Early Jan Tigers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pops

Early Jan Tigers

Post by pops »

These are some pix that I took on Long Island on 7 Jan 2012. I saw many redspotted newts, bullfrogs (mostly tadpoles but some active adults) 2 Tigers and a tigrinum egg mass. (the earliest I have ever seen tiger eggs on LI) Also I dipnetted a fish from shore that I did not recognize and later thought it might have been the threatened banded sunfish. I had to put a pix of my son and daughter from last year in Fort Pierce FL. Happy herp new year to all!-Dave
Gyri

Re: Early Jan Tigers

Post by Gyri »

Cool! Tigers remain a lifer for me. I looked at the pics before reading your text and thought "no freaking way is that Long Island..."
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Nice Dave!
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

Cool! I didn't realize Enneacanthus ranged that far north.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Also I dipnetted a fish from shore that I did not recognize and later thought it might have been the threatened banded sunfish.
But is it? I couldnt say one way or the other, but I do know other juvenile species of sunfish are also banded.
Jason B

Post by Jason B »

I just read blue spotted sunfish are up that way too but it sure looks like E. obesus to me. Enneacanthus have rounded tail fins and fewer dorsal fin spines than Lepomis but we can't really see those characters from your photo. Juvenile Lepomis are often banded but their heads are not as chunky as the fish you posted and the top of their head usually has a concave shape.