise you know I would have grabbed myself one already! Just taking necessary precautions! :lol:

I will definitely look into the salvage permit as well! Thanks!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

They are around... Here are a few 2012 babies (I produced 6 this year). Might sell some off in March... If you have not found a local source by March contact me ([email protected]). Free for education if you pay shipping (~$50-80).

Here are a couple adults...

-Chris
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

One of those is mine Chris.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Just testing my 'gestalt ID' function here Chris... Sierra's rather than 'Coastal'? ;) jim
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Those are looking good, Chris! Glad they've done well for you! I only produced a few this year, but they were big, fatties.

-Cole
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

psyon wrote:One of those is mine Chris.
Good to know! ;) Remind me in Feb. or early March.

Cole Grover wrote:Those are looking good, Chris! Glad they've done well for you! I only produced a few this year, but they were big, fatties.

-Cole
Thanks Cole! I was pretty excited to finally get rubber boa babies. One took to eating f/t pinky mice right away. All are hibernating currently.

-Chris
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Chris,

Yeah, cooling them for a few months works wonders if they won't eat right off the bat. They come out prepared for winter, so sometimes it's best to let Nature take over.

-Cole
Lucas Basulto

Post by Lucas Basulto »

Chris Smith wrote:They are around... Here are a few 2012 babies (I produced 6 this year). Might sell some off in March... If you have not found a local source by March contact me ([email protected]). Free for education if you pay shipping (~$50-80).
AWESOME!! I would definitely like one! I seen one for sale on Faunaclassifieds but for $350! This boa WILL be used for education and Jim (hellihooks) can vouch for that! I would be forever grateful if you would hold one for me! :thumb:

Thank you Chris!

Lucas
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Lucas has just accepted his nomination for Nor Cal Regional Ed Spec (as per the 'growth paradigm'... Ca will again have 8 officers!) and I have known him, and worked with him doing herp lectures and Nafha Ed, since about 09. Nafha is lucky to have him as a member... :thumb: jim
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Not to step on Chris's toes here, but I keep a colony of Rubber boa, and I've got one or a pair of feeding neonates, I would be willing to let go right now.

Price $100.00 each, plus shipping.

-Dell
dery

Post by dery »

northern or southern rubber??
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

dery wrote:northern or southern rubber??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dery

Post by dery »

Thanks Cole.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

dery wrote:Thanks Cole.
Sorry- I read your post as sarcasm, considering the history of field herpers and umbricata around these
Parts. Wasn't trying to be a dick.

Cole
dery

Post by dery »

Cole Grover wrote:
dery wrote:Thanks Cole.
Sorry- I read your post as sarcasm, considering the history of field herpers and umbricata around these
Parts. Wasn't trying to be a dick.

Cole
Cole, I was saying thanks. :lol: Didn't think you were. I wasn't being sarcastic, But was pleased someone thought is was funny. :beer:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

No worries Dell. I highly recommend your animals (given that several of my animals were purchased from you!). :thumb:

Great little snakes!

-Chris