SLC Herping?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike Pingleton

SLC Herping?

Post by Mike Pingleton »

I'm going to be in Salt Lake City next week for a conference. I have a couple extra days thrown in for some herping (Friday and Saturday, 7/22 and 7/23). Is anyone herping either of those days, and would you mind if a corn-fed flatlander came along? I'm pretty clueless as to summer herping in that area, but Charina is high on my list. Send me a PM if you like.

thanks, Mike
Jimi

Re: SLC Herping?

Post by Jimi »

Hi Mike!

Sorry to miss you - I'll be out of town next week and weekend. Hopefully someone will respond helpfully.

I'm really still getting to know Utah but from my experience July is probably the worst single non-frozen month to come here. On the other hand, we got so much snow this year that it's still really moist way up high (I'm still hiking into snow most weekends - just hiking, not herping).

There's a couple guys here could probably help out with the boa. I saw one maybe a month ago a few miles east of town, about 7000'. It was just out crawling, I wasn't looking. I'll PM with the canyon and directions. Clouds and a chance of rain would help your odds. Watch the monsoon pulses.

Cheers,
Jimi
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

thanks, Jimi. Looks like a chance for some scattered showers tomorrow.
-Mike
Jimi wrote:Hi Mike!

Sorry to miss you - I'll be out of town next week and weekend. Hopefully someone will respond helpfully.

I'm really still getting to know Utah but from my experience July is probably the worst single non-frozen month to come here. On the other hand, we got so much snow this year that it's still really moist way up high (I'm still hiking into snow most weekends - just hiking, not herping).

There's a couple guys here could probably help out with the boa. I saw one maybe a month ago a few miles east of town, about 7000'. It was just out crawling, I wasn't looking. I'll PM with the canyon and directions. Clouds and a chance of rain would help your odds. Watch the monsoon pulses.

Cheers,
Jimi
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

conditions are good for boas right now Mike let me know and we will go
Jeremy Westerman

Two rubber boas, a vagrans garter, two moose, a bunch of rock squirrels and yellow bellied marmots, and two tired herp hikers. What a great outing Mike can't wait for your pics that don't reveal my spots... ;)
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Jeremy Westerman wrote:Two rubber boas, a vagrans garter, two moose, a bunch of rock squirrels and yellow bellied marmots, and two tired herp hikers. What a great outing Mike can't wait for your pics that don't reveal my spots... ;)
I'll get them up this week....
Jeremy Westerman

Mike hard at work with his first rubber boa (I found one earlier but he gets all the credit on this one) ImageImageImageImage
And his first moose Image
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Was that just up the end of Mill Creek or what? Oh wait, don't give away any secret spots! Ha ha...

Mike's first rubboa was pretty decent-sized, huh? Nice.

Glad the moose encounters didn't go south. Them things can be damn nasty.

Cheers,
Jimi