The History of the term LECH... Looking for answers

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Oh Brother

Re: The History of the term LECH... Looking for answers

Post by Oh Brother » June 30th, 2010, 1:02 pm

I'm proud to be a S.L.O.B.
Searcher of Legendary Beasts

(of course that should be SOLB, but I never claimed to be entelajent)

Oh Brother

Jaffo

Post by Jaffo » August 25th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Just wanted to say hello to all you LECHs. :beer: Cheers, bitches! :thumb:

(missed y'all too!)

gbin

Post by gbin » August 25th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Fun is fun, but that whole LECH thing is one of the most foolishly divisive things I've ever seen arise in the herping community. I recommend dropping both the term and this thread about it, once and for all.

Gerry

Jaffo

Post by Jaffo » August 25th, 2011, 3:13 pm

gbin wrote:Fun is fun, but that whole LECH thing is one of the most foolishly divisive things I've ever seen arise in the herping community. I recommend dropping both the term and this thread about it, once and for all.

Gerry

Hahahaha! Fine with me. My post here was just to say hello to a bunch of guys I remember from the KS days.

And Gerry, I remember you had to be around for those days... If this is going to be the end of this thread, I at least want to throw my 2 cents in... when the term originated in 2001-2002 or so, Marty Feldner and a I and few other buddies utilized the term as affectionate ribbing to our Eastern counterparts and peers with whom we got along quite winningly and fully respected. It was never meant to be, or used in a malicious or derogatory manner, and was all in fun. So I don't know if anyone should get too bent out of shape over such a silly term with a silly background. Whoever originally coined LECH, I was there when its use began, and when it was tossed around with heavy doses of good-natured smirks and a ton of LOLing.

If I ever hurt anyone's feelings using this term, I apologize and will give you a hug or buy you a beer, or both, the next time we hang out. Peace.

gbin

Post by gbin » August 25th, 2011, 3:27 pm

I understand that, Jaf, I really do. I think most folks do, wherever they live. But over the years since, a number of people have used the term much less affectionately, and of course on the other side a number of people have displayed astonishingly thin skin, and so the term has become quite tainted.

And don't worry, your part in its history is definitely remembered. Did you not notice that your name came up here and there in this thread? (Hey, it's only 150+ posts to go through... ;) )

Gerry

Jaffo

Post by Jaffo » August 25th, 2011, 4:01 pm

gbin wrote:I understand that, Jaf, I really do. I think most folks do, wherever they live. But over the years since, a number of people have used the term much less affectionately, and of course on the other side a number of people have displayed astonishingly thin skin, and so the term has become quite tainted.

And don't worry, your part in its history is definitely remembered. Did you not notice that your name came up here and there in this thread? (Hey, it's only 150+ posts to go through... ;) )

Gerry
Of course. This is why I popped in to say hi. :)

brick911

Post by brick911 » August 26th, 2011, 5:02 am

I've always enjoyed and embraced the term, but I wasn't online in any herping community forums when it originated. That's kinda why I started the thread in the first place.

gbin

Post by gbin » August 26th, 2011, 5:23 am

I know, brick, and I apologize to you for my repeated efforts to kill both your thread and the term it's about - but I'm sure you know as well as I do that it's become a very divisive term for a lot of herpers these days. Unfortunately, sometimes such things happen...

Gerry

justinm

Post by justinm » August 26th, 2011, 7:34 am

I like being a LECH, and an Infidel, and a Father and a lot of other divisive labels.

Most of the guys who used the term pejoratively don't post anymore because all their animals are too secret, too special, they're too cool. The forum is full of lame not cool animals etc. So piss on them, I'm not missing them. Everyone else is just happy to be a herper and a little ribbing is always fun in good company. They know who they are and I'm sure they read the forum from their secret lairs so that no one will ever know where they find all the "cool" snakes. I'm just glad that they aren't here anymore to tell all of us how lame we are, it was getting old.

gbin

Post by gbin » August 26th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Case in point... ;)

Gerry

Fundad

Post by Fundad » September 2nd, 2011, 12:58 pm

Posted by Brian Hubbs on December 28, 1999 at 12:13:57:

3 Uta's on a rock in my ex-mother in laws yard, 1 sweater, 1 picture of my son, Several Golden Age comic books from Santa and a lot of other stuff we won't get into now. Happy Y2k- Mitch, filthy, billy, Matt, Troy, John, Rick, Robert P., Rich G., and all you lame east coast herpers who can't collect your way out of paper bags (oh ya, you too Scott Eiper). Just kiddin' Don't shoot me.

Looks like it was Hubbs.

Fundad

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » September 3rd, 2011, 3:32 am

Digging deeper into the post archives,
Posted by Abraham Lincoln April 14th, 1865, 6:58 p.m.

Weekend's here...can't wait to get out and buggy-cruise and show these lame east-coast herpers how we do it back on the Frontier.

. . .

Posted by Abraham Lincoln April 14th, 1865, 9:45 p.m.

Dammit! Mary dragged me to some play. Somebody shoot me.

Too soon?

brick911

Post by brick911 » September 6th, 2011, 9:08 am

Hilarious. :lol:

Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen » September 7th, 2011, 9:39 pm

chris_mcmartin wrote:Digging deeper into the post archives,
Posted by Abraham Lincoln April 14th, 1865, 6:58 p.m.

Weekend's here...can't wait to get out and buggy-cruise and show these lame east-coast herpers how we do it back on the Frontier.

. . .

Posted by Abraham Lincoln April 14th, 1865, 9:45 p.m.

Dammit! Mary dragged me to some play. Somebody shoot me.

Too soon?
Classic! :lol:

But, hey. Us LECHs have our own t-shirt now..

Don Cascabel

Post by Don Cascabel » March 24th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Holy shit! Did Jaffo really pop back up out of the woodwork after like 10 years just for a LECH post?!?!?!? Unbelievable.

Hey Jaffo! Welcome back!

Cheers,

Don Cascabel (Mr. Sonora back in those days)