Treasures of the Sierra Madre

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike Pingleton

Treasures of the Sierra Madre

Post by Mike Pingleton »

I have wanted to herp in Mexico for a long time. My experiences south of the border had been limited to visiting border towns, so when an opportunity arose to herp in Sonora for nine days, I jumped on it. I flew to Tucson, met up with the other six guys who were going, and we made the looooong drive south in three rented Hyundais. Here are some of the highlights.

We spent the first couple days high in the mountains of the Sierra Madre, looking for small montane rattlesnakes.

We were successful in our quest, finding a number of Chihuahua Ridgenose Rattlesnakes (Crotalus willardi silus):

We also turned up a Crotalus lepidus klauberi:

Road cruising turned up some interesting finds – here’s a Chihuahuan Earth Snake, Geophis dugesii aquilonaris:

A juvenile Trimorphodon tau:

A couple Blacktails were found crossing the mountain roads:

Blacktail country:

I’ve found many a Box Turtle crossing the road, but this may be the best one yet – a Spotted Box Turtle, Terrapene nelsoni nelsoni:

It rained one night, which brought out the amphibians – here’s a Hyla eximia:

I stopped at a roadside ditch where a number of H. eximia were calling, and managed to grab a shot of a calling male:

Here was perhaps the biggest surprise for me, in a herp trip filled with surprises – Ambystoma rosaceum rosaceum, the Tarahumara or Rosy Salamander:
Unfortunately the little mole salamander was badly injured by a vehicle, and had to be euthanized the next day.

We then headed south on the serpentine mountain roads, to the southern end of Sonora, close to Sinaloa. Arriving in the evening, we immediately had our hands full of new herps. CJ spotted this Clear-Banded Coral Snake (Micrurus distans distans) crawling on the road in front of our hotel:

And this beefy Mexican Treefrog (Smilisca baudinii) was right next to the swimming pool:

Our routine was to hike around places during the day, and then road-cruise at night. First our day discoveries – we saw plenty of Ctenosaurus macrolopha:

Most of our searching took place in what is called tropical deciduous forest, of which cacti were present at the lower elevations:

A trip up a wash turned up a Beaded Lizard, Heloderma horridum exasperatum:

Kris spotted this Oxybelis aeneus on a section of fence:
We saw another Vine Snake later on and it provided plenty of photo opportunities.

Another hot and sweaty hike up in the TDF:

We had found a number of DOR boas, but here was our first live one, pictured in situ:
Shaun found this little gem on the terrace one rainy night, right outside his hotel room!

A hike up the mountains in search of desert tortoises:

Another Beaded Lizard turned up:

This odd Thamnophis cyrtopsis cyrtopsis was found along a rocky stream:
A more ‘normal’ looking Blackneck:

Smilisca fodiens from nearby:

CJ spotted this Indigo Snake:

A chubby Smilisca baudinii from nearby:

Our night drives were also rewarding. I saw this frog ambling across a dirt road and instantly knew what it was – a Mexican Monkey Frog, Pachymedusa dacnicolor!
dacnicolor was a species I had worked with back in the last century, so I was very happy to see one in the wild, and later hear them calling:

Boa constrictor imperator, found live on the road:

A heartbreaking find – DOR Lampropeltis triangulum sinaloae:

We found a number of these Longnose Snakes (Rhinocheilus lecontei antonii):

A little West Coast Rattler, Crotalus basiliscus:

The Hyundai Performance Team. These cheap little cars held up surprisingly well.

Thanks for looking!
-Mike
monklet

Re: Treasures of the Sierra Madre

Post by monklet »

Wow Mike :shock: ...I'm so jealous! What a trip, superb images too. :mrgreen:

That Long-nosed is super sweet ...of course, so are all the others. 8-)
Dr. Dark

Post by Dr. Dark »

WOW, what a KILLER trip! Some great finds and great photos!
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Really nice post, and a grand adventure. We hear so many rumors about the Sierra Madre, were security issues a concern? Did you feel safe leaving vehicles unattended? I would love to make a similar trip, I might be reluctant with a relatively large party, but maybe there is greater security in numbers...? I expecially loved seeing the cribo and ridge nosed photos. Thanks, Vic
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Very nice Mike!!! Great pics too!
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Very cool Mike, thanks for sharing your success!
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Nice job documenting the trip Mike! Everyone had a great time and I know (at least for me) this trip was definitely one of the best ones I've taken (sans the Montezuma's revenge of course!)...The herps, the locales, the locals and (last but definitely not least) the group were stellar!

Can't wait to get out with everyone again! :beer:

-Kris
Schell

Post by Schell »

Awesome finds Mike. It is tragic about that ambystoma. Thanks for sharing!!
justinm

Post by justinm »

Mike,

This was a top notch post too many wow factors to comment on them individually. Your photos and storytelling are always great, truly enjoyed reading about your trip.
chris drake

Post by chris drake »

Fantastic post! Definitely had some great finds and great pics as well. I gotta say the longnose there is definitely a goodlooking snake.

Chris
jeffpm

Post by jeffpm »

Great photos, Mike. Looks like you were hitting many of the places I've visited on my trips into Sonora. The distans is a really good find! We only found one in our times down there and have had better luck finding sinolaon milksnakes. :beer:
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Vic, one trip doesn't make me an expert, but I think Americanos are fairly safe where we were. The same common-sense safety practices that apply elsewhere also apply there. We locked our cars but I don't think anyone left anything valuable in them while unattended (ask anyone who herps with me, I take my camera with me everywhere - restaurants, bathrooms, etc.)

Most of the people we met were great, which is pretty much like anywhere.

-Mike
VICtort wrote:Really nice post, and a grand adventure. We hear so many rumors about the Sierra Madre, were security issues a concern? Did you feel safe leaving vehicles unattended? I would love to make a similar trip, I might be reluctant with a relatively large party, but maybe there is greater security in numbers...? I expecially loved seeing the cribo and ridge nosed photos. Thanks, Vic
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

It's all your fault! :mrgreen: I remember conversations with you, and some of your pictures, and I did not forget. It just took me a while to pull the trigger....

-Mike
jeffpm wrote:Great photos, Mike. Looks like you were hitting many of the places I've visited on my trips into Sonora. The distans is a really good find! We only found one in our times down there and have had better luck finding sinolaon milksnakes. :beer:
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Awesome post. Many critters I'd like to see in the wild someday...
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Fantastic trip! :thumb:

Great title for the post!

Gary
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Looks like an awesome trip, Mike!
RobK

Post by RobK »

Mike Pingleton wrote:Blacktail country:
You guys didn't hop that fence did you?

Nice job. Took me there with you and I didn't even have to get Montezuma's. Looks like a great trip, would've been worth sleeping on the couch for a week.

The truck ride to remember:
http://www.youtube.com/user/nmherper#p/ ... LYOiZMcyRo
tspuckler

Post by tspuckler »

Mike,

That looks like one scenic adventure! The Spotted Box Turtle is awesome. But I was also digging all the boas, Beaded Lizards, etc.

Tim
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

Stellar, Mike! :shock: But how do you expect anyone to write a FHF post after you post something this great? You set the bar high.
Wow, Beaded Lizards, boas, stunning crotes, corals, amphibs and that killer Longnose. One was better than the next.
I hope your next herp trip is soon because I can't wait to see your next post.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Great post...love it, love it. Those garters were awesome. The odd looking one looks hypomelanistic. Many, many gorgeous herps!!

:thumb: Terry
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

chris drake wrote:Fantastic post! Definitely had some great finds and great pics as well. I gotta say the longnose there is definitely a goodlooking snake.

Chris
Thanks Chris - the Longnoses were definitely awesome:

-Mike
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

RobK wrote:You guys didn't hop that fence did you?
Not this gringo! :D
Hunter-MX

Post by Hunter-MX »

Nice stuff! Next time you should come a little further south...Guerrero has allot to offer.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

yup - it was a good trip and a good group, Kris. Well worth my one day of trots and chills and fever :roll: :D
-Mike
azatrox wrote:Nice job documenting the trip Mike! Everyone had a great time and I know (at least for me) this trip was definitely one of the best ones I've taken (sans the Montezuma's revenge of course!)...The herps, the locales, the locals and (last but definitely not least) the group were stellar!

Can't wait to get out with everyone again! :beer:

-Kris
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

The spotted box turtle is something rarely seen posted anywhere. Nice find! I always dig boas in their natural habitat. But, the beaded lizards take the cake. Great stuff.

Oh, the cribo is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Jason_Hood

Post by Jason_Hood »

Wow Mike, killer trip!! You are supposed to leave something to go back for man, not nail it all in one trip. haha Just wow!!

Jason
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Awesome finds!
frogshot

Post by frogshot »

Fantastic post, the H. h. exasperatum must have been amazing to see in the wild.
moloch

Post by moloch »

Wonderful post, Mike. Looks like you guys had a fantastic trip. Southern Sonora must be very interesting with the blend of northern and tropical animals. How did you go with birds? Pick up Magpie-Jays and the like?

I can't get over the colour of the long-nose. What a beauty! It seems to have much more red than those further north in the States.

Nice Monkey Frog. I can't recall but did you see any monkey frogs in Peru?

Regards,
David
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

You touched on some of my favorite genera there: Phyllomedusa and Drymarchon. Wish I could've taken Tim up on his invite, looks like you guys cleaned house. :beer:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Mega Sick.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :thumb: :beer:

I am green with envy..

:shock: :shock:
:mrgreen:

Congrats on such a great trip.
Fundad
M.J.FRANETOVICH

Post by M.J.FRANETOVICH »

Mike I don't hand these out to often, but you have received a standing ovation!!!! I am literally standing at my computer and clapping :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Bravo sure bravo :beer:

Best post seen I'n a wile :thumb: :thumb:

Mel~
vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

:!: :!: :!: :!:
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Simply fantastic, Mike! I knew seeing these posts would make it even harder for me to deal with the fact that I had to skip out on this trip. Now you've done it - I'm almost in tears!

The Ambystoma is an epic find - VERY cool. Of course I like the triangulum, being a milk-head, but those Smilisca are friggin' cool! The Heloderma and Drymarchon ain't bad, either. Then you top it off with a nominate Micrurus distans?! You guys killed it. The word "jealous" doesn't even begin to cover it...

Any invert shots to share? I saw some teaser photos of the Aphonopelma at Dell's place the other night. Glorious critters, they are.

-Cole
Durban Keeper

Post by Durban Keeper »

What an incredible post! Amazing finds. Wow. Beaded lizards, boas, corals and milks. Great photography!
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

thanks for the comments, everyone, I appreciate it.

David, I did see some of the jays, and we saw a number of caracaras, which are always awesome. I saw what I think was a zone-tailed hawk, and caught a brief glimpse of some type of falcon. Inca doves were common, as were quail (name escapes me atm). Lots of kingbirds and flycatchers and roadrunners. I hear winter down there holds some great birding. I didn't see a great variety of Lepidoptera, but I did get several Ascalapha odorata, the Mexican Black Witch moth, a species I've wanted to see for a long time:

The longnose - I don't know if those are still recognized as a subspecies, or if they're lumped in lecontei with the rest. Definitely spectacular.

Monkey frogs - I only saw Phyllomedusa vaillanti in Peru (another reason to go back). My experiences with dacnicolor I'll not soon forget. Seeing that big green frog walking across a dusty dirt road at night was awesome.

-Mike
moloch wrote:Wonderful post, Mike. Looks like you guys had a fantastic trip. Southern Sonora must be very interesting with the blend of northern and tropical animals. How did you go with birds? Pick up Magpie-Jays and the like?

I can't get over the colour of the long-nose. What a beauty! It seems to have much more red than those further north in the States.

Nice Monkey Frog. I can't recall but did you see any monkey frogs in Peru?

Regards,
David
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

What... no Tropidodipsas? Don't be too upset about only finding the common stuff... maybe you'll have better luck next time :P

:beer:

-Will
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Mike, since Cole asked I can add to this by posting a bunch of invert photos when I get home if you don't mind (don't wanna hijack your thread). We saw a ton and I took quite a few pics of some gnarly lookin' inverts that others may or may not have taken.

-Kris
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Great post! I can't quite put into words the jealousy I feel about the Beaded lizards, I would go to ridiculous lengths to see one of those. I also liked the look of the boas, different than what you see further south.

This made me do a double take, looks exactly like one of those kraits/Bungarus that get posted from Asia.
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Fantastic! So many cool herps that are never posted!
Scott_Wahlberg

Post by Scott_Wahlberg »

That was great, Mike. That Tarahumara salamander would've made the trip for me.

-Scott
condyle

Post by condyle »

I thought I could only dream of Posts like this!!! The Pachymedusa topped it off for me! Thx!!!
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Please do!
-Mike
azatrox wrote:Mike, since Cole asked I can add to this by posting a bunch of invert photos when I get home if you don't mind (don't wanna hijack your thread). We saw a ton and I took quite a few pics of some gnarly lookin' inverts that others may or may not have taken.

-Kris
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

To quote my friends from Minnesota- THIS IS DOPE!
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Great account of the trip, Mike. Looks like you guys had an awesome time...wish I could've joined you.

The transparent tongue on the juvenile Trimorphodon tau is interesting.

Daniel
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Mike,
You didn't post the effigy hanging above the cliff where you decided to hunt eximia.
Alex Pepper

Post by Alex Pepper »

Very jealous of that rubidus! Awesome animal!!
KevColubrid

Post by KevColubrid »

Mike,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, good for you, blah blah blah. :D Kidding, looks like you guys had an awesome time down there. Love all the willardi.

Kevin
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

TimCO wrote:Mike,
You didn't post the effigy hanging above the cliff where you decided to hunt eximia.
You're right. Hmm, how do I frame this? We spotted this figure, high on a hill where the highway made a 90 degree turn:

I'm filing this one under C for Creepy.

-Mike
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

:D Geophis, but no mentovarius? Crazy. Gotta go back....
will lattea wrote:What... no Tropidodipsas? Don't be too upset about only finding the common stuff... maybe you'll have better luck next time :P

:beer:

-Will