Panamanian Poison Frog Research '09 - Pic Intensive

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MonarchzMan

Panamanian Poison Frog Research '09 - Pic Intensive

Post by MonarchzMan »

I did my masters on the Strawberry Poison Dart Frog (Oophaga pumilio) in Bocas del Toro, Panama summers '09 and '10. I got the opportunity to go down in 2007 to see the system and start some research on the frogs, and while there, I decided that I wanted to look deeper into what goes on with the polymorphy seen in these frogs. After some refinement, I actually incorporated an aspect of polymorphy of these frogs into my research, but I really was interested the basic ecology of the species, which seems to be lacking since most people are interested in the evolution of polymorphism. I came from a different angle, wanting to know how knowledge of basic ecology could be used to aid in the recovery of populations at risk. The big thing to come out of my thesis was a relatively cheap method of using large straws to act as bromeliads, which the frogs would use to rear tadpoles. Basically, where I put straws, the population doubled over the course of a year. I'm in the process of writing all of this up, but it has some big implications for conservation of the populations (and other small dart frog species that use bromeliads for rearing sites).

Here are some pictures of the research:

One of the experimental quadrats

Me filling up the straws. This plan was quickly abandoned for a better, more efficient plan: "We're in the rainforest, let the rain fill up the blasted straws." There were 250 straws per quadrat and 9 quadrats that contained straws...

One of the "straw trees" in one of the quadrats. The idea was to inundate the area with rearing sites.

I apparently dropped my camera bag right in the middle of the territory of this Colostethus talamancae. It was not shy about hopping across my stuff.

The big experiment: using straws as bromeliads (if you look closely, you can actually see 2 infertile eggs and a tadpole in this one)

Close up of a tadpole in one of the straws

Anyway, while down there, I managed to see most of the well known populations and a few of the more secret ones. Here are some of my favorite pictures of these frogs. All of these are the same species (Oophaga pumilio), just from different islands or mainland areas in the Bocas del Toro region:

Escudo de Veraguas

Pastores

Sister island to Pastores, Pelican Key

Valiente Peninsula

Cayo de Agua

Solarte

Loma Partida

Aguacate Peninsula (Last one is transporting a tadpole)

Popa North

Popa South

Nicki

Isla Colon - La Gruta

Isla Colon - Boca del Drago

Dolphin Bay (all of these came from the same population and could be found intermingling)

Bastimentos - Cemetery (another population where it's highly variable within the population)

Bastimentos - Tranquilo Bay

Bastimentos - Salt Creek

Robalo River (a population likely that will not last much longer; we only found two frogs)

Almirante

San Cristobal

Uyama River (probably one of my favorite populations)

These are really just a few of the pictures of pumilio that I have. I have got hundreds of them now. I just need to figure out what to do with them. Maybe make a poster...

I did see a large number of other herps, too, while spending the summer in Panama. Here are a few of the others we found.

Phyllobates lugubris (this one is from Escudo de Veraguas)

Ranitomeya claudiae (a Mullerian mimic of P. lugubris; also the smallest dart frog at 12-13mm long)

Juvenile P. lugubris (left) and adult R. claudiae. The only reliable way to tell the difference between young lugubris and adult claudiae is to look at their throats. The blue reticulation will continue through the throat in R. claudiae, but not in P. lugubris.

Otherwise, they're basically identical.

Green and Black Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates auratus)

Talamancan Rocket Frog (Colosthethus talamancae; although I guess it's now Allobates?)

Colostethus flotator (or I guess Silverstonia now)

Helmeted Lizard (Corytophanes cristatus)

Juvenile American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus)

Hourglass Tree Frog (Dendropsophus ebraccatus)

Tungara Frog (Engystomops pustulosus)

Blunt-Headed Tree Snake (Imantodes cenchoa)

Fer-de-Lance (Bothrops asper); I found two young Bothrops in my quadrats. Not a pleasant sight when you're on hands and knees chasing frogs...

Bolitoglossa schizodactyla - my first Neotropical salamander, and one that took passing around to several experts before they decided it was this species.

Boa constrictor. My first one despite nearly half a dozen trips to the tropics prior to this...

Brown Vine Snake (Oxybelis aeneus) in the rare "Mouth Closed" pose

Red-Eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas)

Norops biporcatus

I stayed at the Smithsonian station on Isla Colon, which had a "moat" of sorts complete with Caiman (Caiman crocodylus) that occasionally wandered too far from the water source...

I'm sad I won't be continuing work on pumilio for my PhD, but I'll be switching over to the Dyeing Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates tinctorius), which is another highly polymorphic species. I look forward to being able to work in South America and see a whole new set of herpetofauna!
John Williams

Re: Panamanian Poison Frog Research '09 - Pic Intensive

Post by John Williams »

Amazing post. Extremely interesting research with top notch photos- it really doesn't get any better. I wonder now if all the dart frog breeders are going to start using straws instead of film canisters? Too cool.

John
Warren

Post by Warren »

i concur
condyle

Post by condyle »

FANTATIC POST!!!
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Beautiful photographs and amazing diversity of pumilio. I've only had the opportunity to see them on Bastimentos and San Cristobal, but this post really makes me wish I had more time to explore Bocas. One of these trips maybe.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading about your PhD work when you have enough to share.

Chris
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Great post, fantastic shots, and awesome work! I had no idea pumilio had such a huge variability! Thanks a lot for sharing and for all of the info!
DCooper

Post by DCooper »

Can never have enough dart frog posts. I was always fascinated with them when I was younger and this post really brought that back. Thanks for sharing.
Msteffen

Post by Msteffen »

interesting. So do you think populations are limited by tadpole rearing sites? Any idea if it benefits only the best male or do all males get a better chance of breeding?

Mike
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I only looked at the Isla Colon population, which does appear to be rearing site limited. Mo Donnelly did some similar work in 1989 at La Selva, and found similar results (large reactions to rearing site addition). I would guess the species, as a whole, is probably rearing site limited, although, it may require different rearing sites. Isla Colon is more arboreal than many populations. I set up a rather small transect in Nicaragua (which is a larger and fatter population) last year and had a field assistant check it out this year, and he didn't see any of them occupied. It could be because so few were put up relative to what I did in Panama, but I suspect that it was in part because the population was more terrestrial and too fat to use the straws. The Isla Colon frogs are ~18mm SVL, and they had a tight fit in the straws:

In respect to benefit of males, I suspect that territories of males probably shrunk so that they don't have such a wide area to defend. But I really don't have any data to support that. It would be interesting to determine parentage of the tadpoles using the straws. I would like to do that in the future in regards to vertical habitat use of the species, but that will probably sit on the shelf for a bit.

It could actually affect selection of the species (since females choose the male best able to defend its territory; so a greater quality habitat could relax selection). Another interesting to look at!
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

Best post. Pretty much since ever.
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Great post, and thanks. I'm putting big straws in my dart frog tank first chance I get. :idea:

Is it me or have there been a number of great post being posted in the last few weeks? Love it.

-Dell
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Awesome collection of pictures!! :thumb:
Taylor Henry

Post by Taylor Henry »

That was a fantastic series of photos. Thank you for sharing.
teter247

Post by teter247 »

Extremelly cool idea!! Fantastic photos as well.
It could actually affect selection of the species (since females choose the male best able to defend its territory; so a greater quality habitat could relax selection). Another interesting to look at
I wondered this myself, but I know virtually nothing about their ecology. Do males typically defend a single bromeliad? Or would it actually increase the reproductive success of males capable of defending multiple "bromeliads" in a single area?

TH
Jeremiah_Easter

Post by Jeremiah_Easter »

Amazing stuff, I had no idea they were that polymorphic. I'd like to see some of this in Herp Nation Magazine.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

teter247 wrote:I wondered this myself, but I know virtually nothing about their ecology. Do males typically defend a single bromeliad? Or would it actually increase the reproductive success of males capable of defending multiple "bromeliads" in a single area?

TH
Typically, males will defend a small territory (couple square meters) which can cover several bromeliads. Some bromeliad groups can have a dozen or more plants, and one male would likely defend that. I don't know that it would increase reproductive success of any given individual, but may increase reproductive success of less competitive males since there will be territory that the dominant males simply will not be able to cover.

Jeremiah, I'd be happy to do something for Herp Nation. I just got the well known or relatively easy accessible spots. There are probably well over a dozen more different, distinct populations in more remote areas, just in Panama. There is some variation in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, but relatively little, comparatively. They're easily one of the most polymorphic vertebrates out there.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

gah I'd love to come down and "help" (in quotes because i know jack about the tropics and would probably be a hinderance...but DAMN!). That looks like a fascinating project!
pituophian

Post by pituophian »

That is pretty cool, another student in our lab did a similar experiment on the Pacific coast of CR using different sized artificial pools to look at auratus and granulifera tadpole competition. Should be coming out pretty soon, but can't remember which journal he submitted it to. I am sure he would be interested in talking to you about your research. PM me and I can give you his email. Oh, and that is actually Anolis biporcatus.

Ian
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Yea, that would be great to get contact info on that paper (I'll be looking forward to reading it).

And Anolis... Taxonomists drive me nuts. Once I have these species down, they like to switch them all up again! Look me long enough to deal with the dart frogs!
pete

Post by pete »

Beautiful frogs, great reading!!

wonderful post sir! :thumb:
chrish

Post by chrish »

I love that Tungara shot. Very nice photos all round and interesting project.

Couldn't you use small ID pvc pipes for the fat, terrestrial pops?

I also second Jeremiah's suggestion - this would make a great write up for Herp Nation magazine.
These are really just a few of the pictures of pumilio that I have. I have got hundreds of them now. I just need to figure out what to do with them. Maybe make a poster...
or why not a two page spread, color centerfold in Herp Nation magazine of geographic variation in pumilio?
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Well, that was rather amazing. That frog is sorta the alterna of the frog world, no? I shall probably go back through these photos many times - both the subjects and the photography are outstanding! And I hope you are wrong about the Robalo population. :cry: Congrats on an outstanding study!!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Hands Down the most beautiful frogs and frog pictures I have EVER seen posted on FHF.. :beer: :thumb:

Awesome
Fundad
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

chrish wrote:I love that Tungara shot. Very nice photos all round and interesting project.

Couldn't you use small ID pvc pipes for the fat, terrestrial pops?
I bet you could, but, at least for this project, you can't beat the price of the straws. I got 4500 straws for $70.
or why not a two page spread, color centerfold in Herp Nation magazine of geographic variation in pumilio?
Working on it ;)
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Great post! It really makes me miss the islands and the constant calling of pumillio (at the more remote places). Was one of your boat drivers Erwin by any chance? I know the 'Nicky' population was named by him for his daughter.

Did you come across any other snakes that didn't make it into the post? Porthidium or Micrurus?

Jon
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Wow! You know those 'Epic' posts we all talk about? This is one of 'em! Fantastic stuff, all around. Your photography, subjects, and content are top-notch. Please feel free to share more! ;)

-Cole
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Jon Wedow wrote:Great post! It really makes me miss the islands and the constant calling of pumillio (at the more remote places). Was one of your boat drivers Erwin by any chance? I know the 'Nicky' population was named by him for his daughter.

Did you come across any other snakes that didn't make it into the post? Porthidium or Micrurus?

Jon
I did meet up with Erwin (he did show me the Nicky population), although he wasn't the main boat driver I used. I mostly used boat drivers from the Smithsonian station.

I didn't see any Porthidium or Micrurus while in the islands. I've only ever seen Porthidium in Costa Rica, and I've never, despite nearly a dozen trips to the tropics, seen a Micrurus. I'm jinxed when it comes to coral snakes :x
pituophian

Post by pituophian »

Sorry, we work with Anolis in our lab so I had to throw that in. Norops will probably eventually be a legit clade, but the remaining clades have not been worked out, so until then, Anolis is the genus for all anoles. Sorry to be nitpicky. The paper should be out in December.

Ian
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

pituophian wrote:Sorry, we work with Anolis in our lab so I had to throw that in. Norops will probably eventually be a legit clade, but the remaining clades have not been worked out, so until then, Anolis is the genus for all anoles. Sorry to be nitpicky. The paper should be out in December.

Ian
No worries. I understand it. The constant changes in taxonomy are just annoying. Especially dealing with tropical clades. I got most of the Costa Rican/Panamanian herps down in 2008, just before they all got completely reorganized. Bufo is still bufo to me :)
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Wow. Not much to say that hasn't been said already, although as you say it's interesting to speculate what impact increasing the nest site availability of a nest site limited species might have on other species they interact with.

Absolutely stunning photography BTW, knowing what it's like dealing with the logistics of photography in warm, damp (and frequently soaking) conditions, I can only marvel in wonder when I see shots like this from the field.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

What a fantastic post. Those frog pix are among the best I've ever seen.

Hans, gobsmacked
Rags

Post by Rags »

I can only add my congratulations to all of the other comments. Interesting research and superb photos. The San Cristobal frogs are real stunners. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

How about putting together a field guide which just concentrates on the frogs of the islands. For herpers visiting the area it would be really useful.

I am interested to know if you encountered any illegal collection of the frogs whilst you were out there. We were certain a German couple who we kept bumping into were scooping up the odd frog and placing them in plastic cups. Even though we confronted the couple after seeing them acting suspiciously at Hospital Point it seemed fairly futile, there was little in the way of local enforcement.
We were also told that the amphibians at 'Red Frog beach' had been 'over collected' and were now scarce. I am unsure if this is at the hands of the locals or international collectors. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rags.
HerperChance

Post by HerperChance »

Awesome Post, that is a very interesting project! And the photos are great!
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Rags wrote:How about putting together a field guide which just concentrates on the frogs of the islands. For herpers visiting the area it would be really useful.
I've thought about that, and it still may be in the works. I am just concerned because of your second point. There would be certain risk to publishing a book with information on locales of these frogs precisely for the second point you bring up.

But, I have toyed with the idea of putting a book together of herps of the archipelago, which, if given the time, may still happen.
I am interested to know if you encountered any illegal collection of the frogs whilst you were out there. We were certain a German couple who we kept bumping into were scooping up the odd frog and placing them in plastic cups. Even though we confronted the couple after seeing them acting suspiciously at Hospital Point it seemed fairly futile, there was little in the way of local enforcement.
We were also told that the amphibians at 'Red Frog beach' had been 'over collected' and were now scarce. I am unsure if this is at the hands of the locals or international collectors. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rags.
I didn't see any illegal collection, but in talking with some of the locals, it sounds like people will regularly visit to collect frogs, legally or otherwise.

It's funny that you mention Hospital Point; that whole point is actually private property, and off limits to people who do not ask its owner for permission to look around (and even so, he doesn't like people collecting on his property; he wants to leave the forest as untouched as possible).
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

I don't know how I missed commenting on this - definitely deserving of EPIC status, and it was fun going thru it again.

After chasing Ranitomeya sp. around earlier this year with a camera, I'm especially impressed with your frog shots. I don't think I've seen a better group.

-Mike
Lizardman1988

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Not to dredge up a post that's been dead for a few years, but it is a fantastic post. Great research. It gives me inspiration for my own projects later down the line. I actually looked this up because I'll be headed to Bocas del Toro sometime in July, and was curious to see what I might bump into.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

No worries for me bumping it up. I'm going back to Bocas in June for a month or so to do some more pumilio research. Prior to that, I'm going to spend 3 weeks going through western Panama teaching a study abroad course.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Very cool post, the phenotypic diversity is amazing! I like the bocas area quite a bit I'm jealous you're going back there. I almost applied for a field assistant position down there this summer working with O. pumilio that wouldn't be your work by any chance would it?
dery

Post by dery »

Nice post. Wish I saw it before.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Antonsrkn wrote:Very cool post, the phenotypic diversity is amazing! I like the bocas area quite a bit I'm jealous you're going back there. I almost applied for a field assistant position down there this summer working with O. pumilio that wouldn't be your work by any chance would it?
Nope, not me. I assume you're talking about the clay model stuff? I saw that advertisement as well. I contacted the guy to let him know I'd be there at the same time and that if we wanted to work together, we could. I'm going to be doing some diet studies on all of the dart frogs of the area.

It's going to result in a smash and grab, essentially. Unless I get funding to go to Australia, I plan on being in Panama for about a month, and hit about 10 different localities to get the different species and morphs I need. If I do get the Australia funding, I'll go back to Panama later in the year because I received a fellowship from the Smithsonian to do this diet stuff.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

I'm glad it was "dredged up." It's an amazing post, and it led to an amazing article in Herp Nation Magazine.

You can buy this back issue at this link: http://www.herpnation.com/herp-nation-store/issue-no-9/

Thanks,

Dan
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Missed this on the first round. What a great post. I knew that O. pumilio were varible, but that variable.

Good stuff.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Martti Niskanen wrote:Missed this on the first round. What a great post. I knew that O. pumilio were varible, but that variable.

Good stuff.
Haha, I would venture a guess that I didn't even scratch the surface on what I've posted here. I think there are probably another 10-15 more unique morphs in the archipelago and surrounding mainland, but those are more difficult to get to and further from Isla Colon (my home base). Pumilio are nuts.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Nope, not me. I assume you're talking about the clay model stuff? I saw that advertisement as well. I contacted the guy to let him know I'd be there at the same time and that if we wanted to work together, we could. I'm going to be doing some diet studies on all of the dart frogs of the area.

It's going to result in a smash and grab, essentially. Unless I get funding to go to Australia, I plan on being in Panama for about a month, and hit about 10 different localities to get the different species and morphs I need. If I do get the Australia funding, I'll go back to Panama later in the year because I received a fellowship from the Smithsonian to do this diet stuff.
Yeah, it was the clay modeling stuff, it had slipped my mind what the study was, but now that you said it I remember. It sounds like a pretty cool study and I definitely would have applied for the field assistant position but I have some other stuff lined up for that time and a few other hopefuls in that same corner of the world, having said that I'm regretful about missing out on going back to Panama. Only a month for the entire diet study? Something tells me that its going to be a very busy and hectic month haha, still you're going to have a great time!
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Well, it won't be that difficult really. It requires stomach extractions, so I have to euthanize frogs (doing so on the absolute minimum possible to answer my questions).