It is currently October 20th, 2017, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gray Wolves in California
PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 3:25 am 

http://dfw.state.or.us/Wolves/population.asp

That's the 2014 activity map of Gray Wolves in the State of Oregon.

At the end of 2014 there were 77 confirmed Gray Wolves in the state, estimated that there likely were 90 to 95 actual wolves. They can't count every wolf as wolves that are not collared with a transmitter but are in the act of dispersal - even if they know some left a pack and are not accounted for, if they don't know where they are then they don't know their fate and they can't count them towards the 77 (they may be deceased or dispersed into Idaho, Washington, or California)

So it is estimated there are as many as 90 to 95 actual wolves in the state.

At least that's what I read on some blogs, not from ODFW itself.

-=-

OR-7 was the wolf that was confirmed to have dispersed into California, before heading back into Oregon where he found a beautiful bride and started a pack, the Rogue Pack - which I prefer to call the Rogue River pack.

He had pups last year and 3 of them are confirmed to recently still be with the pack, and it has recently been confirmed there are at least 2 pups this year. But he is no longer the most interesting wolf to Californians.

South of where OR-7 made his home with his bride but just north of the California Border is the Keno Unit - which I have it on good authority now has 3 adult wolves travelling together as a unit, with one male and one female that appear to be a pair.

When I asked how likely it was they were a pair, the response I got was 'almost certain' - which to me indicates they are exhibiting denning behavior, likely meaning there are pups this year in the Keno Unit.

I believe the technical definition of a pack is a group including a breeding pair and at least four wolves travelling together, so if they did have pups they will likely be designated the Keno Pack at the end of 2015. However my understanding is none of them collared so it may be difficult to confirm (if any of them are collared, it is hush hush).

But so close to California border, even though I suspect most of their time is currently spent in Oregon, I suspect that the Keno wolves do enter California, and that part of Siskiyou County is within the pack territory.

For me this is very exciting, very exciting indeed.

Other than OR-7 - the last confirmed wolf in California was killed in 1924. It's been 90 years since a wolf pack has been in this state, it is very exciting that there is one now that likely enters California - and given that three wolves that appear to be without collar showed up so close to the California border with OR-7 having been confirmed to have entered California, I highly suspect there are other dispersed lone wolves in California right now.

Probably not very many, I suspect OR-7 would still be in California if he had met up with a female here, but I suspect there probably are a few here now. Dispersal to SW Oregon from NE Oregon seems to be a somewhat common event.

And that is why the wolves in NE need continued protection. They are a source for the re-population of SW Oregon and Northern California, an important source that should not be tampered with.

Bark at the moon.

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 5:49 am 

Post subject: Re: Gray Wolves in California
PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 12:37 pm 

I say, bring them on... I'd also like to see the re-establishment of Wolves and Grizzly Bears in the high Sierra Nevada.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: August 10th, 2015, 9:04 pm 

Fieldnotes wrote:
I say, bring them on... I'd also like to see the re-establishment of Wolves and Grizzly Bears in the high Sierra Nevada.

I think California Grizzlies were more of a resident of the Oak Savannah in the valley than the Sierra's but I might be wrong.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2015, 11:48 pm 

And look - there they are!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/08/ ... alifornia/

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: December 28th, 2015, 10:39 am 

This is really good news. I am happy to hear that wolves are back in CA!

Post subject: RxR : Gray Wolves strike thru - jaguars in California : }
PostPosted: March 6th, 2016, 3:13 pm 

....we're going thru the same moshpit here in az w/ "mx wolves" as if a critter as far ranging as C. lupus is going to breed to the subspecific level ... jaja ... but heres the rub ... wolves evolved following large mobile plains ungulates; caribou/bison, possibly pronghorn. & caly & zony don't really don't have those prey base, beyond livestock so they take the cattle (good thang) & deer ... not so good ... what you californicators otta be furious about (as i am) ... is the ranchers & feds collaborating & extirpating OUR jaguars ... king of the n. american felines (& never a human fatality... cept when the aztecs fed em slaves) & they ranged throughout the mtns & chaparral of central & s. caly ... most of az too. All the way to florida! Push on your agencies about reintroducing Panthera & leave those magnum coyotes in canada/alaska/siberia where there are 1000's of em ... jags are critically endangered everywhere but the amazon basin & who has good data on that ??? Heres the 1'st step & draft in a long journey, one of you energetic saltamontes otta take it, twerk it abit & run it up the flagpole ... make yourself famous in conservation circles ... likely enjoy increased fitness too : }
Behold; the 1st ever reintroduction draft proposal that i am aware of ... finally in 2016 just before the hour glass for jags ran outta sand ...

John Gunn (insert your name here)

Re: Proposal to re-establish the Northern jaguar ( Panthera Onca) in the United States

PROJECT SUMMARY

To establish four self sustaining populations of jaguars totaling approximately 250 – 500 individuals in the SW USA, specifically Big Bend National Park (BBNP), Gila Wilderness National Forest ( GWNF), and the Coronado National Forest (CNF). ( add Cuyamaca Mtns here).
Jaguars will be propagated in captivity & soft released at approximately 1 year of age. All jaguars released will be radio collared & likely receive adverse human conditioning prior to release.
Four jaguar soft release (enclosure) facilities will need to be constructed, with 1 or more propagation facilities.

PURPOSE & NEED

Jaguars have historically filled the top mammalian carnivore niche in the American south & southwest. …. TB-Continued …

These US populations will then eventually serve to re-colonize Mexican habitats and populations as they are extirpated through time.

COOPERATORS

USFWS, NPS, USFS, 4 state wildlife agencies, Universities, Nature Conservancy, Safari club, … TB-continued …

Cheers, John Gunn

Grizzlys unfortunately are too damn dangerous for modern Homo., so dats not gonna happen.

http://www.livescience.com/53891-photos ... guars.html

PostPosted: March 9th, 2016, 10:21 am 

regalringneck,

There are studies that show cougar populations decline with the presence of wolves and wolf packs will often predate cougar cubs.