Coluber lateralis on Eastern Sierras (?)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fieldnotes

Coluber lateralis on Eastern Sierras (?)

Post by Fieldnotes »

Robert H. (or anyone) have you seen Coluber lateralis in Inyo County?
Fundad

Re: Coluber lateralis on Eastern Sierras (?)

Post by Fundad »

I would ask Robert Hansen..

Fundad
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Will, I am not sure who you mean by Robert H. (Robert Hansen?), but I have never even been to Inyo County :)

Robert
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Ooops.. yes im thinking that if anyone knows it would be Hansen.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Hey Will do you want his email address?

One of the nicest people I know.... Smart too. :D

Fundad
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Oh thanks Brian; I have Roberts email and will email him if he doesnt visit the forum. I just thought that someone else out there in the "field herp'n world" might have seen one.
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Yes they are
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Hey.. thanks mike :thumb:
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

William:
A few years ago when I was making searches for C. bottae in the rock outcrops a few hundred meters west of the S. Fork, Kern River at Kennedy Meadows, I came across 2 - 3 Striped Racers amongst the snakes I observed. I mentioned this to Robert Hansen and if my recollection is correct, he indicated that such observations of the species was further east than previously known for the species. But that locality is still about 20 miles or more from the Inyo County line.

Richard F. Hoyer
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Hey Richard, nice to see you on the forum, either I have been missing your posts or you've been relaxing for a while. Thanks for the info about observations of Striped Whipsnakes.

Congrat on the successful Contia longicaudae paper.
:beer:

Will
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

William:
As for the new species of Sharp-tailed Snake, that project almost never got off the ground. When in the late 1990's I described the discovery of the new species, my first draft of a shorter communication was rejected by the associate editor and both reviewers. One reviewer was so incensed at my proposing that new species had been discovered that he refused to even provide a review of my draft.

At the suggestion of the editor, I converted that draft to a full length research article and he sent it to a different associate editor who along with one another reviewer, also rejected that draft. That is, 5 of 6 professional herpetologists rejected the notion that a new species of snake in the genus Contia had been discovered here on the West Coast. Fortunately, one reviewer understood and provided a good review with a number of suggested changes which I incorporated in that paper. I was then able to convince the editor to accept that paper over the objections of his two associate editors and 3 reviewers. Had that paper never seen the light of day, then the formal description of the Forest Sharp-tailed Snake would never have been produced.

The reason it took so long to produce the formal description of the new species is that I needed to wait for Chris Feldman to complete his PhD requirements at Utah State U.

With my focus now solely on the Rubber Boa, not much to post that would be of interest to those on this forum.

Richard F. Hoyer
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

What a dilemma, that’s hard to believe about the Contia because it looks so obvious now (after the facts) as a distinct taxon. If there is any way I can help with your boa research don’t hesitate to email. Soon I’m heading up to the Eastern Sierras, going high this time, heading to the 7000-11,000 ft. zone. Habitat in that region looks great for boas, so I’m going to be keeping my eyes open.
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

I have found shed skins near independence, and almost caught one up near bridgeport, I believe they range throughought the desert side of the eastern sierras.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I've heard that Desert Whipsnakes have been reported in the 9 mile area, which I found rather astounding... perhaps they meant striped racer... :o I found a dor striped racer up in Monteray Co (I think) coming down the Los Padres into that army base (Liggett something) Hell n gone from Inyo, I know...but tripped me out... almost as much as the red-sided garter I saw in SLO a couple of hrs later... :crazyeyes: jim
PS... Will... anything to the rumors that Carrizo plains crotes may earn their own species status?
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Jim sorry for the delayed response to your post, I was in the High Sierras for a while. As for the Carrizo Plain rattler question. Personally, I have not heard anything about them being seperated into Species nor subspecies.