fanning the flames

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jimi

fanning the flames

Post by Jimi »

On account of a) my learning (well, we'll see...) how to stick a pic, b) the evident pleasure you/we all take in arguing Colorado Plateau rattlesnake identity, and c) the recent thread re: "herps eating" (or some such), have a look at this. Please ignore what I called it. It came from Utah, in the triangle bounded by Hanksville, Green River town, and Emery. Snapped by a BLM biologist.

[img][IMG]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... ncolor.jpg[/img][/img]

Cheers,
Jimi
KingCam

Re: fanning the flames

Post by KingCam »

Fixed:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Thanks. So what's the procedure?

What doesn't work is hitting the Img button in the toolbar above, hitting "Share" and then selecting "Img" in photobucket, and then hitting ctrl-V so the image link gets inserted between the |img| thingies. My settings are img on and url on.

Why I give a shit today I can't say. I've avoided this for YEARS.

Cheers,
Jimi
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Oh yeah, dinner is an Ord's k-rat.
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Jimi wrote:Thanks. So what's the procedure?

What doesn't work is hitting the Img button in the toolbar above, hitting "Share" and then selecting "Img" in photobucket, and then hitting ctrl-V so the image link gets inserted between the |img| thingies. My settings are img on and url on.

Why I give a shit today I can't say. I've avoided this for YEARS.

Cheers,
Jimi
Just look at the code, you have TWO pairs of [img] tags around your link. Reduce it to just one (lowercase) pair.
(You can hit the "quote" button on my fixed version of your photo to see how the code looks when it's done properly)
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Like these flames needed a bellow. Sweet concolor.
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

TimCO wrote:Like these flames needed a bellow. Sweet concolor.
:lol:
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I second that. Beautiful concolor!
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Thought I'd give this old thing a bump in a nod to Thomas' buzztail quiz. Since the chapter has (thankfully) lightened up a little on the locality stuff, and folks are getting a real eyeful and brain-full of UT crote phenotypic diversity - this one is from the Flattops area. Across the highway from Goblin Valley.

This animal looks like the ones I've seen across the highway - kinda peachy and with plenty of pattern. (Some places they just bleach or mud out.) And not near as orange as you'd expect given the local dirt color. Anyway these (and all the way down to Bullfrog) are interesting in that they didn't read the work out of WY and realize they need rock outcrops for rookeries and hibernacula. These here are "prairie rattlers", way out in deep sand. I (and others here) think UT concolor are actually nowhere near as tied to rock as people would have you believe. I'm thinking these overwinter in mammal burrows. No proof, just circumstantial evidence.

Could make a cool, fun, hard master's or PhD project, if you could find the funding. Probably some dietary differences (fat rodents in sand vs bony lizards in rocks) thus life history repercussions (litter size & mass, growth rates, age at maturity, etc) from that. Just sayin'...there's some good work here for someone with focus, drive, and tenacity.

Cheers,
Jimi
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

I scoured that high desert by flat tops and didn't even see so much as a snake track in the very trackable sand (I noted hundreds of mammal tracks, invertebrates and lizard tracks) in a ten mile hike across the sandy brush plains. I left with plenty of daylight left in the evening and I didn't get back to camp until daylight was breaking around 530am with little to show for hours of effort: ten scorpions blacklighted (very low for a region with a bunch of psamnophilous species), some mammal tracks photo'd and some sore feet. I had road cruised two gopher snakes on an earlier expedition in that area on the Hans Flat road and had made note of the Dipodomys burrow clusters as good potential sites for snakes (there really isn't much else as a potential shelter site out there so they have to be denning in mammal burrows) and here some BLM dude casually snaps \proof of the very theory I was investigating. Go figure. I didn't start to see a lot of snake sign until I was down in the major canyon drainage to the Southeast a few days later. I wonder if he found it off the cliff edge in the lower country to the North of the Flat Tops...any snake found out there is a major stroke of luck.