Southeast Chapter Member Biographies

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Re: Southeast Chapter Member Biographies

Post by Noah M »

Hey Tim. Good to see you on this forum.

Hope to see many good pictures and videos from you.
Swamp Crawler

Post by Swamp Crawler »

Hello everyone!!! I'm Andrew and I live in Columbia, SC. Originally from Vancouver, WA. I have lived all over the United States including Arizona and Indiana. I have been a member of this Forum longer then 99.9% of everyone on here now. I was originally member #3 when Scott and JP started this forum. I was a test Guinea Pig.

I enjoy exploring the wilds every chance I get. So if anyone is in the Southeast and wants to chase a few critters let me know.

Thanks
Andrew
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Welcome back, Andrew.
ToddB

Post by ToddB »

Hello everyone. My name is Todd, I was username svreptiles on the old site before the crash. I'm here west of Gainesville in Trenton, Fl. I got kinda sidetracked by life (jobs, kids, etc.) and haven't been very active in the field for a few years. I'm really looking forward to getting back out again, especially with my kids, who are now the perfect age to start herping. If anyone is interested in getting out in this area some weekend, please shoot me a message.
eminart

Post by eminart »

Ignorant new guy here. I live in Huntsville, AL, and have lived most of my life in northern AL. I've been "herping" since I was old enough to explore the woods around the rural home where I grew up (I'm 38 now). Of course, I called it "looking for snakes" and I've really never gotten into it in any official way. I have lots to learn, especially with taxonomic names. Most of my adult "herping" has been more incidental while out doing other activities. I'd like to start doing some more trips with herping in mind specifically. I'm here to learn and share experiences with like-minded people.

Also, I don't know how it flies with this group, but I've also always been a reptile keeper. When I was a kid, I did sometimes keep wild-caught specimens, but now I only work with captive-bred animals.

Anyway, Hi.

I'll add a photo of one of my favorite herp finds in the past few years.

PrimitiveTim wrote:My name is Tim and I live on the central east coast of Florida near the Kennedy Space Center. I'm part of the generation that was inspired by Steve Irwin. I love everything outside. I caught my first snake when I was 12 and I've been interested in herps ever since. .

Hey, Tim, I'm a fan of your videos! I follow you on animalbytestv.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

eminart wrote:Also, I don't know how it flies with this group, but I've also always been a reptile keeper. When I was a kid, I did sometimes keep wild-caught specimens, but now I only work with captive-bred animals.

Anyway, Hi.
Welcome. Glad to have you here. There are a few keepers among the ranks. If you go back to the main page for Field Herp Forum and scroll down to the bottom, below the link to the SE chapter subforum, you will see another subforum for captives there. Introduce yourself there as well, and tell us what all you are working with.

Looking forward to your pics. Nice canebrake, by the way.

--Berkeley
eminart

Post by eminart »

Berkeley Boone wrote:
eminart wrote:Also, I don't know how it flies with this group, but I've also always been a reptile keeper. When I was a kid, I did sometimes keep wild-caught specimens, but now I only work with captive-bred animals.

Anyway, Hi.
Welcome. Glad to have you here. There are a few keepers among the ranks. If you go back to the main page for Field Herp Forum and scroll down to the bottom, below the link to the SE chapter subforum, you will see another subforum for captives there. Introduce yourself there as well, and tell us what all you are working with.

Looking forward to your pics. Nice canebrake, by the way.

--Berkeley

Thanks! I made an intro post over there, with a few photos of my current reptiles.
kevin h

Post by kevin h »

Figured it's about time I did this. My name is Kevin Hutcheson I'm currently a sophomore in a local high school here in Lexington, KY. I've lived here all my life (unfortunately) and I hope to one day be a teacher of environmental sciences. My main passions are herping (of course), America's National Park Service, history of all kinds but U.S. is my favorite and a whole bunch of other nerdy things. I also love classic rock with my favorite band being either The Rolling Stones or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. My favorite herp is the Green Salamander, followed by a Mud Snake (which I've never seen), and a Diamondback Terrapin (which I've also never seen). I'm currently on a mission to document every salamander native to KY and I only have 2 out of 35 left. Anytime you are in KY for some ridiculous reason and want to herp shoot me a PM.

Thanks, Kevin.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Welcome Kevin. What 2 sally species are you missing?
joegordon43

Post by joegordon43 »

I've been lurking for some time but decided that there was no good reason not to post to introduce myself.

In July 2015 I moved to central Florida (St. Cloud/Kissimmee) to begin teaching religious studies at Johnson University Florida in Kissimmee. Prior to that I was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, working on my Ph.D. at Marquette University. I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri.

I have been interested in reptiles and amphibians for most of my life. I have a special love for snakes and enjoy studying them and educating others about them. Since I completed my Ph.D. this spring, I have begun reading academic articles on snake biology (primarily on taxonomy); I have a (perhaps) peculiar interest in thinking about the relationships between scientific method, philosophy, and religious thought about the natural world.

I am married to Charis (pronounced Cuh-reese) and when I am not working or outdoors I enjoy playing and watching hockey and soccer. Charis graciously joins me on field herping excursions, but I am hoping to connect with folks in the area to hike and road cruise.

-Joe
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Welcome!!