It is currently October 20th, 2017, 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Don't resurrect old posts in bulk, please
PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 12:09 am 

FloridaSerpent: you're new here, and you're bringing some good posts back, but you're also pushing down the new stuff that not all of us have seen yet. If you want to look at old stuff, look at it, don't resurrect it. Or at least, don't resurrect ALL of them at once :D . If you have questions, then PM the person who made the post. If all you want to do is say "hahaha" then do that in front of your computer :lol: . Thanks.

-Please delete this soon, and if my sentiment is not shared by others may I be thrown into a pit of cobras, Gene

Post subject: Re: Don't resurrect old posts in bulk, please
PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 3:09 am 

Why didn't you just pm FloridaSerpent then? Instead of make a public thread about it?

I'm not doing the pit of cobra thing but really man.

I feel I have the right to say something for as a new member I was dog piled on for my punctuation and spacing habits in typing, and phrasing tendencies. I was like, uh ok thanks but later thought hmm if the suggestions made were to "help me out" as said, why not pm me about it?

Cuz its Way more fun to take it to the playground that's why. At least cobras are sincere.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 7:02 am 

Quote:
Why didn't you just pm FloridaSerpent then? Instead of make a public thread about it?

Yes.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 8:27 am 

RealSnakeMan, are these your rules or the forum's? If they are the forum's, this is the first I'm hearing about them. Besides, if your concern is keeping up with new material, then that sounds like a personal problem. All it takes is visiting the forum once daily and clicking the "View New Posts" link. That's what I do, and you can do it, too!

(I have rather enjoyed reading the old posts that have popped up recently.)

~Bree

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 8:41 am 

As usual you guys (ladies) are right. I'll go find my cobras.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 11:14 am 

Don't mention it, Slugger :P

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 11:33 pm 

The Real Snake Man- Considering I am a new member, what a way to welcome me. I'm sorry if it bothers you but I was checking out posts from the past and I don't like to lurk. I thought the point of a forum is feedback anyways?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 12:10 pm 

I think everybody in this thread makes some good points - so to me you are all right in a sense.

1. It can be annoying to read a post that you think is new, only to discover that it is 2-4 years old. The OP may not be around anymore, or their inquiry has been sufficiently answered to the point they don't bother to keep it near the top. This annoyance only grows larger when old posts are brought to the top in high quantity.

2. If this bothers a person to the point of saying something, then sending a PM to the person is a good route to take. It keeps personal problems in a private setting. But, there are official forum rules and then socially accepted behaviors for forums in general. Some people may feel resurrecting old posts violates the social norms of internet forums. If you are unsure, then perhaps a general question of the sort can be posed to the forum audience, without singling anybody out.

3. While the point of the forum is to leave feedback, as mentioned in point 1, feedback left to a 4 year old thread may be useless to the OP. It may not be useless to other folks reading it provided the comment is insightful. It does bring to the forum's attention old posts, points and photographs, as well as memories. But, on the other hand, these posts are archived so anybody who wants a trip down memory lane can look at them at a time of their choosing.

4. FloridaSerpent - you are a new member and I think most of us (if not all) welcome you to the forum and wish you the best of luck in your herping. We can at times come across as rude or undiplomatic, but I think this is just a product of the nature of the community being careful about publicly displaying certain types of information and the fact that that this is an online setting. Voice tone and inflection are lost and so subtext can be hard to read.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 2:13 pm 

captainjack0000- I wasn't even aware that old posts were being resurrected until it was brought to my attention. I searched FL, and looked at old posts from FL. I am still in the process of checking those out. I wasn't trying to cause problems and don't take this the wrong way but I think it is mediocre and stupid if I am. I personally enjoy any feedback when I post something no matter how old it is. In fact the only reason I post something is to get feedback. Maybe I am alone in this. And I understand it can be annoying to see old stuff you have already seen, especially when that's all you see, so forgive me for not being perfect. But to comment on it publicly was unnecessary and just makes me look stupid.

So thanks for that The Real Snake Man. And even though you don't like some of my newbie mistakes and I don't like how you went about correcting me, I didn't come here to make enemies. You have been here a lot longer than I have, so I will respectfully try to limit my posts on old forums so they are at least not brought up in bulk. And I apologize if this has bothered you or anyone else.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 3:06 pm 

Despite what is often said, sometimes you can tell when someone's got a hardon against ya.

And there is a territorialism often in forums where the people who joined at earlier date seem to react to a later joining member as if they popped out of a pod like a DNA less alien.

There can be much kicking up the grass and spot pissing to try to test the new dogs level of fear. Often they succeed in scaring the interloper away.

But it doesn't always work.

Welcome, FloridaSerpent :thumb:

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 3:09 pm 

Quote:
I wasn't trying to cause problems and don't take this the wrong way but I think it is mediocre and stupid if I am.

I don't disagree with this.

Quote:
If you are unsure, then perhaps a general question of the sort can be posed to the forum audience, without singling anybody out.

This was meant to refer to people in the The Real Snake Man's situation. Upon a second read of my post, this may not have been clear.

Quote:
As usual you guys (ladies) are right.

I take this to be an apology, so perhaps we can move forward. I just thought this was an interesting debate about forum etiquette and thought several good points were raised.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 3:23 pm 

I think there is humor and truth anthropologically to these types of issues and that forums are an interesting grid of human behaviors.

We are funny primates with or without an actual physical presence.

I think its interesting.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 3:43 pm 

Kelly Mc wrote:
I think there is humor and truth anthropologically to these types of issues and that forums are an interesting grid of human behaviors.

We are funny primates with or without an actual physical presence.

I think its interesting.

I started off studying animal behavior in school. Eventually I learned the animal with the most interesting behavior was Homo sapiens. Now I study human-environment interactions (tourism, climate change, etc) - how Homo spaiens behave when not at home or at work. We're a really fun, weird, sad, and interesting species!

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 9:37 pm 

Thank you Kelly Mc. Both you and captainjack0000 have been nothing but kind and courteous to me. Same goes to few other members as well. And yes humans are funny animals that I observe often. But that is something I can go on and on about.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 5:50 pm 

Sorry I'm late to this post about not digging. Here's a post many (Including a oath of it by me) talked about wanting to dig up when we make the pilgrimage ourselves: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=230228#p230228

TheRealSnakeMan was certainly acting like a jerk. Although, the witch hunt on diggers happens to every FHF member early on as some sort of initiation. Jim carried out my initiation. But once you get to know him, he's a great guy. So don't be too critical of TheRealSnakeMan.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 10:05 pm 

I'm not one to take things personal. I don't think The Real Snake Man is a bad guy. I don't think he meant any harm it just seemed that way because the way it was handled.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 5:02 am 

In 2 years I'm gonna bring this back to the top.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 6:23 am 

I wrote this several years ago, for new members, and most folks think it's worth a read. the last paragraph says it all... welcome to the forum(s) jim
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9107

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 4:57 pm 

Finally took a look back at this post. I just wanted to say that while I stand by what I said, I should certainly have said it by PM. Funny how, at the time, that didn't occur to me. I really wasn't trying to be rude, and actually went to a certain length in the original post to try and sound like it wasn't a big deal, but that it was something you should avoid doing. Certainly bringing one post back every now and then isn't a bad thing. In short, I did indeed come off like a jerk, and I apologize and hope that y'all can forgive me for that.

Also, to Kelly Mc's statements, I don't really agree: I don't like picking on new members, I think all too often we're too rough on them. Really, Florida Serpent is one of the better new members if you ask me: he doesn't post pictures of himself tailing things or handling hots, he seems to have a healthy outlook on what herping is supposed to be from the get-go. I just wanted to bring what I thought was a Forum etiquette issue to the table, and I think my 18-year-old mind just let slip the fact that the most egregious etiquette violation was that I made my sentiments public to all of us here instead of keeping it between myself and Florida Serpent.

To Florida Serpent: I hope my carelessness doesn't drive you away from here.

Lastly, to Aaron: that's fine with me. The whole point was "in bulk". :)

-Gene

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 11:19 pm 

Real Snake Man, hey Im sorry too, and I really didn't mean You personally. I really mean it, I didn't.

Im sensititized to the pack instinct, not only because I have an affinity for the underdog but because its observable in an anthropological way.

I often take situations involving personal interactions and conceptualize them without realizing that the other people are taking it in as personal.

Im sorry I was brusque in my comment. I like Florida Serpent, knew he could stand up for himself just fine, but didn't think he had to stand alone.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 1:58 am 

No problem. :thumb:

-Gene

PostPosted: May 20th, 2015, 4:03 pm 

Gene, sometimes I think it would be cool if there were no usernames, like if there was a way for discussion forums to be pure Idea and Input exchange. That way people would respond to input alone, without influence of personified biases.

Sometimes it seems that peoples contention, indifference, or positive reception of a post is subjective on a social level. Especially when there is an Audience, as of course there is on a message board.

I have posted about subjects that I have received PMs about expressing interest or additional input of their own that is correlative, that would seem fitting for the thread but was sent privately instead of posted on the thread for others to read.

again it is interesting how people respond on forums

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 5:02 pm 

I think its funny how Gene resurrected his old post about not resurrecting old posts. :D

Kelly, while I think no usernames would be interesting, I would actually prefer we all used our real names as our usernames. I am me, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. 8-)

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: June 29th, 2015, 5:02 am 

captainjack0000 wrote:
I think its funny how Gene resurrected his old post about not resurrecting old posts. :D

Kelly, while I think no usernames would be interesting, I would actually prefer we all used our real names as our usernames. I am me, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. 8-)

You could probably change your username to your real name. I've considered it, since people who know me via Facebook may not know who I am on FHF, and vice versa.

- Andrea Howlett aka ZantiMissKnit

PostPosted: June 29th, 2015, 12:01 pm 

Yes, either none or real. I shortened mine for convenience.

I like the usernames, often they are interesting, funny or cool.

But even a section of non personalized exchange would be an interesting experiment. Maybe not here but just general I dunno.

- Kelly McDougall

PostPosted: June 30th, 2015, 7:58 pm 

Quote:
You could probably change your username to your real name

I was afraid that all of my old posts would go away, be harder to locate, etc if/when I did that. If I could just change it, and have all of the old cap'n jack's linked to the new name, I would go for it.

Profile WWW