Milksnake Hibernaculum

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

SoutheastColorado

Re: Milksnake Hibernaculum

Post by SoutheastColorado »

I guess the person that just posted didn't read that the snakes scattered. Trust me I would have loved to have gotten that in situ shot!

I also want to add that milk snakes feel good in the hand, and my touching them will have no impact on their millions of years worth of adaptation skills. :)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You might have made them feel good too! Now they'll be seeking human companionship, and we can only hope they encounter someone like you!
:beer:
SoutheastColorado

You are so kind! They are going to hibernate perfectly and be ready to breed in the spring too!
SoutheastColorado

Brian,

That milk is gorgeous. Is that a cochise local milk?
William
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

SoutheastColorado wrote:There was cow scat all around the area and I am willing to bet they have come into contact with milksnakes and disturb them
The milksnakes will have the last laugh as they slither up the cow's legs, latch on to their udders, and suck them dry. :crazyeyes:
SoutheastColorado

I could not agree more Daryl!
Scott_Wahlberg

Post by Scott_Wahlberg »

Pretty cool, william! Tim told me how hard you've worked for those Colorado L. triangulum so congratulations. Somtimes there just isn't an opportunity for the insitu shots! Good job.

-Scott
SoutheastColorado

Thanks Scott! I have never had much of a problem locating the ones in northern Colorado, but SE Colorado can be a trick. You pretty much have to cruise them at night and it appears to be random when they do show up. Man we gotta get together, maybe in the spring?
Good to hear from you,
William
ugh

Post by ugh »

reptilist wrote:I look at that picture of a handful of snakes pulled from the mouth of a hibernaculum and I can't help but realize that this fellow totally missed the recent conversations about taking in-situ wildlife photos.
He's probably the nicest guy in the world, but totally missed the relevant discussions pertaining to the holistic hands off approach..
Haha unfortunately, I'd bet good money that he may not have missed it...DOH! :roll:

Hey should we start a 'holier than thou forum',lol ;)
MattI

Post by MattI »

Retes wrote: Do you want to kill or possibly kill individual snakes, because you WANT to hold them?????
Retes wrote: And it could be fatal considering those snakes will most likely head somewhere else. Lets just hope that somewhere else can get them thought snow which is coming anyday to that area.
Retes:

I'm glad you're concerned about the well-being of those animals. I don't know you or the guy who posted this great observation, but I'm sure the guy didn't want to kill the snakes and I can't really see how he could have done any harm. I just don't understand how you can make these claims. There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that picking up a few gentilis for a photo will have any lasting effect let alone cause them to abandon the area.

William:

Thanks for posting your great observation.
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

William

Just saw this, GREAT stuff!! Congrats! Thanks for posting and it's a shame that some have ruined this forum with negativity. That is one of the reasons I don't mingle here much.

Matt
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Great find! :thumb:

You came across something very unusual, something many will never encounter.

Thanks for posting!

Gary
SoutheastColorado

Thanks for the kind comments guys! It was a noteworthy find for sure!
William