It is currently October 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Herp-related tattoo ideas?
PostPosted: June 30th, 2014, 8:27 pm 

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of getting a herp-related tattoo but would like some ideas. Since different tattoo colors and locations tend to be better on different people, let me just say that I'm a white male lol. I want to get something really unique, so I was thinking maybe some type of caecilian since I've never seen a single person with a caecilian tattoo... but then again, I don't want most people's first reaction to my tattoo to be "omg what's that ugly thing on your arm?!" so maybe a caecilian wouldn't be the best choice even though I personally don't find them ugly. I was thinking coral snake but then I realized I'd feel unoriginal since Jeff Corwin has a Coral snake tattoo, and then I was thinking some crotalid, but I don't really want to be associated with the "don't tread on me" right-wing libertarians (no offense to anyone, it's just not my political outlook personally). Any suggestions for species that would look good as tattoos? The tattoo would likely be a small one on my shoulder or the side of my chest. I have a cousin who is a really talented tattoo artist who I'd be enlisting to get this tattoo, so intricate patterns aren't a problem. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Herp-related tattoo ideas?
PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 12:51 am 

You could get Scales - but lithograph style by an artist who's really good. Pick a species you like and have them duplicate the pattern, the keel if its a keeled guy, or the sheen. It could just be down your spine, in chevrons or blotches, diamonds or stripes - morphing from your skin.

There are alot of lizards too that have great scalation and body plates on the shoulder and upper forearm that are roughly correlative with human musculature, that would look baddass. Tegus have great scales in the right places, big and interesting, and very masculine as well as elegant.

If i was a guy and my arms were big, i would have one whole arm in Reticulated Python, with ventral scales going down the inside.

Or you could do something small and enigmatic like an incredible gecko or snake iris.

If I were you I would check out Hans and orionmystery's photos.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 9:27 am 

How about not getting a tattoo at all? If the whole original purpose of people between the ages of 18-40 wanting to adorn themselves with body art is to make themselves look unique and expressive, well, the concept has now turned into a cliche. Just like any other fashionable trend eventually does.
The only difference with this fashion trend is that if and when you grow tired of it, you just can't take it out of your closet and haul it down to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. Removal is a very painful and expensive process. Also, as you age, your skin loses elasticity and tone which causes the tattoo to become a blurry discolored mess. Have you ever seen an 80 year old person's body that is decorated with multiple tattoos? I have; and it's not pretty.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 10:04 am 

You have a point Klawnskale. I dont know why I dont have one yet. Ive come close though. I like to think them up. Band names too.

I can understand the urge.

The body mod thing though, piercing scads of times and giant hole earlobes, for those who arent actually fakirs, or Papuan priests, :roll:
Like a hundred dollar dread hairdo complete with the little sticks in the back on a Dutch guy.

People should really be careful with those big earlobe holes though, if they decide to get a square corporate job and stop wearing the things in them, the holes shrink up and look just like cat anuses. Its true.

But a good tattoo is cool. Ive never known anyone who regreted getting a well done animal oriented tattoo. huh.. you know, i really havent. :)

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 10:38 am 

People should really be careful with those big earlobe holes though, if they decide to get a square corporate job and stop wearing the things in them, the holes shrink up and look just like cat anuses. Its true.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 9:01 pm 

klawnskale wrote:
Have you ever seen an 80 year old person's body that is decorated with multiple tattoos? I have; and it's not pretty.

To be fair, have you ever seen an 80-year-old person's body that DID look pretty?

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 7:21 am 

cbernz wrote:
klawnskale wrote:
Have you ever seen an 80 year old person's body that is decorated with multiple tattoos? I have; and it's not pretty.

To be fair, have you ever seen an 80-year-old person's body that DID look pretty?

Although I am far from an octogenarian, what you are expressing is blatant ageism. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friend and as such another 80 year old may find someone of their age group highly attractive. And there might be individuals regardless of their age who can find beauty in an older person. There is no direct correlation between visual appeal and age other than what popular culture dictates to us as being attractive. In some cultures being older is highly desirable. What has been scientifically proven to be universally appealing amongst humans (at least so far) is facial symmetry.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 7:49 am 

This comment:
klawnskale wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

is kind of ironic considering these comments:
klawnskale wrote:

klawnskale wrote:
If the whole original purpose of people between the ages of 18-40 wanting to adorn themselves with body art is to make themselves look unique and expressive, well, the concept has now turned into a cliche[...] Also, as you age, your skin loses elasticity and tone which causes the tattoo to become a blurry discolored mess. Have you ever seen an 80 year old person's body that is decorated with multiple tattoos? I have; and it's not pretty.

What I was trying to say was that if someone's skin is saggy and wrinkly and tattooed, is it really the tattoo that turns people off, or is that just an excuse to point out how gross they think someone looks?

