ID help on toad

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

cachoron

ID help on toad

Post by cachoron »

Hi Guys

I found a toad and need some help on ID. Of course it is from the agricultural valley (Yaqui) in south Sonora, MX. If you do not mind to follow my description and correct me please at any mistake. I never saw toad with so much attention on details

Because it has parotid glands== bufonidae
Parotid glands not extending below the level of the tympanum, and at least twice as long as broad

Now, and here is main key, I think that the interorbital cranial crests are well developed, conspicuosly united anteriorly. If this is true then it is an Anaxyrus cognatus..... otherwise I beleive it is an A. woodhousii Distribution good for both

Also, I noted an internal and external metatarsal tubercle black, because it has no light-colored bar across eyelids, it would be A. speciosus but, no good on distribution. Does all Anaxyrus have metatarsal tubercle????

here couple more details

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE
Fieldnotes

Re: ID help on toad

Post by Fieldnotes »

That is cognatus :thumb:
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Thanks a lot fieldnotes

It was thru last week rain when this one came out. I was surprise that on a very cold rain from a storm that came from the north, a toad would came out.... I have not see any other herp since
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I agree with A. cognatus but it is browner than the ones I usually see.

-Chris
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Chris Smith wrote:I agree with A. cognatus but it is browner than the ones I usually see.

-Chris
As well as all the pics I´ve seen. Also on PFG the ID bases on a light color around the black spots, which is not the case here.

I wonder if there is an adaptation color on this area: Lampropeltis getula nigrita is all black, the Masticophis flagelum cingulum as well. now A. cognatus.... might be a pattern

Thanks for your reply
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Chris Smith wrote:I agree with A. cognatus but it is browner than the ones I usually see.

-Chris

I know there is a joke some place here :mrgreen: :crazyeyes: