Shameless self-promotion

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Warren

Shameless self-promotion

Post by Warren »

If you remember Hans' post about our herping trip, I have some videos from that world tour if anyone's interested.
They cover Israel, Taiwan, and the Philippines.
I'll link to some herping vids here and some bug vids in the invert forum. It's just me fooling around with an iPhone 3GS, not trying to do a nature show like the 15-year-olds on here (I'm 34), but criticism (on YouTube) is welcomed. That's how you improve, right? And most of them are short, to minimize viewer pain :D

There's a ton of them, but a bunch are on pavement so they're too embarrassing to post here.

Thanks,

Warren
The Real Snake Man

Re: Shameless self-promotion

Post by The Real Snake Man »

The Cerastes burying itself is just insane.
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Great stuff Warren, the stuff from Israel is especially interesting since we don't often get to see stuff from there. The Atractaspis was very cool. How was herping in that area?

Jon
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jon Wedow wrote:How was herping in that area?
It was fun! (not sure what you're asking)
fins72

Post by fins72 »

Wow, I agree the Cerastes vid is awesome! I also like the Sphenops. Its cool how they are so similar to the Neoseps of Florida.
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Warren wrote:
Jon Wedow wrote:How was herping in that area?
It was fun! (not sure what you're asking)
Yes herping is always fun isn't it!? Did you come across many snakes at night? And did you feel safe herping in that area?
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Hi Warren,

thanks for posting :thumb:

It was nice meeting you out in the desert but somehow I forgot your name so I never realized who you were though I've read and enjoyed several of your posts here :?

Nice to see some of the animals from that evening again and good to see you did well later on in Israel and elsewhere (Atractaspis are awesome :) ) after getting out late for road cruising a couple of nights earlier ;)

Regards,

Kristian
Warren

Post by Warren »

Did you come across many snakes at night? And did you feel safe herping in that area?
Hi Jon,

Kris might be able to answer that better than me, because he saw a lot more than I did. I came across a few snakes per night and felt totally safe. It's like herping anywhere: if you don't know what to look for, it's very hard, but if you go with a local, your lifers become trash snakes in a matter of minutes because you see so many of them :thumb:
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Warren wrote:
Did you come across many snakes at night? And did you feel safe herping in that area?
Hi Jon,

Kris might be able to answer that better than me, because he saw a lot more than I did. I came across a few snakes per night and felt totally safe. It's like herping anywhere: if you don't know what to look for, it's very hard, but if you go with a local, your lifers become trash snakes in a matter of minutes because you see so many of them :thumb:
I can only echo Warren's sentiments. I had a very succesful night in the dunes with Warren and a local guy and an excellent night road cruising with a couple of locals. My results road cruising by myself were somewhat meagre. In the daytime I did very well by myself a lot of the time but it was a little bit up and down. All in all it was a fantastic herping experience though, and I was very pleased with my results.

In terms of safety I felt very secure throughout even though I spent a great deal of time by myself in desolate border regions often at night and occasionally encountering heavily armed - but always friendly - military personnel.
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Thanks for the input guys. Kris I just stumbled upon your posts right now and they are amazing! It sure seems like a herp rich environment! Thanks for sharing!
Todd McKinney

Post by Todd McKinney »

Cerastes = Awesome!