Is this for real?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MuayThaipan

Is this for real?

Post by MuayThaipan »

Seen this on FaceBook, there's no way right? Wow.
azatrox

Re: Is this for real?

Post by azatrox »

That photo is SO photoshopped! LOL

Look @ the arm that's cradling the gecko....

It must be amateur hour in computer class!

-Kris
ritt

Post by ritt »

No...if it was real the Tokay would be latched onto the guy's face...and a fraction of that size (something like 30 cm / 12 inches total length). So yeah, that would be photo-shopped. No known geckos (extant or extinct) get that large.
MuayThaipan

Post by MuayThaipan »

I didn't think that was possible geckos aren't my thing, but if Tokays really go that big I'd have them roaming my yard like a pack of wolves. I bet a Tokay that size would kick a Komodos ass with pure evil intent alone. How popular would they be in the pet trade? LOL. There would be several Tokay related maulings a year.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

I love it.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

just think of all the loose, roaming or feral domestic cats they could eat!
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

I saw that on FB and yes, it's a really dodgy Photoshop job. Shadows under the gecko's head and tail go in a different direction from the shadow under the guy's hand, the guy's left hand, cradling the gecko, just 'disappears' and the gecko itself is on several different planes (the curve of its tail is forward of the guy's left leg, while the tip of its tail is flush with both the guy's right thigh and his stomach - even the world's top yoga master can't fold their body that flat).
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

HA HA HA HA. I want one :P
I think it is a photo-chop job...????

Dave
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

My wife once photoshopped a picture of my monitor on top of Palo Duro Canyon, like osmething out of a 1950s sci fi flick. It looked more real than this :p
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

This may be real. I've heard several reports of Tokay, or a closely related species, getting this large. I even read a paper about over-sized specimens being seen on small islands within the range.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Mike VanValen wrote:This may be real. I've heard several reports of Tokay, or a closely related species, getting this large. I even read a paper about over-sized specimens being seen on small islands within the range.

Did you hear about the Bigfoot that was seen riding a unicorn? Mike, just not funny enough for this thread sorry.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

A tokay that big would be a frightening thing to hold (and behold).

CHOMP!
robbielab

Post by robbielab »

I'm really not sure... I have heard several reports of monster tokays recently - even got to photograph one of them in Thailand a few years ago...

I know that it is a child in the picture, so it makes the gecko look even bigger, but still - it was one of the biggest tokays I've ever seen.

(Before anyone says it, yes I did have a spare 30 minutes this evening with not much to do!)

:beer:
Robbie
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

ritt wrote:No...if it was real the Tokay would be latched onto the guy's face...and a fraction of that size (something like 30 cm / 12 inches total length). So yeah, that would be photo-shopped.
I'd push it up a little - I've seen them close to 40cm total length. Still not nearly as big as the one in the picture.

ritt wrote:No known geckos (extant or extinct) get that large.
Mike VanValen wrote:This may be real. I've heard several reports of Tokay, or a closely related species, getting this large. I even read a paper about over-sized specimens being seen on small islands within the range.
What Mike might be referring to is the Kawekaweau of New Zealand, or Delcourt's Giant Gecko. It was over two feet long in total length, with a snout-vent length of 15 inches. It probably went extinct a hundred years ago though.

New Caledonian Giant Geckos have pretty massive bodies (quite a bit bigger than Tokays from what I understand), but short stubby tails.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

Oh my God, as soon as Animal Planet gets a whiff of this, I can see a whole new glut of crappy shows about the impending doom from maneating geckos. Not to mention Geico stock plumetting as the poor citizenry gets wind of the disaster that's coming to the world.

Kill the Geckos!!! Do it now!!! Save the world!!!
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

Check out this video. At the end the gecko goes crazy and attacks the camera man. They managed to wrestle it back into its restraints, but the camera man did not survive.

http://www.herpnation.com/herp-nation-l ... nley-park/

Dan
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

And who can forget the killer that attacked the Dallas News guy?

Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Daryl was younger in that clip!
cayrip

Post by cayrip »

BillMcGighan wrote:And who can forget the killer that attacked the Dallas News guy?

I never thought I would heard "What the F*&" out of a newsanchor. This brought me to tears.

Cameron
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Here is a longer clip:

Josh
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

They got most of the shadowing correct, but then forgot the shadows on the cradling hand. The flash would have darkened almost all of it.
condyle

Post by condyle »

I wish it was! :cry:
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

jonathan wrote:
What Mike might be referring to is the Kawekaweau of New Zealand, or Delcourt's Giant Gecko. It was over two feet long in total length, with a snout-vent length of 15 inches. It probably went extinct a hundred years ago though.

New Caledonian Giant Geckos have pretty massive bodies (quite a bit bigger than Tokays from what I understand), but short stubby tails.
Lol, nah. I was just having a little fun, but Justin ruined it!