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:22 am 

cbernz wrote:
This comment:

What I was trying to say was that if someone's skin is saggy and wrinkly and tattooed, is it really the tattoo that turns people off, or is that just an excuse to point out how gross they think someone looks?

What do you think? I don't think tattoos are gross . Never said they were. It's just a fact of physics that they don't hold up well to aging skin . They don't seem to withstand the test of time as well as other art forms. I would like you to give me a report when you're 80 and a before and after picture of your tattoos when you first had them done and then in the future. Let's see how they look...Personally, I don't think I would appreciate the further discoloration of my own skin considering what it will have to endure with time.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:40 am 

Klawnskale, it seems we're talking past each other, which is fine because we're not really on topic anyway.

I don't have any tattoos, and don't plan on getting any, but if I were to get a herp-related one it would definitely be a salamander. Probably a Green.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 11:46 am 

Interesting topic, because Monday evening I saw a woman who was sporting a well done turtle tattoo. It looked like some sort of slider, but not a red eared turtle. It was accurate enough that I would have guessed it was a male due to the tail shape and long claws. I almost said something to the lady, but then remembered that I don't like talking to people in the grocery store checkout line. The tattoo looked like it was done years ago, but the features were still well defined.

It was placed between the shoulder blades and about 1.75 inches in diameter.

My buddy in Texas has a bad generic snake tattoo. He regrets it. He doesn't even like snakes, and was a kill them on sight person before I explained to him that is probably the reason his barn is over run with mice. He also has other tattoos, and regrets them. So I don't think it has anything to do with the snake. The snake tattoo looks python-ish, but has rattlesnake like fangs. It is curled around a naked woman holding a rose. He wears long sleeves now, all the time.

/don't have and don't want tattoos

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm 

Here is a page displaying samples of lizard tattoos showing different degrees of finish and styles;

http://www.zestyfashion.com/don't-miss- ... -meanings/

And here is a Pinterest page with snake tattoos:

http://www.pinterest.com/tattoodo/snake-tattoos/

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 12:40 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm actually not worried about what the tattoo will look like later in life that much, just because I want it to be relatively small, and also not in a location where everyone would see (unless I had my shirt on). And I'm confident that it will last, because I know my cousin, and he is a really good tattoo artist. I'm thinking maybe of getting like a 3D tattoo done in a similar style to this one: http://www.zestyfashion.com/dont-miss-3 ... liz-green/

I've narrowed it down to the following species: Yohanlossee salamander, Eastern narrow-mouthed toad, Black toad, Yarrow's spiny lizard, Crevice spiny lizard, San francisco garter snake, Arizona mountain kingsnake, Pygmy rattlesnake (red phase).

As you can see, I still have got quite a bit of narrowing down to do haha.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 2:04 pm 

I could go either way on the subject of tattooing (or other forms of body ornamentation). It's not for me personally and in general I think the unadorned body looks best, but I've also seen some beautiful ink and interesting piercings before. And the main thing about the argument "Think what it will look like when you're old!" is that it's age that is really the problem, not body art, and there isn't a whole lot anyone can ultimately do to avoid the ravages of age. (I worked in nursing homes in my youth and so saw plenty of old flesh. Some of it has a lot of character, to be sure, but none of it is what I'd call attractive.) Try to stay in as good shape as you can for as long as you can, I guess, and don't worry about what you can't do anything about.

You've some interesting ideas on your short list, sky. If it were me I'd avoid the rattlesnake, not because it isn't a cool species but because there are quite a number of folks out there with rattlesnakes tattooed on them for reasons that I wouldn't want to be associated with. That's my only thought that might be helpful to you.

Gerry

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 1:35 pm 

Quote:
How about not getting a tattoo at all? If the whole original purpose of people between the ages of 18-40 wanting to adorn themselves with body art is to make themselves look unique and expressive, well, the concept has now turned into a cliche. Just like any other fashionable trend eventually does.

I agree with Klawnscale. Tattoos no longer make you unique...mainstream is a far better term. Save your money and express yourself some creative way. Buy new tires for your truck and top off the tank with the money you saved while you're thinking.

Tim

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 6:32 pm 

Soooo, your saying that getting my head done to look like a box turtles carapace might not be the best idea???
Once again I find myself re-thinking priorities :?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 9:05 pm 

pete wrote:
Soooo, your saying that getting my head done to look like a box turtles carapace might not be the best idea???
Once again I find myself re-thinking priorities :?

if people are trying to dissuade you from getting that tattoo, I will set them strait. The universe demands a box turtle carapace helmet tattoo on your dome.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 1:56 am 

Thank you for the confirmation! It's gonna be badass,an all the other kids will be jealous!

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 5:08 am 

pete wrote:
Thank you for the confirmation! It's gonna be badass,an all the other kids will be jealous!

Imagine the headlines on a flyer: "The Human Bauri-the creature who will take you scrubs away" :lol: