Herp literature, Dominica

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

frogshot

Herp literature, Dominica

Post by frogshot »

Hi Guys

Does anyone know of a good field guide (with key) to the reptiles and amphibians of Dominica

Thanks in advance

Ben

justinm

Re: Herp literature, Dominica

Post by justinm »

I spent some time there and it's a beautiful island. I don't know if I'll be of much help on a guide for there. The locals are really knowledgeable and found some very dark boas for me. Beautiful animals, of course I lost my camera after taking pics of them. Jeff Lemm recently posted from there he may have some literature that can help.

danh

Post by danh »

johnnic

Post by johnnic »

spent quite a while there. Boa constrictor nebulosus are a tad hard to find. in the two years i was there, i only found a handful. with the amount of blood sucking bugs at night, in the end, i just paid locals to find them for me and most of the time they were not successful.

there is the endangered green iguana (Iguana delicatissima) found throughout the island and is still being eaten by the locals. they're pretty common.

there is a common colubrid snake but i never looked it up to see what species it is. it only grows to about 2 feet long. black with yellow speckles if i remember right. lots of different colorful anolis especially on the mango groves. there is a sizable looking lizard that is in the tegu family. gets about three feet long and quite common in the dry brushy areas. hope this helps.

dont' forget to see the world's most endangered amazonian parrot (the imperial parrot) on the island. overall, the most green island i've ever been to. hope this helps.

WW**

Post by WW** »

I have been there 3 times with student herp groups.

The best place to see most of the lizards as well as the colubrids (Alsophis sibonius and Liophis juliae) is Cabrits NP in the north-west - there is a network of trails through the park, and you should have good chances of seeing these diurnal snakes as well as lizards.

Anolis oculatus was common through most of the island, but is unfortunately now being displaced by the invasive Puerto Rican A. cristatellus, especially in western coastal areas.

Boas are rarely seen, as already stated - sadly, they are most common as DOR. Iguana delicatissima are moderately common but not always easy to find. The river crossing at Batalie Beach on the NW coast and also the snorkelling beach at Anse Bateaux/Champagne in the SW are fairly good places for them.

Identification is not really that difficult if you have a species list, since most genera are only represented by a single species.

The species list:

Eleutherodactylus amplinympha
Eleutherodactylus johnstonei
Eleutherodactylus martinicensis
Leptodactylus fallax
Alsophis sibonius
Ameiva fuscata
Anolis oculatus
Anolis cristatellus
Boa constrictor
Gymnophthalmus pleei
Iguana delicatissima
Liophis juliae
Mabuya mabouya
Sphaerodactylus fantasticus
Sphaerodactylus microlepis
Sphaerodactylus vincenti
Thecadactylus rapicauda

Green and hawksbill turtles are often seen while diving.

If you are going, enjoy, it's a great place!

frogshot

Post by frogshot »

Thank you for the replies, and for the info and herping tips.

I was most interested in a key for the Eleutherodactylus species, I know that Eleutherodactylus amplinympha
is associated with the higher altitudes of the island.

I would also really like to see Sphaerodactylus, any good spots for those?

Ben

spinifer

Post by spinifer »

This website has the most up to date info. You will have to navigate to Dominica via the left panel, it wont let me copy url for specific pages, only the home page.

http://www.caribherp.org/

frogshot

Post by frogshot »

spinifer wrote:This website has the most up to date info. You will have to navigate to Dominica via the left panel, it wont let me copy url for specific pages, only the home page.
Thanks for the link, strangely (According to the website) E. johnstonei is not listed under the herps of Dominica, does anyone know if there is there any doubt that it is found there?

spinifer

Post by spinifer »

That is strange because it is listed as occurring on all the other islands. Its possible that either A.) its an oversight, or B.) it has not been formally reported from the island.

WW**

Post by WW** »

E. johnstonei is introduced on Dominica, but it is there. AFAIK distinguishing it from E. martinicensis is not easy.

frogshot

Post by frogshot »

WW** wrote:E. johnstonei is introduced on Dominica, but it is there. AFAIK distinguishing it from E. martinicensis is not easy.
Thanks for the info, will try and dig out a key or species descriptions from somehwere.....